Logic X: amp designer and pedalboard

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
edited May 2017 in FX
Anyone using Logic's inbuilt amp designer and pedalboard? How's the modelling stack up with the other amp sim software, S-Gear, Bias, etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    I think Amplitube amps sound better. I've not used S-Gear, I'd say Bias sounds better too but of the software I've tried Amplitube is the nicest overall.

I think you can get demo versions of a lot of this stuff so you may as well see what you like. IIRC Line 6 Helix Native is due soon, though it'll be more expensive (not a comment on value btw)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

Look up "Nonkey" on Youtube.  He plays Loudness covers using Logic's built in British Stack model and it sounds great. 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Logic x's modelling is not the easiest to dial in.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Logic Amp factory etc aren't too bad though not in the same league as S-Gear, I have it as part of the Slate Subscription pack and it's amazing. I recently dabbled in the new version of Peavey's Revalver and was very impressed indeed
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Yes, twiddling thumbs and trying stuff until Helix Native, and working through demos. Tried BIAS and S-Gear and not really been sold on either just as yet, BIAS sounded good but on my large hi res monitor the interface is tiny and fiddly.

• EdBoogieEdBoogie Frets: 39
    edited May 2017
    S-Gear looks like crap, but sounds the best. It took me a while to get over how bad it looks and just listen. I used to use Guitar Rig 5, but it's very very old now (FX are still alright) and sounds bright and brittle. Guitar Rig 6 rumours are starting to emerge.

The built in Logic stuff is great if you have nothing else, but if you already have S-Gear, I wouldn't bother. S-Gear is great for the amp and speaker, use real pedals or the Logic pedalboard before it, and Logic FX for post. S-Gear FX aren't great, but good enough for messing around!
  • S-Gear reverbs are very nice IMO 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    It always annoys me how all volumes default to zero on S-Gear, I remember the first time I used it and I wasted hours checking prefs and settings etc in case I'd made a Schoolboy error 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    sweepy said:
    It always annoys me how all volumes default to zero on S-Gear, I remember the first time I used it and I wasted hours checking prefs and settings etc in case I'd made a Schoolboy error 
    That's never happend to me.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I couldn't get the Logic stuff sounding particularly good - whereas S-Gear really impresses.

try the trial - it's fab 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I can make it work if I don't have anything else there
    but it is a struggle
    Amplitube blows the tits off it
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have early versions of Peavey's Revalver and it was excellent. Interested to hear the latest one
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The logic amp designer and pedalboards are fucking awful. Pure line 6 spider 2 tones only more difficult to dial in! 

DI an amp into wall of sound and then you're talking.
  • I don't like the amp models at all, but i find the pedal board stuff to be ok.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited May 2017
    Much depends on user expectations.

How likely is it that plugging in any old guitar into an arbitrary amp model is going to effortlessly yield your idea of what the modelled amplifier SHOULD sound like? DAW amplifier models are sensitive to the strength of input signal that we send them. Hence, an inadequate guitar signal is not going to drive the gain stage(s) properly. 

What a real amplifier sounds like depends on how you set its controls, where you have put it and which microphone(s) you point at it. 

As for Logic Pedalboard, much depends upon how wild you are willing to get with the control settings. 
    Be seeing you.