1959 Vox AC15 Two-Tone Advice

What's Hot
jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
edited May 2017 in Amps
Hi Guys,

Jono from The Music Locker.

I'm currently trying to restore this beauty! It looks like it's been previously painted and then tolex added to it (which we've already had removed). I'm getting down the glue slowly but surely, but really not sure what to do about the paint - whether to leave it or if you lot have any magic tricks for removing this? 

Also, I believe it to be mostly original. It's just had a first look over and the vib/trem section has had to have some components changed. Anyone else got anything to add? I've bought some brown Vox diamond cloth (reissue), along with chickenhead knobs and Vox logo. I know it would have originally had either black chicken head's or black round ones but can't find any round ones anywhere!

The speaker looks like it's dated to 16th November 1962 (thanks to @Bygone_Tones), which would insinuate that its been changed, but what do you guys think? The date code is difficult to see clearly.

Cheers, Jono
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Gaffa tape is good for paint removal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    I'd get rid of the paint (as much as possible), try to get an old vox diamond cloth, rather then a reissue, the brownish old cloth really looks cool and make up the visual of the amp. Additionally I'd probably leave the knobs, as I sort of like them.

That's a really cool amp you got there.
  • jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
    Thanks guys! I've managed to get all the glue off and it looks a different amp now! Now for the paint....! @riscado do you know where we could get any old Vox diamond? We've just bought it off hotroxuk?
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited May 2017
    I would try to ask around here: http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=e80f39aeb38adbe87cdb1ac1eafb4cee

or keep an eye out on ebay... The vintage cloth is quite different with a brownish colour that looks lovely, that's such a great amp you have there it really deserves it. Good luck with the restoration.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Could the speaker not be original? and the amp made in 1962?

Im not great on vox stuff, but I do know that the CT3757 is a pretty rare speaker, and to my knowledge was only used in the AC15. It is considered the pre-cursor to the "vox blue" and the first speaker that Celestion designed as a dedicated guitar amp speaker. The previous B024 / B025 G12 was really designed as a PA speaker in the 1940's, but did get used in some 1950's vox amps before the CT3757 was created.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks so much @riscado - I'll have a look!
    edited May 2017
    Great post @Bygone_Tones - thanks for the info. The TV front AC15 changed shortly after this one. However, we've got a 1960 T530 speaker that we had up for sale. I've just taken it off sale and am going to use it in this amplifier as it would be better suited, and closer dated, to the amplifier. This is it here:
    edited May 2017
    What makes you think the 3757 is not original? Unless you are 100% certain it is not original I would be tempted to leave it in and let buyers decide. Always keep them as original as possible.

That T530 is an interesting speaker too. I guess they made them with the standard paint job like that for a while before painting them blue? Or would it be a westrex made speaker? I wonder if the CT3757 was actually produced at the same time as the T530 then? and not a 'pre-cursor' to the vox blue at all? hmmm. I could do with grabbing Jim Elyeas book, probably clears up a lot of this stuff.

I've never really been one for vox stuff, always been a marshall guy. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I agree with jkirk. The date on the speaker it came with makes it very unlikely to be original - unless Vox made any examples of this amp as late as 1962 - and it would never be possible to prove conclusively that it was original anyway, so a closer-dated speaker would actually raise fewer questions.

I would definitely test both speakers thoroughly before deciding though! It would be annoying to choose one based on the date and then find out it wasn't working right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I would definitely test both speakers thoroughly before deciding though! It would be annoying to choose one based on the date and then find out it wasn't working right.
    I wasn't going to open that can of worms.

Bygone_Tones said:

I wasn't going to open that can of worms.
    Unfortunately that can of worms has a habit of opening itself when you turn the amp up above low volume…!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

What makes you think the 3757 is not original? Unless you are 100% certain it is not original I would be tempted to leave it in and let buyers decide. Always keep them as original as possible.

That T530 is an interesting speaker too. I guess they made them with the standard paint job like that for a while before painting them blue? Or would it be a westrex made speaker? I wonder if the CT3757 was actually produced at the same time as the T530 then? and not a 'pre-cursor' to the vox blue at all? hmmm. I could do with grabbing Jim Elyeas book, probably clears up a lot of this stuff.

I've never really been one for vox stuff, always been a marshall guy. 
    The TV front was replaced in 61 I believe (or maybe even late 60), it definitely didn't go into 1962.

I wonder whether we've opened something up here regarding the crossover of T530 and 3757?!

