masking material?3m blue tape?

What's Hot
What's the best tape for masking rosewood fingerboard and such when using water based stain? Is the blue 3M tape the best option? Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    The fineline code 471 is the plastic edging tape good for edges. It doesn't necessarily stop bleeding under it via the wood but it's waterproof and wiping along the edge helps, also doing it in stages not flooding it all at once, kind of thing.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I quite like the 3M Scotch Blue Painters Tape with 'Edge Lock' (2093EL) that you can, at last, get in Homebase.  I find it sticks well and, more importantly, it doesn't leave glue residue.

But beware the myriad cheap (in terms of quality, not price!) copies of blue tape - and especially the Dial tape sold in B&Q.  It is scandalously bad!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 284
    I quite like the 3M Scotch Blue Painters Tape with 'Edge Lock' (2093EL) that you can, at last, get in Homebase.  I find it sticks well and, more importantly, it doesn't leave glue residue.

But beware the myriad cheap (in terms of quality, not price!) copies of blue tape - and especially the Dial tape sold in B&Q.  It is scandalously bad!  

I agree with @Andyjr1515 to get a professional decorators masking tape. If you can't get the 3M tape, I'd suggest a similar equivalent. I got a yellow masking tape from Brewers. The good ones are low tack (so shouldn't leave glue deposits when removed), adhere well, and have a straight edge. It's worth paying for a quality tape in my experience.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Cool! Thanks chaps. Lots of helpful advice there. I'll check me local home base for 3m tape. Thanks:)
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732

Got some today in Homebase as you said!  Cheers fella appreciate the help:)