NPD- Budda Wah the old one

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
My Crybaby broke mid gig recently. I tried having no wah on my board and that lasted a week. 

Ive read lots of good things about these first generation Budda Wah's so I thought I'd try one out. 

I will get proper chance to have a go later today. Any other users on here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    I've read similar about the original Budda Wahs' and nearly bought one myself but ended up with an Xotic Wah instead. So i'll be watching this thread with great interest :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    yup, I've got two. Best wah on the market (and I have a few)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    Oh yes, it's a good one!

happy to report that it does exactly what I hoped it would. It seems to have a massive sweep without being shrill or overly dark. It feels more like my old Vox than a modern Crybaby in that it's more musical and expressive. 

Ive tried it into both the low (clean) and high (driven) inputs of my JCM and it works a treat with both. Add a fuzzface and tone wise I think you can guess who it can get you near. 

Yep, like this one!
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited May 2017
    I have an early Bud Wah, bought soon after they first came out. I've owned this longer than any other pedal, and see no reason to change it.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    How many songs per gig do you use a wah for?
    siraxeman said:
    How many songs per gig do you use a wah for?
    About twice in a set. 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1446
    I've had one since they first emerged, and I've still yet to hear a better wah. Mine could do with a new pot though - anyone any idea where I can get one?
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 883
    edited May 2017
    Interesting question about how often people use a wah live. I use it loads but sometimes just a frequency thing. Which i's why I've been looking at the magnetic effects double pedal. With a fuzz and a wah filter in it

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

@Cookiemonster my use is sparse and only for effect 

like the verse here 
    https://open.spotify.com/track/3bThlLuiwn16wUqesLJ5CD

Or the solo bit here
    https://open.spotify.com/track/7BusHEiGBG6Da00UCIJrbu

I try  to use it sparingly as Wah has been done to death and much better than I can use it.

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited May 2017
    I have the black label one - it doesn't have a huge sweep (relative to a bunch of other wahs i've tried anyway) but unlike my old dunlop it preserves most of the low end on toe-down. 
    I think I maybe use the wah to much ha ha. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Nice tracks dude.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think I maybe use the wah to much ha ha. 
    No such thing!Cookiemonster said:
    Nice tracks dude.
    Thanks mate
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 141
    Hi @shaunm ; - How did you get on with your Wah search? I used to own Crybaby 535Q but found it quite noisy in use and noticed it affected my tone even when not in use (plus used to hate it not having an LED). I later replaced it with a Morley Steve Vai Bad Horsie 2 which solved the LED issue (it turns itself off once you take your foot off it) and it sounds killer on rock solos/tracks, but can be a little over the top for some things. It's also heavy and wider than other wahs, so takes up more real-estate on your board (and is an optical Wah, so tonally a little different).

I picked up an original black label Budda from Gumtree last year and can't fault it for tone - absolutely love it on funk and reggae, the frequency range and overall tone is perfect for that stuff - never too harsh and very responsive. I've since switched it to my other board and added an Xotic Wah in its place. The Xotic is a great size (I really appreciate the space it saves on my board) and the eq control is very cool, but overall I find it can be a little harsh in the higher frequencies. It's not something Ive been able to reduce with the treble control (the problem is more about presence than treble), so the Budda I feel has the sweeter sound to my ears. Having said that it's still on my main board so it's not a huge problem, but I still prefer the Budda for recording etc.