Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    I thought ' you do something to me 'was a fantastic song
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Jalapeno said:
    He still has a dodgy barnet for a man of his advanced years, at least he isn't like Johnny Marr and dyeing it ! ;)

In case you missed it @proggy Later's on again of Friday ;)
    Thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    edited May 2017
    When my local supermarket stopped selling CD's they got rid of their remaining stocks with a "£3 each, or 5 for £10" deal. I only found four that I actually wanted, but took a punt on Weller's "Wake Up The Nation" just to save a couple of quid on the four I'd already chosen.

It turned out to be a cracking album!

For the record, I'm not a Weller fanboy. I loved the Jam (I was 13 in 1979 - that counts for a lot), I liked The Style Council, but I've found his solo output to be significantly more miss than hit. "Wake Up The Nation" is a belter though...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Tell you what though: Weller looks pretty buggered for his age. His is well raddled. Must be the fags. He's 59 and he looks a lot older. Obviously not a believer in a daily moisturising routine.

I loves a bit of Olay in't mornin oh aye.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I lost interest after his "As Is Now" album but I still enjoy his music up to roughly that point.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Gwatkins15Gwatkins15 Frets: 39
    Doesn't sound like he's popular here.. Some harsh comments.

I'm a massive fan. I think he gets the 'past it' tag too easily. His new albums, especially Saturns Pattern are some of his best work, experimental without getting pretentious and losing his influences. He gets stick from fans of the Jam, I've been to gigs where people have walked out because he's played his new album for the first half, dismissing it without giving it the time of day. Delve a bit deeper and you can find some gems... Apparently his music knowledge and theory knowledge is mindblowing, much more than this 'modfather' crap.

I hope he keeps going. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    edited May 2017
    Doesn't sound like he's popular here.. Some harsh comments.

I'm a massive fan. I think he gets the 'past it' tag too easily. His new albums, especially Saturns Pattern are some of his best work, experimental without getting pretentious and losing his influences. He gets stick from fans of the Jam, I've been to gigs where people have walked out because he's played his new album for the first half, dismissing it without giving it the time of day. Delve a bit deeper and you can find some gems... Apparently his music knowledge and theory knowledge is mindblowing, much more than this 'modfather' crap.

I hope he keeps going. 
    There's a lot of respect for him here. Search for underrated guitarist type threads and he usually gets a mention.

I can't agree that his later stuff is some of his best work. I love the Jam although they were slightly before my time, I dismissed TSC - until my barber gave me a best of cd and I recognised loads of the tracks from radio play as a kid and was singing along. I liked TSC - I just didn't know it!

I got into Weller around the time of the Stanley Road album. Quickly buying Wild Wood & Paul Weller to catch up - and then every studio album he's released since. I'm a fan but I haven't got blind loyalty. 

Reviews like this don't help - “Could well be Paul Weller’s  greatest album to date.” – Record Collector, 5/5

Is it fuck his greatest album...

Let's look at the chorus of one of the lead singles off the new album. It's just worn out, twee, clichéd nonsense - and the accompanying music is pedestrian and boring. 

And I know it's a long long road
    That we walk together but as one
    There's no longer two
    Oh, me and you
    When the road gets rough
    We gotta pull together
    Ooh-oohh
    Ooh-oohh
    Ooh-oohh

Compare that to almost anything off the first 4 solo albums and it falls well short. Compare it to Heliocentric even - an album that I know some people think is the start of his decline. But Helicentric has some great tunes on it:

Come taste the wine
    Come lose yourself
    Taste this time
    But keep it well -
    Only love it all
    With heart and head
    For there is no drinking,
    After your dead.

Dive and swim
    In the amber ocean
    See all that you can
    In this new emotion -
    And embrace it now
    Before it's skin sheds
    After your dead.

Stand back to back
    With yourself again
    As your spin and reel
    Like a new found friend,-

And have it all
    With heart and hands-
    For there is no love making,
    After your dead.

And today is but a second
    If tomorrow you may die
    And empty pages glistening
    In eternity's lie
    And time is buy an essensce
    Encased upon the wall
    That brings our day of reckoning-
    Much closer to us all.

Light the candle
    And burn it well
    For only time knows
    What it cannot yet tell,
    Only love it all
    With heart and head
    After your dead.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Let's hope he keeps at it - Later simply couldn't continue, without him as guest....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    With both The Jam and solo he done songs I absolutely and then real dross. I thought it odd that he was dismissive of Duran Duran when Style Council were so bland.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    I definitely think he needs someone to tell him when his songs are bland, boring and lack a decent tune and melody. I'm sure he wouldn't like it but a QA filter is needed for all prolific artists. Same can be said for Elvis Costello, Neil Young and Prince. There are treasures in the mass volume put out but a lot of dross too.

The problem with Weller, for me, is that the treasures are getting fewer and fewer. I also don't like his guitar sounds and production on the albums either.