Stuck in a rut, I know where I want to be but not how to get there!

Hey folks, First time posting on here so hopefully no faux pas.

I've been playing over 10 years with no lessons apart from video tutorials and I really enjoy playing daily.

I'm dyslexic which causes me memory issues so i really struggle to remember songs I've learnt or notes in a tab if its a lead part for example.

I want to be able to play more gary moore style stuff or just know how to play some useful fast licks when jamming.

I don't know any theory so i'm struggling with figuring out what to play or how to build speed or knowledge.

So if any of you have been in the same boat, how do you progress to become a better guitarist or build those tasty licks from nothing?

Cheers

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
     I wonder if transcribing/ learning by ear works better for you? Lot more effort in the short term than video lessons but people tend to remember what they've worked out much better than things they have had off video or tab. 
    You don't necessarily have to be 100% accurate as long as the result is something you can use. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • drmcgratdrmcgrat Frets: 0
    Thanks Eric, some good tips there, in the past i did learn some things like that and the learning process opened up some new ideas.

The other thing I've started doing that has helped miles is watching Steve Stine, he has put jamming into a new perspective for me of finding notes to play.

The last thing is trying to figure out how to jam and add some fast licks to my playing without going for the same thing over and over but i guess learning from different artists by ear will open that up too.

Thanks mate
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    1 learn scales, the blues scale has 5 notes.
    2 if you have memory issues learn the start and finish of the solo. Widdle around on the right scale in the middle.

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 289
    I agree that learning by ear should help, and in doing so you may remember better what you have played. I don't think dyslexia should be an issue; it just may take longer if working from tab (or potentially sheet music). I'd also suggest trying to learn songs from other artists, such as those that influenced Gary Moore (eg Peter Green) and different genres. You may also benefit from some guitar lessons and playing with others.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    CarpeDiem said:
    I agree that learning by ear should help, and in doing so you may remember better what you have played. 
    Just to echo @CarpeDiem said, I've very recently begun transcribing by ear myself, and I'm finding it sticks in my memory SO much more that looking at tabs/videos etc. It's quite scary really. Wish I'd had a crack at it earlier tbh!
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Try using pentatonic scales and solo using just to strings at a time maybe B and E ...then G and B ect ....it will help with you phrasing after a while add extra strings 
    Recently in my own playing i have been taking things right back to basics ....all them simple ideas can create complex ideas when put together in the right way ....
    Thanks for all the help guys, sorry i've been awol from here (birthday the other day and i got a ts9 so i've been playing)
    I've been trying to learn songs by ear such as parisienne walkways and its really fun but challenging, but i do find them sticking in a bit more.

a really basic question with pentatonic scales, i know that there are multiple positions in each key, are they the same positions based on root note? or are there different positions to learn for each key?
    Its embarrassing having no knowledge of such basic principles.
    Taking some lessons is a good shout.
    drmcgrat said:
    Thanks for all the help guys, sorry i've been awol from here (birthday the other day and i got a ts9 so i've been playing)
    I've been trying to learn songs by ear such as parisienne walkways and its really fun but challenging, but i do find them sticking in a bit more.

a really basic question with pentatonic scales, i know that there are multiple positions in each key, are they the same positions based on root note? or are there different positions to learn for each key?
    Its embarrassing having no knowledge of such basic principles.
    Taking some lessons is a good shout.
    There is like 5 main different postions to learn and the key will determine which is the starting note ....so by learing 5 and the notes on the fretboard you can access the different keys
    Perfect answer to my question, so the shapes are the same but the starting note is the key you're playing.
    Thank you
    drmcgrat said:
    Perfect answer to my question, so the shapes are the same but the starting note is the key you're playing.
    Thank you
    Yeah thats it once you learn the pentatonics its just a matter of adding 2 extra notes to make scales....pentatonics are a great way to start though ....look up the blues scale as well ...its a extra note added ..so in A penta you would add a Eb...