Left hand muting technique

BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
Hi Folks

One technique I really want to master is left hand muting - like either where you're attacking all the strings with the right hand to get a really chunky sound but only sounding notes on a couple of strings (like John Mayer - Who Did You Think I Was?) or where you're muting all the strings on certain beats while sounding them on others (like Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin). 

I've made a start on trying to get this down but slow progress. Does anyone have any tips or exercises that help? Or particular songs to learn that are good for the technique?

My action is on the low side I think so I think that makes it a bit more difficult as it's very easy to accidentally sound a string you're trying to mute, especially low down the neck. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8697
    Start by muting the strings, not trying to play a chord, and strumming down up down up continuously. Now move your left hand up and down the strings to vary the tone. If you've got a wah then you can add this too. This helps you to get the touch right at different positions along the neck.

Next step is to just fret a bass note on the bottom string occasionally.

Once that's working you can move on to Long Train Running. If action is an issue then play it in Gm, with the Am shape barred at the 10th fret.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9659
    edited May 2017
    Wilko Johnson is probably worth a look. All his muting is done with the left hand...

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thank all @Roland ;

Great video @HAL9000 I really enjoyed that, thanks!