NSSSD

New Super Solid Snare day.

I'm done for a while in terms of buying snares- I have all that I need especially now I have this one.
DW 14"x5.5" Super Solid maple snare in satin natural finish.

What is especially awesome about it is it is a one piece shell and I mean one piece- the reinforcement rings are CNC'd as part of the single ply shell.
It sounds incredible- this is definitely a 'holy grail' snare.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    I'm picturing a drumkit with no toms, just differently tuned snares.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28160
    You're picturing it, Octy's playing it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited May 2017
    LOL.

Snares are basically drummer's overdrive pedals when it comes to gear acquisition.
    Really all drummers only need 2 snares- a nice wood one and a nice metal one.
    Anything outside that is a want, not a need.

The Ludwig LM400 I bought as my first snare is perfectly great in all situations but..... I want different flavours.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    octatonic said:

The Ludwig LM400 I bought as my first snare is perfectly great in all situations but..... I want different flavours.
    THAT is a holy grail snare. Everything else is GAS. 

(Although I know a guy who owns in excess of 100 snares) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    octatonic said:

THAT is a holy grail snare. Everything else is GAS. 

(Although I know a guy who owns in excess of 100 snares) 
    The LM400 is too ubiquitous to be a Holy Grail snare, I think.
    You can get a vintage example for £350 and a used current version for £200.
    The Super Solid is much rarer- I've only ever seen one other one in the UK for sale and that was £1500.

100 snares is quite a lot.

I had a '76
    It was amazing.

Friend of mine has just opened a new studio (700sqft live room - sounds amazing) and I was in there the other day when he was testing some snares out in the room - a piccolo snare with a damper ring thing on it sounded HUGE - like a perfect rock drum - bizarre - the damper thing dropped the tone and took *some* of the ring out. Amazing. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I had a '76
    It was amazing.

Friend of mine has just opened a new studio (700sqft live room - sounds amazing) and I was in there the other day when he was testing some snares out in the room - a piccolo snare with a damper ring thing on it sounded HUGE - like a perfect rock drum - bizarre - the damper thing dropped the tone and took *some* of the ring out. Amazing. 
    This is why I like having a few different options- the big snares aren't always the best sounding in a particular room.

I'm pretty well sorted now- I have a couple of Ludwigs (LM400 and a 402), a Van Kleef Titanium, 3 x ply DW Collectors in various sizes (4", 5."5 and 6" depth), the DW Edge, DW Black Nickel over Brass and the new DW Super Solid.
    The only obvious gaps are a Bell Brass and maybe something like a Copper or Bronze snare but I am not looking for anything else right now.

I've tried dampener rings- I mostly prefer the drums without them.
    I use a couple of small pieces of moon gel if I need anything but I use quite heavy batter skins- usually Remo CS coated.
    yeah this wasn't because the drum needed damping - and it was a whole-drum size rather than just a ring - I'll see if I can find out exactly what it was.

It helped that the whole live room was designed to sound awesome with drums - no verb at the desk, all done with mic positioning
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    yeah this wasn't because the drum needed damping - and it was a whole-drum size rather than just a ring - I'll see if I can find out exactly what it was.

It helped that the whole live room was designed to sound awesome with drums - no verb at the desk, all done with mic positioning
    It would be this then, or something constructed in the same way: https://bigfatsnaredrum.com
    They give a very big 70's style snare.

Mic positioning- it is the best way to do it imho- but you need the right acoustic environment.
    yep that was the thing - put one on a piccolo!
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    yep that was the thing - put one on a piccolo!
    Yup, I have one.