Paul Weller

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
I used to love The Jam, went with The Style Council for the first year, re-joined for a few of his solo albums but let's face it; the bulk of Paul Weller's solo stuff is pretty shit. The latest album doesn't sound like it's going to be any better:

Snoozefest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    You gonna stick your Weller albums in the burning pile with your U2 ones then?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Agreed. The Jam were a very special band for me, still massively respect the bulk of their material, lots of it sounding as fresh now as it did then. 
    Alas EVERYTHING he has done since has been disappointing and well below the standard The Jam set. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    BigMonka said:
    You gonna stick your Weller albums in the burning pile with your U2 ones then?
    Can you set fire to an MP3?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    edited May 2017
    I was going to see the Style Council in 1985 at Middlesbrough Town Hall but it was cancelled. I was gutted until they gave us tickets for another gig to compensate. It was The Smiths supported by James
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    You can certainly burn them to a CD...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    cruxiform said:
    I was going to see the Style Council in 1985 at Middlesbrough Town Hall but it was cancelled. I was gutted until they gave us tickets for another gig to compensate. It was The Smiths supported by James
    You got the better deal. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    cruxiform said:
    You got the better deal. 
    Indeed!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited May 2017
    Nice Hofner Bass in R2 clip and who saw Nick Mason trying to work out the beat pattern on the desk??

And - "Paul, whilst you're sitting there - could you just photocopy these for us?"
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Alas EVERYTHING he has done since has been disappointing and well below the standard The Jam set. 

Yeah, this ^^ for me too

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Obviously know one here has grown with the artist LOL
    knocking out tunes like Down in the Subway and Eton rifles would seem pretty lame from the country mansion

Ha ha
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I couldn't stand The Jam or The Style Council but I thought those 2 song were alright.

I missed that episode of Later.

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    He used to be upfront, edgy and dynamic. Now he's become conventional, middle-aged and safe. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The band energy in the Jam was quite the thing in it's day. Never really got the style council, and whatever he did afterwards was 'the Star Mr Weller' and the hired help, whereas the Jam was definatly a collective even if PW was the chief writer/singer. Stanley Road did have/still has some memorable tracks on it, can't say I've noticed much else. But having said that many aged rock stars have never reproduced the peak performance later in life so no great shame and none of us have anything musical to campare it to.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    Obviously know one here has grown with the artist LOL
    knocking out tunes like Down in the Subway and Eton rifles would seem pretty lame from the country mansion

Ha ha
    Down In The Subway At Nighttime, Going Under The Ground and Well, It IS Entertainment After All are some of my favourite Jam tunes

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    ESBlonde said:
    The band energy in the Jam was quite the thing in it's day. Never really got the style council, and whatever he did afterwards was 'the Star Mr Weller' and the hired help, whereas the Jam was definatly a collective even if PW was the chief writer/singer. Stanley Road did have/still has some memorable tracks on it, can't say I've noticed much else. But having said that many aged rock stars have never reproduced the peak performance later in life so no great shame and none of us have anything musical to campare it to.
    Yeah, apart from Stanley Rd. I prefer Wildwood.

I think Weller is alright. He's a good musican, a good guitarist and a good singer, and he's written some iconic songs.

And he's quite a cool dude.

Do I listen to his music? Not much, but I'd rather listen to or watch him and his band than most other new mainstream acts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Snap said:

Do I listen to his music? Not much, but I'd rather listen to or watch him and his band than most other new mainstream acts.
    I'd have to agree with you there.
    His angry young man personna looked a bit out of place on a middle aged bloke with grey hair, but he seems to have successfully overcome that era now. as I said above, I have done nothing musical to hold a candle to the man and have due respect.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    edited May 2017
    Quality Control at Weller HQ could give Gibson a run for its money.

I don't think the media helps - I see a lot of 4 star reviews etc for what is in my mind dross. He has a lot of 'fans' in the band as well. Who are probably just pleased to be getting the gig.

If the media and the musicians he works with stopped sucking him off, rimming him and tickling his balls at the same time - he might be forced to try harder.

That's my opinion as a big fan of his. I wish someone close or the media would tell him his output for the last 10 years has been largely middle of the road shite. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Iamnobody said:
    I wish someone close or the media would tell him his output for the last 10 years has been largely middle of the road shite. 
    thing is Steve, most people love that. Sells in shedloads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited May 2017
    Snap said: by
    Iamnobody said:
    I wish someone close or the media would tell him his output for the last 10 years has been largely middle of the road shite. 
    thing is Steve, most people love that. Sells in shedloads.
    Very true.

How else is it we end up with the horror that is Jack Savoretti?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    He still has a dodgy barnet for a man of his advanced years, at least he isn't like Johnny Marr and dyeing it ! ;)

In case you missed it @proggy Later's on again of Friday ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback