Katana Tone Studio - Not available from Boss

What's Hot
dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 110
I bought a K100 1x12 a few weeks ago and recently decided to give the Tone Studio a whirl as I'd like to try some of the other effects available. I went to the Boss website and get the message
'BOSS Tone Studio for Windows is currently unavailable. The application does not install correctly in some PC environments. Thank you in advance for your understanding.' and no download link.
I managed to find what seem to be a couple of links to the 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 files 
on Boss servers but both give a file corrupt message when I try to install them.

I don't suppose anyone has working version of either that will install on Windows 10 they could Dropbox for me? One of the reasons I bought this amp was that it should be pretty configurable but I'm a bit lost without the software unless there's a way to do it manually via the amp's controls.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    That's not great, is it!  :o
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Ironically there is a Mac version !
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I bought a K100 1x12 a few weeks ago and recently decided to give the Tone Studio a whirl as I'd like to try some of the other effects available. I went to the Boss website and get the message
    'BOSS Tone Studio for Windows is currently unavailable. The application does not install correctly in some PC environments. Thank you in advance for your understanding.' and no download link.
    I managed to find what seem to be a couple of links to the 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 files 
    on Boss servers but both give a file corrupt message when I try to install them.

I don't suppose anyone has working version of either that will install on Windows 10 they could Dropbox for me? One of the reasons I bought this amp was that it should be pretty configurable but I'm a bit lost without the software unless there's a way to do it manually via the amp's controls.

Ive got it on my Windows 10 laptop and it works fine.

Not sure how I would go about sending the software though... Not THAT tech-savvy.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Try running the link for the download page through Archive.org, sometimes they have the old software file archived there too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    there is a facebook users group simply called katana amps, i read about the problem and the various solutions, if youre on facebook might be worth a look. as yet i havnt  looked at tone studio. my biggest gripe is the unavailability of the gafc foot controller
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I haven't tried tone studio yet . . but when I do . . . woah momma
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Boss have realised that where as  us Mac users are all rich discerning geniuses ,Micro soft users are all spotty plebs  using Russian KGB technology  as their  defence against Russian hacks .
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 110
    Update - I found a link from someone on thegearpage that had stripped out the offending problem with the Boss installer and I now have it installed. If anyone wants this (along with the obvious risk of it having been modified by a 3rd party) let me know and I can either give you a link or dropbox the file somewhere.

So, having had a play with it last night it's not quite what I was expecting. For editing of parameters it was great and as straight forward as you can get. What I couldn't work out was how to have more than 6 effects in the chain as they all appear to be linked to the buttons on the amp. For example if I wanted to stack drives I couldn't see a way of doing it, the same with delays.

I wish I'd picked up the foot controller at the same time I bought the amp as there were a few places with it in stock.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296

Aye the GA-FC has been difficult to get hold of. I got mine from Amazon for £85 delivered....have a look there and put it in your basket as it will let you know changes to pricing etc.

Tone Studio - hope you got it sorted and running. There is a Sneaky Amps program being discussed on Gearpage that opens up even more. Perhaps Boss have caught onto that and are working around it.?

rossi said:
    Boss have realised that where as  us Mac users are all rich discerning geniuses ,Micro soft users are all spotty plebs  using Russian KGB technology  as their  defence against Russian hacks .
    You are so right. I could see Boss concentrating on the Mac versions in the future because Macs just work and this is proof!  Mac users don't need anyone to modify the Boss Tone Studio software because it works perfectly.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11680
    rossi said:
    Your autocorrect could use a little work though...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rossi said:
    Your autocorrect could use a little work though...
    He was probably posting from a Windows 10
    computer.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seriously though,   Try this here. 

https://github.com/katana-dev
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Have to say that between the back-ordered GA-FC and the broken Tone Studio I'm just a little disapointed by Boss at the moment.

The amp itself is great but in the absence of the foot controller and some way of loading up one of the fuzz effect models it's just an unnecessarily large, unnecessarily loud but very nice sounding home practice amp at the moment.

I'll probably take it to rehearsal next week to try it out in pedal platform mode (and I suspect it'll be pretty good) but I was kind of looking forward to seeing how it works as an all-in-one rehearsal and easy in/out gig solution...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I tried to access the online effects when I first got my Katana 50 a few months ago and after following numerous steps several times gave up.  I'll have to try the links posted here later, but so far I haven't really been feeling the need.   I have a footswitch that works great with the channel switch function, and a distortion pedal, all the bases I need for my bands music are covered.  My interest in exploring new sounds will probably win over though.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11680
    so what footswitches can do a simple channel switch on the katana?  cheap ones?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    so what footswitches can do a simple channel switch on the katana?  cheap ones?
    Yeah, it's just an on/off switch, I had one already built in to the distortion unit I put together that I used to use as a direct out when I used two amps.     The channels are easy to program, it's only two but it saves having another pedal in the chain.  This is only good with the 50 watt model. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    The 100 up amps have a dedicated roland switch, GA FC foot controller. It's pretty fixed at £85 everywhere, if you can find it in stock. It does do an awful lot though, and I'm not aware of a third party one that works. 

I followed the process above and got tonestudio working fine last night. You just have to be careful about the order.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Bloody hell!

I can confirm that the changing the date thing works. Now I'm just wondering why it's taking Boss/Roland more than a couple of days to work out what the underlying issue is, fix it, and upload a new version of the installer... :-(
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom