Speakers, Ohms and Wattage? I'm clueless....

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
My first ever Amp head is in the mail, Ive only ever had combos......Im utter at a loss as to what power rating and ohmage i need in a speaker cab....
Its a Jet City 20 watter head into 16 ohms.......

I get for one speaker it would need to be 16 ohms, dont know the power rating though, or even if thats the right term?
But I'm thinking of making my own 2x10 or 4x10 cab
So if the power is shared between two or four speakers Im lost, utterly totally and completely...

Is there some simple to understand reading somewhere so I can gen up....any advice welcomed!

Cheers!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited May 2017
    If the amp has only a 16-ohm output then you need a 16-ohm cabinet. (ie 16-ohm speaker, if it's a single-speaker cab.) The power rating can be anything above 20W, although 30W or more gives a better safety margin. There's no upper limit, although often a very high-powered speaker will sound a bit stiff and sometimes dull when driven at less than 20W. (Very much less - bear in mind that even for a 20W amp, turning it down to 'home volume' will give a power output of less than 1W usually.)

I'm pretty sure the Jet City 20W amps have both 16 and 8-ohm outputs though, in which case you can also use an 8-ohm cabinet.

If you're using a cab with two speakers, you need to combine the impedances in series (the cab will be double the impedance of each speaker) or parallel (cab half the impedance of each) or in a four-speaker cab, usually series-parallel (cab impedance the same as each individual speaker).

For multi-speaker cabs, the power is shared equally between the speakers if their impedances are the same regardless of the wiring scheme, so the cab power rating is the number of speakers multiplied by the lowest-rated speaker, not the sum of the ratings.

You *can* mix different impedances, but the maths becomes more complicated so usually better avoided unless you have a special reason to!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Ohms law is your friend here. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28139
    Ohms law is a friend to no-one.

A passing acquaintance at best, and you're glad once you've passed.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited May 2017
    Amp output
    1x16 ohm
    or 
    2x 8 ohm

So could I plug in one 8ohm cab? Or must it be two....clueless!!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    paulnb57 said:
    Amp output
    1x16 ohm
    or 
    2x 8 ohm

So could I plug in one 8ohm cab? Or must it be two....clueless!!
    You can plug in one 16-ohm cab (the 16 ohm jack), one 8-ohm cab (either 8-ohm jack) or two 16-ohm cabs (both 8-ohm jacks - because two 16-ohm cabs gives an 8-ohm load in parallel) - if that makes sense!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    @paulnb57  if you search online for the user manual for the Mesa Express amps,  there's a really useful few pages at the back showing what is safe and what isn't along with a load of diagrams which may well help you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks folks, desperately clueless!

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Paul, to keep things nice and simple, why not make yourself a 2x10 cab using two 25watt 8 ohm speakers in series, which would give you a single 16 ohm load. In future you could always make yourself an exact duplicate and as IC says plug them both into the 2x8 ohm sockets (2 x 16 ohm in parallel will give you 8 ohms)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    This was posted on a previous, similar thread...hope it helps
    http://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/ohm-cooking-101-understanding-amps-speakers-and-impedance/

• sm55onlsm55onl Frets: 28
    edited May 2017
    Also, this (pages numbered 19 to 24.....or pdf doc page numbers 23-28).....as noted by Beexter, above.
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/ExpressSers.pdf

Thanks folks all appreciated...

edited May 2017
    Just be clear in series is.......
    Oo bloody fuck! Found it in the Mesa literature, Look! Over here! Old bloke, learning shit!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited May 2017
    Thanks @olafgarten ;

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited May 2017
    On a side note, if you've never had an amp head before, NEVER to turn the amp on without a speaker plugged in (more specifically never take it off standby, but safer just not to turn it on).

Otherwise there may be smoke.
    Thanks @Maynehead I knew that, but its worth repeating!

Smoke is bad!