My Video demos of a couple of Colin Keefe Acoustic Guitars...

What's Hot
smogfallssmogfalls Frets: 148
So, as a South Notts lad, I'm lucky to live just 20 minutes away from one of the greatest acoustic guitar makers out there and the only guy I trust to carry out intensive repair work on anything valuable or vintage! His name is Colin Keefe and he is currently re-working his website. He has been loaning me a few of his guitars over the past few weeks for me to record some demo videos and soundclips of. Thought I might as well share my videos with you lovely folk here too...

Cedar Top Cutaway...

Spruce top Jumbo...

Cheers,
Alex :)
My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Both sound great, but I think I prefer the sound of the cedar topped one. Supercool lamp by the way.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Nice. That jumbo sounds huge and lovely.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Both sound great, but I think I prefer the sound of the cedar topped one. Supercool lamp by the way.
    I played a cedar-topped Lowden yesterday, which belongs to someone on the forum. I'm not generally a fan of Lowdens - but that was a stunner. Really clear, balanced - and surprisingly loud.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Stunning sounding guitars and tasty paying too!

Loved the sound of the jumbo, but, I just know it would be too large for me to be comfortable playing. More's the pity! 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    ^ Ditto.

Also +1 on the lamp comment. :D
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Alex, lucky you having access to a good maker / repairer.
    I prefer modern jumbo / big guitars sound wise and that one don't disappoint.
    Really enjoyed your other vids also.
    Funny thing bout 'cedar' topped guitars - I have one, volume / definition  has never been in question and I know there's quite a few play them mainly as rhythm instruments competing with fiddles squeeze boxes and various 'pipes', by choice - in Scots / Irish trad groups. Also Citterns, Mandolas etc - now why would they do that ?.
    Go to OLF and they simply advise 'working' it differently - i.e. proportions / bracing - eh, like Lowden has done for over 40 yrs !.
    Sure if you 'work' it like spruce you wont get the best from it - but its a different material - so why would you ?.
    Builders are good people to know for dispelling 'Fake Facts'.
    I have a suspicion that the 'myth' came about because of the popularity of far eastern use of cedar back in the '80's / '90's in plug 'n play models - fairly lightly built tops, OK when plugged in but 'distorting' when thrashed - acoustically.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom