Dorje' gear nicked in Berlin

What's Hot

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Well, that sucks that they had their gear stolen. 

I'm pretty surprised that they weren't insured with the amount of organization that goes in to arranging these gigs and tours.  I suspect the passports will be worth a lot more than their gear. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I suspect the insurance would be more expensive than that if it covered professional use.

Most people on here don't realise that when they are driving home from a gig they aren't insured on their cars unless they have business cover.
    That's not strictly true. Driving to and from work is covered. Driving whilst at work is not.
    when I worked for Kent Music School, I was told that driving between schools was not a paid part of my job, therefore I did not need business insurance.

Always best to check though
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited May 2017
    I suspect the insurance would be more expensive than that if it covered professional use.

Most people on here don't realise that when they are driving home from a gig they aren't insured on their cars unless they have business cover.

Yep and look at the cost of car insurance.  A quick google suggests the average comprehensive (not business) cover cost is £462 per year, there's no way I'd expect that a full touring act with multiple members, instruments & possessions totaling similar to a car or more etc can be insured for less than that internationally.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    m_c said:

It's all very well criticising others for lack of insurance, but what does it actually cost?

https://www.allianzmusicalinsurance.co.uk/our-policy/bands.asp

They cover everything (electronic gear like laptops included), and insuring £15k of gear is about £15-20 a month. For professional musicians - which is everybody in Dorje - that's a total no-brainer.
    Did you call them? And did that include the optional extras of personal & public liability, worldwide cover, and theft from unattended vehicle?

It looks like you need to call them to get a quote for a band. 

"Please call us on 0330 100 9903 if you are representing a group, band or orchestra, your instrument is valued at more than £10,000, or the total value of your instrument or equipment is greater than £25,000."

I still agree they should have been insured regardless, but I'd be surprised if £20/month covered everything necessary for an internationally touring act 
    My gear is all insured with them for £15k - that's how I know. Everything's covered worldwide (and in unattended vehicles) by default, including touring.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader

That's not strictly true. Driving to and from work is covered. Driving whilst at work is not.
    when I worked for Kent Music School, I was told that driving between schools was not a paid part of my job, therefore I did not need business insurance.

People have been done for driving without insurance in that situation so I don't think you are covered.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    They left laptops, cameras, wallets and passports in a van outside a venue, and they're surprised that they got nicked?

I can have some sympathy for musicians who lose heavy or awkward gear from a van when they didn't carry it all into the venue or the hotel overnight… but leaving your personal valuables in a vehicle is just basic stupidity. The thief must have thought it was Christmas.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dicks.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4525
    they've raised £1,813 so far! 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

People have been done for driving without insurance in that situation so I don't think you are covered.

I think it depends heavily on whether the money you get from gigs is regarded as "income" by HMRC, or a hobby. In my case, playing in an originals band, HMRC have confirmed that there's no way in hell they want anything to do with it, 'cos I spend a few grand a year on gear and probably make about £50.
    <space for hire>
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited May 2017
    Given their high visibility on social media, regular postings and unfortunate, poor experience and short shortsightedness here, I hope they post something up on the this very subject as a warning to others.

As they reach so many people, it could possibly be their most helpful and useful post to date.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I have never been one to bash chapman in the past but this is just taking the piss. 
    Your a buisness, your belongings got nicked, yet you want the public to fund your losses.

crazy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Giving thing doesn't look like Chapper's doing. 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    DesVegas said:
    they've raised £1,813 so far! 
    Good for them. It's great to see The Monkey Lord using his reputation to help out the guys on his crew who have been struck by this misfortune.  It reminds me of the positive attitude we have on here when helping one of ours who've fallen on hard times. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    grungebob said:
    I have never been one to bash chapman in the past but this is just taking the piss. 
    Your a buisness, your belongings got nicked, yet you want the public to fund your losses.

crazy!
    Yup, I'm 100% with you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Giving thing doesn't look like Chapper's doing. 
    It was started by Dan Davies - his manager and web guy.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

My insurance provider told me I was covered. I had it in writing. 
    Hence you need to check.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Whole band hand passports to tour manager, as he's obviously the one paid to be organised and sensible.

"You left it all *where* ? "

sounds like they need a new tour manager. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    TimmyO said:
    Whole band hand passports to tour manager, as he's obviously the one paid to be organised and sensible.

"You left it all *where* ? "

sounds like they need a new tour manager. 
    I have a suspicion that he was busy putting annoying sound effects on Andertons videos. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    https://www.gofundme.com/dorje-stolen-bags

for those that can't find it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Fortunately you can travel the length and breadth of the EU without a passport with the exception of......oh. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom