Ebay.com slashing fees on guitar gear

What's Hot
HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
edited May 2017 in FX

https://tamebay.com/2017/05/ebay-com-slash-fees-for-guitars-amps-and-accessories.html

I'd say that it's all down to Reverb gaining ground. 

Will we see it here? Maybe. But it'll still be the same old shitty Ebay we all know and love/tolerate/hate/your feelings here. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 255
    I would agree - I've been keeping an eye on Reverbs progress for the last 5 years.  They started off by stealing Ebay traffic.  eBay have tended to target higher volume commercial sellers too rather than private sellers and Reverb's pulling the rug from underneath them through clever use of Ebay's API.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Makes sense. I can't speak for everyone but EBay has become the absolute last resort for selling something due to the ridiculous fees. Definitely be more likely to use it now if they roll it out here. 

I'd imagine it's also impacted sales as so much gear is now overpriced on eBay due to the seller working the fees into the prices. It also encourages people to list on eBay and sell outside to avoid fees. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    I've never had a problem with ebay so this is good news. Although they've been doing regular cheap listings offers for ages anyway. 

Plus, they don't run puff pieces bigging up known scammers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7818
    I've had too many bad experiences with eBay.  I'll buy, but I won't ever sell there again.  

The last straw was a fully functional/serviced valve amp that went to Italy.  Scumbag claimed it was faulty, eBay refunded him, and he kept my amp.  Zero recourse for me, the seller.  
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

has this come into place already then?

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    For the USA, yes. Not in the UK. 

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/payments-and-fees/fees-and-features.html?clk_rvr_id=1218746142530&rmvSB=true

When you look at that, it's quite clear that it's a reaction to Reverb. 

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    TheMarlin said:
    I've had too many bad experiences with eBay.  I'll buy, but I won't ever sell there again.  

The last straw was a fully functional/serviced valve amp that went to Italy.  Scumbag claimed it was faulty, eBay refunded him, and he kept my amp.  Zero recourse for me, the seller.  
    That's blatant fraud. What did eBay say when you told them that the amp hadn't been returned?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I find eBay does work well but I'll only ever sell through eBay if I get a discounted listing offer - the regular fees are just too high. 
    I usually list stuff here first though - if i need to resort to eBay, I'll increase the price and will still wait for a listing offer.

i do still buy on eBay as I find it pretty easy to "browse" or search what I'm looking for compared to other sites ( with the exception of here!)

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    TheMarlin said:

that's why I never sell abroad on there despite ebay keep trying to re enrol me in that international shipping thingy. I've not had it happen to me like that, once I sold an Ibanez RG to a guy in france, said he'd arrange the courier (and pay natch) so I just had to open the door and pass it on to the courier and jobs a good un. Only months later I got chased by the courier for underpaying them...I told them (in a letter) I wasn't their customer but the guy who booked and paid for it was - so chase him. Never heard anything from them again but it was enough to make me wary of the potential trouble selling abroad can be with ebay. I do still sell on ebay despite them getting far too greedy in recent years, its just the easiest way to sell. I do offer first on here but its ebay at the same time as here is very hit n miss anyway. Never used reverb to sell, only bought once with no issues and that was a Carl Martin AC TONE from Russia! Still even if I was to sell on their not sure i'd opt for selling abroad.
    edited May 2017
    I gave up my career a couple of years ago to focus on selling non musical items through Ebay full time and I pull in £6000 a month. For the most part Ebay are OK to deal with although I got immensely pissed off with other sellers (our competition) abusing Ebay policy via the report button to get my listings removed. For example, claiming that we're using a copyrighted photograph when we're not.  Ebay were ZERO help when I raised the issue with support.  I also get fed up with them constantly changing the settings and not updating the help section so we know what is going on.  Or changing a business name in Novermber last year and discovering in April the name had reverted back due to a bug in the software.  

I have plans to set up independently but eBay don't like sellers doing that...

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Bork said:
    I gave up my career a couple of years ago to focus on selling non musical items through Ebay full time and I pull in £6000 a month. 
    Much respect for making a success from it!
    Thank you sir.  No more enduring backstabbing office politics from power cliques of bitches any more and self serving HR, just the occasional customers asking for the moon-on-a-stick for next to nothing.

[This space for rent]

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Oh man it pains me to think how much money I've put into eBay's pockets through buying and selling gear on there :-S  Reverb must be shitting it now
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    I doubt it. Reverb haven't got a chequered history like eBay.