Guitar build no 2 is depressing

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Honestly, how many things can go pear shaped on one build. I have done some fretboard inlays that I am proud of, but every other aspect so far has been a disaster. I don't even want to list all the cock-ups, it would be depressing to see them all in one go. I'm putting it down to one of two things

i) My superb first guitar was pure luck, or
ii) I've just been a little bit lax with everything this time around, not thinking stuff through enough before diving in. 

It's been a real downer. I've barely touched any of it for at least 3 weeks. I'd been so fired up to make a great guitar but I'm just very deflated now. Oh well, c'est la vie. I might be able to salvage the neck .... and the top ... and the fretboard .....

Anyone else had a bad one???
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Welcome to guitar building.
    This is what it is really like- making thing you end up hating and make you feel like an amateur.

In all seriousness, treat it like a learning process.
    My 3rd build was a total disaster- I put it through the bandsaw.
    My tutor at uni said guitar building is all about who can hide their mistakes the best.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    i think i got cocky on the 3rd when i carved right through to the truss rod.  but yeah, when i moved house a couple of years back I chopped up and burned at least 8 failed projects
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Looks like we've all done it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited May 2017 tFB Trader

Yeah I mucked my first build up...  and then something like my 6th build which was my first one with a posh flamed maple top..  I think like you I just got a bit cocky..... and like you it upset me and I didn't want to talk about it..  I just cut it up and moved on (eventually )

This is what happened on the first one.. set the neck very wrongly.... and knowing what I know now I probably could have fixed it but I got some nice mahogany at the same time and just moved on to that. (this was just pine from an old door  so no real loss :) )

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/build 1/DSC04126_zpsa14be735.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/build 1/DSC04128_zps3f922b56.jpg

You will make mistakes..  It happens... We arnt CnC machines we are human and wood can be a right pain sometimes.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    Rabs said:

We arnt CnC machines we are human and wood can be a right pain sometimes.

I can assure you that if we were things wouldn't necessarily go better.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/builds/spb1/spb1 neck disaster.jpg

Bits of that neck went past my head at a considerably speed.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    Rabs said:

We arnt CnC machines we are human and wood can be a right pain sometimes.

I can assure you that if we were things wouldn't necessarily go better.

Bits of that neck went past my head at a considerably speed.

Yikes....  And yes, that's the wood can be a pain bit of my statement....   :) 

Sometimes it just likes to do its own thing and theres nothing you can do about it. But then strangely that's one of the things I like about it..  That wood is organic and every piece is slightly different....  Learning to read wood and the grain direction and stuff like that helps, but even then sometimes it gets you anyway :)

• My first one went okay, second went not amazing, third went perfectly and fourth... 

The fourth. Bugger it. 

I had a beautiful finish on it, but dad knocked it off the hanger and it cracked the top, damaged the binding and ruined the finish. Sanded back and did it again. 

And dad knocked it off again. 

So I changed colour scheme, had to scrape back *more* of the binding (which still looks a bit damaged), repaired another small crack in the top... But it finally got done. I wound up rushing the finish a bit but it's not absolutely horrible.