Best method for sanding?

What's Hot
So im looking to prep a body (removing a wudtone finish and then home spraying). Would doing it by hand (a block and sandpaper) or woild buying a hand sander be better?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Id go with a combination of both, get the woodtone off with something mechanical work through the grits and finish by hand in the curves and along the grain....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Usually you use both.
    There will be places where an electric sander won't be able to reach so you use different sized blocks, or even just folded up a piece of paper.
    I often use a piece of 6mm dowel that I use some adhesive sandpaper (called 'Stick-it) to as well.

Be extremely careful on curves- it is very easy to fuck up the profile of the roundover and once it goes you will really struggle to get it back.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Sanding off paint/varnish can take an eternity, be warned. The old finish gums up sandpaper really quickly - you can really get through sheets of the stuff ......

Heat / chemical might be quicker and more effective if you want to take it back to the wood.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Andy wudtone suggested a flap wheel to do the curves etc
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I wouldnt use a flap wheel, much too aggressive and too high speed in my opinion
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    paulnb57 said:
    I wouldnt use a flap wheel, much too aggressive and too high speed in my opinion
    Yup, I agree.

Perhaps make some radiused sanding blocks that you could glue some adhesive sandpaper to.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Hmm its only a basic layer but i may have a go later. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    I used a flap wheel on my very first squier strat.  First modding project.   It probably still has a flapwheel shaped contour inside the cutaway.

i tend to avoid the corners altogether.... right to the last point once I have reached about 180g everywhere else.   Past that you are onto finish sanding rather than stripping 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    Wudtone finish  is really thin, I've had to remove it a few times from guitars, couple of passes with  120  sandpaper and it's gone .  After that go through the grades of sandpaper job done.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSES said:
    Wudtone finish  is really thin, I've had to remove it a few times from guitars, couple of passes with  120  sandpaper and it's gone .  After that go through the grades of sandpaper job done.

This tallies with my experience. I stripped my jazzmaster and used a circular sander with 120 grit, made very short work of it, then used some foam (thin foam) backed sandpaper for the curves (that, incidentally, you gave to me - don't suppose you remember what it's called?). 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom