NAD - Boss Katana 100 1x12... Bit of advice please

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
Crikey! This thing is LOUD!!

https://s2.postimg.org/hs0dnll3t/NAD2.jpg

So pleased with it, and what a massive difference in sound quality from the Mustang. 

Quick questions for all you more knowledgeable types:

Currently I have on my mini pedal board Tuner > Sweet Cream (drive) > Joyo Quattro Delay > Dual Looper. The Mustang didn't have an FX loop, so everything went in front. As a result of that, I had to use the effects from my pedals and ME80 (which I'm now not using - see separate sales thread!) into a clean setting on the amp. 

I'm just waiting for the footswitch (Roland GA FC) to arrive, which means I can set a lot of things up as channels on the amp and use the controller to switch things on and off,which will negate the need for a lot of these individual pedals. I do still want to use the looper and tuner. So, should I go Guitar > Tuner > Amp > Send > Looper > Return? And if I decided to keep the Sweet Cream and Delay pedal, should they slot in to the FX loop or before the amp? Are they actually worth keeping given that the Katana has pretty much every Boss Pedal available to include as part of your chain using the software, and then save as 4 different channels? I can also switch on a noise gate within the software on each channel independently using the software, so this will negate the need for a separate pedal. Right?

Second question: The GA FC says it needs a stereo lead despite it being a mono amp. Can anyone tell me why? 

Finally, Boss says that you should only use their own expression pedals, or you might damage your amp. This sounds like standard bollocks to me, but can anyone tell me different? The footswitch has jacks for volume & expression so to do both I'd either need 2 of them or 1 and a switch. Right? 

Sorry for all the questions, but between you you've got like a million years more experience with this shit! 

Cheers!

Chris

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679

Answer to the 2nd question - it's nothing to do with whether the amp is stereo or not, it is just that it requires 2 circuits to control the different functions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

Answer to the 2nd question - it's nothing to do with whether the amp is stereo or not, it is just that it requires 2 circuits to control the different functions.

Thanks, that makes sense now. 

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    You are right in putting the looper in the fx loop. 

Try the sweet cream cream in the front and the delay in the loop as well, either before or after the looper pedal. 

See what sounds good. There are hundreds of guys on here putting £40 dirt boxes into £2k plus amps.  

If it sounds good. 
    It IS good. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    Legionreturns said:

And if I decided to keep the Sweet Cream and Delay pedal, should they slot in to the FX loop or before the amp? Are they actually worth keeping given that the Katana has pretty much every Boss Pedal available to include as part of your chain using the software, and then save as 4 different channels?
    Don't put the overdrive pedal - or any other distortion or fuzz - in the FX loop. While not very likely, sometimes this can cause trouble, including (very rarely) amp damage. The delay - or any other pedal that doesn't drastically boost gain - will be fine. I would probably keep at least the overdrive, sometimes it can be useful to have a different flavour, and more intuitive to have something at your feet that you can adjust.

Finally, Boss says that you should only use their own expression pedals, or you might damage your amp. This sounds like standard bollocks to me, but can anyone tell me different? The footswitch has jacks for volume & expression so to do both I'd either need 2 of them or 1 and a switch. Right?
    It's very unlikely that a non-Boss expression pedal could damage the amp, but it may not work properly - there are different conventions for expression pedal wiring. But the Boss expression pedals are pretty good, in fact.

I think in theory you could use a footswitch to select either function using just one expression pedal, but I'm not certain what would happen to the other parameter when you switch - it's unlikely to remain where you last had it, more likely to either go to full or zero, which may not be very useful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Thanks for the advice folks. I'm off to buy a shed load of cables, including a stereo one apparently! 

• Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    My Son's foot controller came with the cable.

Cracking amp they are.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I was wondering about these for recording, as well as home practice, and gigging. Looks like you can use them as an audio interface, too.. If so, makes them seem even better for the money..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    usedtobe said:
    I was wondering about these for recording, as well as home practice, and gigging. Looks like you can use them as an audio interface, too.. If so, makes them seem even better for the money..

You can indeed. I use mine for this and it works perfectly.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Nikko said:
    usedtobe said:

You can indeed. I use mine for this and it works perfectly.
    Does it have a speaker sim on the line out?
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

I have the 50w, so it doesn't have the line-out unfortunately. Couldn't tell you about the 100w.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**