Thanks for your help @Bygone_Tones and @ICBM - it's coming on pretty nicely! Will keep you all updated!
    jkirk170493 said:

The TV front was replaced in 61 I believe (or maybe even late 60), it definitely didn't go into 1962.
    If it goes as late as that then I would definitely use the '60 dated speaker, if it works OK. It's always better to have a speaker which *could* be original (even if you know it isn't) than one which can't be.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi guys,

We managed to finally finish the AC15. Although I'm not 100% happy with it, but it's turned out better than it came to us. Managed to get all the glue off, but the paint wouldn't shift. Here are some photos. Internally it's really good actually!

I've been as honest as I possibly can with the description too. If you want the link, let me know but I don't want to post it as it is against the forum rules.

Thanks again for all your help! Really appreciate it as always!

edited June 2017
    The mains cable needs to be fixed before you even consider selling it - it's potentially dangerous like that. If the cable gets a really hard tug it will probably rip out of that crappy metal clamp and the chocolate block connector and could short against something.

You need to properly replace the cable back to the soldered connections on the amp, get rid of the chocolate block and the metal clamp, and tie a good strong knot (preferably with a cable tie through it to lock it) in the cable which should be above the shelf, with a small amount of slack between it and the clamp on the chassis.

You need to be much more careful about this sort of thing these days.

I would also knot and retain the footswitch cable in a similar way, although that's just to stop it getting damaged, it's not dangerous.

I'm trying not to be too nit-picky, but your website description is slightly misleading because it implies (I know it doesn't state!) that the speaker is original. It is also not 'really clean and original' inside - quite a lot of components (mostly caps) have been changed.

Why not be completely honest with the description? It doesn't devalue the amp. This is something that really pisses off a lot of people about 'vintage' dealers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    ICBM said:
    The mains cable needs to be fixed before you even consider selling it - it's potentially dangerous like that. If the cable gets a really hard tug it will probably rip out of that crappy metal clamp and the chocolate block connector and could short against something.

You need to properly replace the cable back to the soldered connections on the amp, get rid of the chocolate block and the metal clamp, and tie a good strong knot (preferably with a cable tie through it to lock it) in the cable which should be above the shelf, with a small amount of slack between it and the clamp on the chassis.

You need to be much more careful about this sort of thing these days.

I would also knot and retain the footswitch cable in a similar way, although that's just to stop it getting damaged, it's not dangerous.

I'm trying not to be too nit-picky, but your website description is slightly misleading because it implies (I know it doesn't state!) that the speaker is original. It is also not 'really clean and original' inside - quite a lot of components (mostly caps) have been changed.

Why not be completely honest with the description? It doesn't devalue the amp. This is something that really pisses off a lot of people about 'vintage' dealers.
    Thanks mate. To be honest, our tech told us to add something about that and I updated the eBay listing straight away when I first listed it, but completely forgot to update the website! I've just changed the wording for the speaker and updated it now with the following:

"There are a few service components that have been changed too. The amp has had a number of components changed to get the vib/trem circuit functioning correctly including a new speed selector switch. This is quite common on Vox amps of this period".

I'm trying to be more and more in-depth with our listings, as I'm sure you can tell. 'Every day is a school day', ey?!

Thanks for your help @ICBM - I'll have a think about the cable too. Thanks for having our backs!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JmisoundJmisound Frets: 3
    Two tone AC15s faded out in early - mid 1960. Jennings went back to using Cream with diamonds and continued using that rexine right up to the end of 1960. Start of 61 introduced the thin lip split front cab 15s in fawn.

The period correct speaker for that amp would be a goodmans Audiom 60. 59-60

Ostyer coloured t530s (with the paper vox logo) were more commonly found in the end of 60 AC15s and the early ac30 twins 60-61 before then being replaced by the blue t530 (foil vox logo) 

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    IC, I have done some work on this amp to get the trem / vib working as you can see with the oscillator caps changed. I did look at the mains cable and whilst I don't particularly like the way it has been done, it is safe and well clamped, which you can't really see in the photo. As a Chartered Electrical Engineer, trust me safety is paramount.    
    DJH83004 said:
    IC, I have done some work on this amp to get the trem / vib working as you can see with the oscillator caps changed. I did look at the mains cable and whilst I don't particularly like the way it has been done, it is safe and well clamped, which you can't really see in the photo. As a Chartered Electrical Engineer, trust me safety is paramount.    
    I'm honestly surprised you didn't insist on doing it the right way.

Did you also disable the voltage selector? I forgot to mention that… can't quite see in the pic.

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    It is safe IC, not my work, passes all regulatory standards and I would never do it this way, but how far do you go back with vintage amps correcting all the past misdemeanors.