Hmm...which guitar to look for? Something retro ideally. Plan aborted

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
edited May 2017 in Guitar
I know how you all like "which guitar should I get" threads, so what better way to satisfy that than to create one.

I've recently started a it of a clear out as I'd amassed a fair it of stuff that I didn't need. So out went my Variax 600, I'm trying to flog my dead horse non-branded lame Airline copy, and a few other things still to go. But as it stands the only guitar I have to play is my own DIY kit built SG which is like playing a small ironing board, and my amazing Wezv built resoglass Airline that means too much to me to play it that often in my tiny room in case of any damage etc.

The SG is meant to cover my clean jazzy type playing, so I am looking for something for my rock type playing. I enjoy playing White Stripes, Strokes, Velvet Underground, and cliche stuff like Black Keys and Led Zep.

Ideally I'd like an Eastwood Airline (either the standard shape or the Map one) reissue but I can't justify the price for my ability. I like their pickups though, especially the bridge, so could look at getting some of those put in whatever I go for at some point.

I'm a bit fussy and picky regarding looks particularly, in terms of quality I'm less so as long as the thing is in tune - bear in mind my last guitar was a Variax so as you can see I'm at the low end.

So, my bullet pointed spec would be as follows:
- Retro looking, though ideally not too old so as to avoid having too many problems to sort out with it.
- I suppose a similar shape really is the Jazzmaster or Jag isn't it for the standard Airline, there's nothing like a Map as far as I'm aware. But if it looks cool I'm happy to consider other shapes
- Colourwise i like bold primary colours mostly, or black or white. No sunbursts or those horrible flame type finisges that look like gradient fill in a 10 year old's Publisher documents
- I think I prefer wider necks (I think C shape?) and I think 12" radius although I think probably like 9.5" would also be fine
- Pickupwise I'd like a good raucous neck pickup, but also ideally a nice neck pickup as well to cover the jazz playing I'm supposed to use the SG for (I only still have the piece of junk because my missus bought me the kit). Don't care if single coil or humbucker if they sound good, if it's a p90 it'd have to not look like one because they are ugly as sin to me.
- no tortoise shell decor on it, if thats there I'd have to budget for a replacement pickguard so would reduce the funds available. Tortoise shell looks like my nan's sunglasses
- Have mostly played 25.5" scale necks but would consider others.
- I don't care that much about brand names, in fact if there's a way to remove any logos or obscure them I'd consider that a plus.
NO DIY ALLOWED - just no, not worth the  expense or disappointment when it turns out sh!t.
- No Telecasters, life's too short. I can get one of the, when I'm 50
- If by any miracle the Gibson G force tuners fit the headstock... as I have some spare
- Budget would be £300,  maybe a bit more if it was spot on spec

Any other particulars required please ask away, interested to see what comes up as suggestions.

I do kind of reserve the right to say I don't like the looks of something though, like the Teiscos or the weird pointy Danelectros (some Danos are ok though)

Here's some photos of the visual style i like:

Thanks guys in anticipation
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Electromatic duojet, with the newer pickups, I'd definitely have another.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    wayneirie said:
    Electromatic duojet, with the newer pickups, I'd definitely have another.
    Thanks I shall have a gander, is that the same as a Double Jet though as the Duo Jet seems to be coming up in the thousands? Must admit I've never looked much at Gretsch guitars as I'd assumed they'd sound too classy
    edited May 2017
    The electromatics are 250-300ish second hand, bigsby as well. It's solid like a les Paul. I assume if your into white stripes etc you're using some fuzz as well nice cleans but good clarity when distorted. Those Gretsch  streamliners look cool as well but I haven't tried one.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Just play the airline you have and dont over think or be too precious about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I know what you mean but that's not an option, it has a sentimental value to it (and no neck pickup)
    edited May 2017
    wayneirie said:
    The electromatics are 250-300ish second hand, bigsby as well. It's solid like a les Paul. I assume if your into white stripes etc you're using some fuzz as well nice cleans but good clarity when distorted. Those Gretsch  streamliners look cool as well but I haven't tried one.
    They don't sound like an LP though do they? I don't really use much fuzz no, it's the rhythm sound I use which is boosty overdrive. Will check out Gretsch in general though thanks.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Have you looked at Italias?

