Martins... which are the good years?

What's Hot
Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
edited May 2017 in Acoustics

I'm looking at Martin Dreadnoughts... maybe a D41 or D42... from anytime in the past 20 years. Are there any good periods or bad periods? Have the specs changed at any specific points? How do current production models measure up?

Thanks for your help.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Not sure about years, but I think your money would be better spent on a D18V or HD28V.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4193
    There may be the odd spec change to models over the last 20 yrs but I don't think there are any particularly good or bad periods of production within that time. A new D42 will be on a par with any from the last 20 yrs.
  • @Lewy Thanks for the info.

@BigLicks67 Thanks. What factors would make you choose a D18V or HD28V over a D41?

I've not played loads of Martin Ds... so I'm keen to find out more.  Over the years, I've tried a few D18s, D28s, HD28s, D35s in various shops and I helped a friend choose a HD28V. However, I recently played a new D41 that seemed to have something extra (I know if doesn't have the forward shifted bracing of a HD28V or a D42... but, for some reason, it just worked for me).  That said, I've not played many D41 - 45 high end thingys... so I didn't want to just leap at the first one I've played recently. I'm not really a fan of the abalone bling... but I can overlook that - for the 'right' guitar.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I'd definitely buy used - solid wood guitars improve noticeably with time - so a well played-in example is likely to sound better than a new one.

Probably the best sounding Dreadnought I've ever played was a '73 D35 - not considered a 'great' period - but it was a stunner. And at £1300, much cheaper than a new one....
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited May 2017

@Lewy Thanks for the info.

@BigLicks67 Thanks. What factors would make you choose a D18V or HD28V over a D41?

I've not played loads of Martin Ds... so I'm keen to find out more.  Over the years, I've tried a few D18s, D28s, HD28s, D35s in various shops and I helped a friend choose a HD28V. However, I recently played a new D41 that seemed to have something extra (I know if doesn't have the forward shifted bracing of a HD28V or a D42... but, for some reason, it just worked for me).  That said, I've not played many D41 - 45 high end thingys... so I didn't want to just leap at the first one I've played recently. I'm not really a fan of the abalone bling... but I can overlook that - for the 'right' guitar.

Without the abalone purfling and rosette the D41 has the same 5/16" X bracing as the D-28, and Sitka over EIR but the D-41 will have a higher wood grade.  The impact of that with abalone could make a difference in sound between the two, but I myself would be more inclined to look for a D28 as more dealers have them and try as many and pick the one I liked the most. 

Aside from a S/H on ebay I can't really seem to find many sold listing prices for D41's aside from a mid 70's one.  70's - 80's Martins aren't really held with a huge amount of affection by the die hard Martin fans, it's kind of the company Norlin era when they used huge bridge plates for bracing and popular mods are replacing the bridge plate with something smaller which isn't to say all Martins in the era are bad guitars, some are supposed to be excellent.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494

I'd definitely buy used - solid wood guitars improve noticeably with time - so a well played-in example is likely to sound better than a new one.

Buying a S/H acoustic guitar can be a bit more tricky than buying a S/H guitar.  Pre '85 Martins do not have an adjustable truss rod, so that maybe an issue.  Other issues which can be very tricky/expensive to address are humidity damage or the guitar requiring a neck reset.  
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766

@Lewy Thanks for the info.

If you like the standard but scalloped x bracing then a standard HD28 would do the job in theory. I'd go for a D18V or a HD28V, for 2 reasons one I played a D18V recently and it was one the best acoustics I've played with tremendous resonance and 2 pound for pound it would be much better choice for your wallet. I also don't like the bling of 40 series guitars. 
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    I'm going with general consensus here too. When I got my hd28v I sold my d41. The d41 had more overtones but the 28v had more power and punch to my ears. A post 2012 18v  is one of best Martins currently for sale pound for pound.light as a feather as well. Nothing whatsoever wrong with a d41 either but you do pay for the bling.i belive the d42 has the forward shifted bracing so should sound similar to the 28v.you could probably buy a hd28v and a d18 for same price though.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    It's entirely possible the D41 you tried genuinely had something extra...in which case buy that specific guitar if you can afford it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Very nicely priced d41 on Gumtree actually.
  • So... I'm hearing a lot of love here for HD28Vs.  I'm just not sure about the tone of the forward shifted bracing. I guess I need to get out and try a few more of the various models.

Bearing in mind that I liked the sound of the D41 that I tried... would a HD28 sound a bit closer to a D41... and a HD28V sound less like a D41? I'm assuming that a D41 and HD28 have similar bracing (scalloped 5/16 Sitka... and not forward shifted???).

28v and d42 are forward shifted,and yes the hd28 and d41 aren't. I believe they all have scalloped bracing but somebody may correct me there.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    The HD28 is scalloped but not forward shifted. I love mine but would also love to try an HD28V having heard so many good things.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • songmansongman Frets: 5
    edited May 2017
    HD28V all the way here. If you can, go play it and compare to D28 or HD28. In my case the V was the clear winner even though the HD28 and the D28 too were great guitars, it just had that little extra. Full and balanced, warm and sparkly. I use Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze strings on it now.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Probably the best sounding Dreadnought I've ever played was a '73 D35 - not considered a 'great' period - but it was a stunner. And at £1300, much cheaper than a new one....
    @richardhomer I don't suppose that was recent was it? I'd be interested if still available.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    fob said:
    @richardhomer I don't suppose that was recent was it? I'd be interested if still available.
    It was at a guitar show in February. I foolishly let my head rule my heart and didn't buy it....
  • fob said:
    It was at a guitar show in February. I foolishly let my head rule my heart and didn't buy it....

In fairness, a guitar show can be a difficult environment when you're trying to decide on the purchase of an acoustic. Noise, buzz, pressure... doesn't help.
  • guycpguycp Frets: 30
    As a general rule, standard Martins have improved specs from 2011. However Golden Era and Authentic models are always better in any year. If you are after a vintage model, anything before 1969, -70s models are not generally regarded as the best, but there are always exceptions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @guycp. Thanks for the info. Do you have any info. on how the specs of standard models improved in 2011? Thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    guycp said:
    As a general rule, standard Martins have improved specs from 2011. However Golden Era and Authentic models are always better in any year.
    Hmmm… I know someone with a Golden Era D18, and it's not only no better-sounding than a standard one (if anything worse, it's thinner and less punchy) it has a poorly-made neck join that has needed regluing.

It may be only one poor example, but I'm not at all impressed and I certainly wouldn't buy one based on that experience.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein