Tone Magnet

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
Has anyone seem the Tone magnet?
They had a demo set up at the Haydock guitar show
https://tonemagnet.com/products/preorder-the-tone-magnet
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1582/8715/products/Render_227c1c07-4ef9-4c09-851b-2cbb7e04211f_1024x1024@2x.JPG?v=1492957449

It's for a strat, it attaches itself (temporarily) to the back of the trem block (on the front of the guitar), aims to thicken the sound
I assume this is by adding mass?

I could hear a difference, the demo strat had 3 springs, and the trem springs were not set as tight as I would have them
I think the cost could be an obstacle, but I have no idea how much they cost to make
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7869
    A powerful magnet so close to the pickups can't be a good thing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    TheMarlin said:

This will probably degauss the magnets in your pickups. 

I also can't see how it would reduce string tension. 

Also if the trem is magnetic, wouldn't this make it harder to use? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

Inventing things for the sake of it? A TC Spark Boost Mini is £40 and can thicken the tone of a Strat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28228
    TheMarlin said:

This will probably degauss the magnets in your pickups.
    Probably not - it's a fair way away from them.

Though if it affects string tension it'll put the guitar out of tune.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922
    Also,  anyone who wants to dramatically thicken up a Strat tone isn't getting what Strats are about.

It's rather like saying a Twin Reverb needs a high gain channel.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6117
    Gassage said:
    Also,  anyone who wants to dramatically thicken up a Strat tone isn't getting what Strats are about.

It's rather like saying a Twin Reverb needs a high gain channel.

But of course a Twin Reverb needs a high gain channel. I don't know.. tut.. these amateurs eh!
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Pretty funny stuff. Trying to be restrained here.
    If it's so great why not show us on the demo. I shall be investing my Primary Tone cash elsewhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10431
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    I use neodymium magnets to strip the charge out of alnico for re-gaussing and polarity change. It has a marginal effect on ceramic magnets, but alnico can be seriously screwed up by the proximity of neos. Personally I wouldn't get a neo with any significant mass within inches of my pickups ... not worth the risk. You can weaken mags and simply notice a tone shift or lack of output. True most of the time you can get someone like me to re magnetise your pickups in the correct orientation, but it is less easy with alnico 5 than other alnicos, and it costs money!
    In the Oil City workshop our huge 'charging neos' have their own area, and no healthy pickups are allowed within feet of them.  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    ToneMagnet.com said:
    "causing a subtle but unmistakable tonal improvement."
    Sounds like a job for a high mass sustain block.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7869
    ToneMagnet.com said:
    "causing a subtle but unmistakable tonal improvement."
    Sounds like a job for a high mass sustain block.
    It would be a wiser choice. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'm dubious.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    FFS!
    If you want a thicker, more compressed, muddy and inferior sound don't get a Strat.
    Why are people always trying to change what is an excellent sounding guitar?
    Grrrrrr, it makes me so mad!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It's all so unnecessary anyway. When I want to add mass to my Strat to increase sustain, thickness and "tone", I use 4 of these clamped unobtrusively to the body and neck.

Image result for g clamps
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader
    Image result for fathead for guitarsWho remembers the Fathead - from the USA a 'resonant brass plate' that fitted under your tuners, to add mass and more 'sustain' - designed by Aspen Pittman of Groove Tubes fame - similar idea to a degree - So who tried one
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    I heard the demo - it certainly added a (subtle) low-end lift. Whether it sounded 'better' is debatable - it unquestably sounded 'different'.

There is of course a very significant issue with it - its bloody ugly....
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16676
    Image result for fathead for guitarsWho remembers the Fathead - from the USA a 'resonant brass plate' that fitted under your tuners, to add mass and more 'sustain' - designed by Aspen Pittman of Groove Tubes fame - similar idea to a degree - So who tried one

it can change the resonant frequency of the neck.   Potentially useful if you had dead spots.

But you can test the idea really easily and make up your own mind

like this

Sassafras said:
    It's all so unnecessary anyway. When I want to add mass to my Strat to increase sustain, thickness and "tone", I use 4 of these clamped unobtrusively to the body and neck.

Image result for g clamps

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11756
    Has anyone seem the Tone magnet?
    They had a demo set up at the Haydock guitar show
    https://tonemagnet.com/products/preorder-the-tone-magnet
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1582/8715/products/Render_227c1c07-4ef9-4c09-851b-2cbb7e04211f_1024x1024@2x.JPG?v=1492957449

It's for a strat, it attaches itself (temporarily) to the back of the trem block (on the front of the guitar), aims to thicken the sound
    I assume this is by adding mass?

I could hear a difference, the demo strat had 3 springs, and the trem springs were not set as tight as I would have them
    I think the cost could be an obstacle, but I have no idea how much they cost to make
    But can I dissolve it in my coffee like the other sugar pills they give me??!!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lock and block the trem ... similar tonal shift ... 
    If the magnets are strong enough to allow you to use the trem vigorously ... to my mind they are too strong to be allowed near me pickups. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited May 2017 tFB Trader

A quick and dirty test ... adding the mass of a couple of neos behind the bridge ... yep ... it changes the sound a bit. Cost ... around four quid ... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901

A quick and dirty test ... adding the mass of a couple of neos behind the bridge ... yep ... it changes the sound a bit. Cost ... around four quid ... 
    can you clamp the same weight on the bridge to compare?

I'm wondering if it changes the shape of the magnetic fields around the coils???