Slightly outside your budget but a used one shouldn't be.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody said:
    Have you looked at Italias?

Slightly outside your budget but a used one shouldn't be.
    I almost won a Mondial on ebay the other day but it went above my threshold, don't know much about them otherwise and they don't show up much locally, but I shall have a look yeah
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    I was thinking the Mondial - cheapest new is about £550.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I know what you mean but that's not an option, it has a sentimental value to it (and no neck pickup)
    Give it a good hammering.  They look good a bit worn, and most issues could be fixed if they occur.

i was going to suggest adding a tone pre-set switch to make up for the lack of a neck pickup, but then I remembered that means taking the back off and redoing the binding :( you should still be able to a lot with the volume and tone you have

Yeah I know that would have been ideal but the one on eBay went for more than I could justify, the saved search I have on there had only brought up that one in over six months
    WezV said:
    Give it a good hammering.  They look good a bit worn, and most issues could be fixed if they occur.

i was going to suggest adding a tone pre-set switch to make up for the lack of a neck pickup, but then I remembered that means taking the back off and redoing the binding :( you should still be able to a lot with the volume and tone you have

Hi dude. No I really don't want to wear it out at all, it's too valuable to me. It's great and sounds lovely and yes, you can do a lot with it but I really don't want any damage to come to it at all
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    wayneirie said:
    Not solid, they are a hollowed out solid with a maple cap. And score Jack White points as he actually uses Gretsches. Good guitars by all accounts. 

Alterativly go proper retro -

http://www.mudpiemusicbrighton.com/Images/electrics/1970S-KAY-TEISCO-195.jpg  

thats £195

or

https://www.badlandsguitars.co.uk/used-guitars/

For £300

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12879
    Sounds like you should just buy another airline to be honest. 

I'm on a similar quest myself only I'm more into Sonic Youth than Led Zep. Quite fancy a Dano of some type... 
    No they don't sound like a les Paul, more like a thicker tele, obviously describing sounds is a hit and miss so try one. I've found for the black keys and white stripes it's mainly fuzz and boost pedals and amps key. I'm lucky enough to have a little silver-tone. That I can crank up. But any guitar should get you there.
    wayneirie said:
    No they don't sound like a les Paul, more like a thicker tele, obviously describing sounds is a hit and miss so try one. I've found for the black keys and white stripes it's mainly fuzz and boost pedals and amps key. I'm lucky enough to have a little silver-tone. That I can crank up. But any guitar should get you there.
    Interesting, thanks. Re the fuzz though, I never play with it because I don't have one, for White Stripes it's only the solo sound you need it for. Maybe for Black Keys more so yeah but I only play that when I feel the need for cheesy blues when nobody is listening so that's not an essential really
    Sounds like you should just buy another airline to be honest. 

I'm on a similar quest myself only I'm more into Sonic Youth than Led Zep. Quite fancy a Dano of some type... 
    They are £500 plus though, just not worth that unfortunately
    edited May 2017
    wayneirie said:
    Not solid, they are a hollowed out solid with a maple cap. And score Jack White points as he actually uses Gretsches. Good guitars by all accounts. 

Alterativly go proper retro -

http://www.mudpiemusicbrighton.com/Images/electrics/1970S-KAY-TEISCO-195.jpg  

thats £195

or

https://www.badlandsguitars.co.uk/used-guitars/

For £300

Which one did you mean for £300? That Teisco though, like every Teisco ever, appears to be as ugly as sin Haha

I thought he only used a Grestch for the Raconteurs didn't he? More of a Brendan Benson project that so it doesn't count Haha
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    You take that teisco comment back ... go google Teisco Spectrum 5.

Although you won't find one in budget I'm afraid
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    You take that teisco comment back ... go google Teisco Spectrum 5.

Although you won't find one in budget I'm afraid
    I have, and I stand by my comment :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom