Are there any cheap mini machine heads?

What's Hot
DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 891
edited May 2017 in Making & Modding
I'm looking for some machine heads for a project with a small headstock (it's actually a 5-string violin).  They need to be 3 a side type (actually 3+2) and small.  I've got mini Grover Rotomatics on a 12-string and they'd be ideal, but I can only find expensive ones (real Grover or Schaller etc).  Does anybody make less expensive equivalents or am I just going to have to pay full whack if I want mini tuners?

Oh, and just to be awkward, they need to be black or gold as well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    I put some 'antique nickel' Wilkinson's on a friends strat copy a while back - under £20 delivered from AxesRus and absolutely fine. AxesRus actually had own brand tuners for less (which looked fine) but were out of stock in the finishes I needed.

You could mix a rh and lh strat set if necessary?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28039
    The Axetec ones are pretty small, very cheap and work nicely.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I have a bunch of five old MIWG Schaller Minis. (2 up, 3 down.) These will only ever be of any use to me if I combine them with a Hipshot D-Tuner. The finish is gold, in a condition that could fairly be described as naturally relic'ed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16660
    You get lots of Chinese sellers on eBay... how cheap do you want to go?
  • Thanks for the replies folks...

I've drawn out the shape and tested with a spare Rotomatic I've got, and they wouldn't fit without making the headstock a fair bit bigger.  Mini Rotos like on my 12-string would fit (but are expensive).  Possibly Kluson-style ones may fit.  Whatever I use, the bodies need to be smaller than normal Rotomatics.

@WezV , that's what I was expecting but I couldn't seem to find any small ones.  I'd be happy with paying £20 or £30 for a set, just don't really want to pay £60+ for Grovers.  Apparently the even cheaper ones are perfectly good, but they all seem to be full-size that I could find.  Perhaps I need to look harder :)

@Sporky , those Axetec ones look like I could just about squeeze them in - good shout. I've done a quick test with a paper template and I reckon they'd JUST fit if I got 90 degree tag ones.

@Funkfingers , interesting... they're even smaller than the Axetec ones, and if by "up" you mean the top side of the headstock as you're holding a right-handed guitar in playing position then it sounds like that's exactly the five I need. I may get back to you about those, thanks.
  • Quick update on this in case anybody's looking at this later...

@Funkfingers sold me his old Schallers for a good price (not a lot more than the Axetecs), so I'm using those.  They're really small and will be an easy fit in the available space.  If I hadn't been offered these then the Axetec ones are still smaller than most and would have worked - if I'd been buying new then that's what I would have gone for (those mini Schallers are a bit pricey new)