Bands with two guitarists using same brand amps

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ESBlonde said: 
    The points have already been made, the arrangement and parts are critical. Also the amount of amp saturation, on clean (ish) sounds we know individual player nuance comes through and we can hear a knopfler or clapton tone, on shredded distorted stuff that subtlety is not so audible. so how do you think your playing style goes?

I'm all over the shop. Clean arpeggios and melodies. Lightly distorted leads and melodies. High gain riffs and high gain solos. Lots of effects too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For a simple test just pull up the DIs for your last album and reamp through the same tone both sides, and then compare changing a cab IR (try same vendor, SM57 same position each), vs change amp through same IR, vs just using amp EQ to separate.

It won't translate 100% to live, but it'll give you an idea at least.
    No di tracks. Plus plenty of places on the existing tracks where the riffs are one amp double tracked and a melody line down the middle
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESBlonde said: 
    The points have already been made, the arrangement and parts are critical. Also the amount of amp saturation, on clean (ish) sounds we know individual player nuance comes through and we can hear a knopfler or clapton tone, on shredded distorted stuff that subtlety is not so audible. so how do you think your playing style goes?

I'm all over the shop. Clean arpeggios and melodies. Lightly distorted leads and melodies. High gain riffs and high gain solos. Lots of effects too. 
    Then without listening to specific songs, I'd say you have enough variation going on most of the time and what does it matter if you both 'merge' once in a while as long as it serves the song.

Anyway GAS is GAS!

ESBlonde said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESBlonde said: 

Then without listening to specific songs, I'd say you have enough variation going on most of the time and what does it matter if you both 'merge' once in a while as long as it serves the song.

Anyway GAS is GAS!

Yeah that's kind of my thinking. There isn't a split in our band between 'rhythm' and 'lead' guitarists. We both jump around and play both roles at different times *and* also sometimes at the same time. So it's quite hard to delineate our roles and sounds.

What I do know is, even a 3 channel amp for me is something of a compromise. So the 4 channel Diezels are *really* giving me a broner right now!!

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    tone is in the fingers yo  ;-)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    I think good separation comes from arrangement ..... when you want to you can hear the 2 parts because they are very different, other times you both play the same part and it sounds huge like a double tracked recording does 

I think this hits the nail on the head. Look at Iron Maiden, who have three guitarists who all basically use Stratocaster type guitars through Marshall amplification yet they have no particular issue because a lot of thought goes into the arrangements. The effect is exactly what Danny1969 describes. Obviously having everyone using the same amps requires a bit more thought but it's only a limitation if you don't bother to work on the arrangements.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    So most people are saying avoid it, yet the heaviest and most impressive metal tones are almost always double or quad tracked. 

Using exactly the same gear mostly. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

Drew_TNBD said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESBlonde said: 

Anyway GAS is GAS!

Yeah that's kind of my thinking. There isn't a split in our band between 'rhythm' and 'lead' guitarists. We both jump around and play both roles at different times *and* also sometimes at the same time. So it's quite hard to delineate our roles and sounds.

What I do know is, even a 3 channel amp for me is something of a compromise. So the 4 channel Diezels are *really* giving me a broner right now!!

There's that Herbert in the classifieds...

Drew_TNBD said:
    ESBlonde said: 

Sounds like my kinda band!!!
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I don't think it would be a problem. Ultimately you know what you're doing.
    Two Krakens albeit 6l6 and el34 sound great together. I'm pretty sure many bands have managed with two Marshalls or Fenders.
    You'll probably enjoy it more with the amp you want and therefore be more creative possibly?

Drew_TNBD said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    ESBlonde said: 

Anyway GAS is GAS!

There's that Herbert in the classifieds...
    Only 3 channels. I really fancy a VH4 or a Hagen tbh!

ennspek said:
    I don't think it would be a problem. Ultimately you know what you're doing.
    Two Krakens albeit 6l6 and el34 sound great together. I'm pretty sure many bands have managed with two Marshalls or Fenders.
    You'll probably enjoy it more with the amp you want and therefore be more creative possibly?
    After spending some time thinking about it my gut feel is that it'd work absolutely fine. Everything in the chain makes a difference to the tone, and many bands have two or more guitarists using the same speakers, same picks, same guitars, same pickups, same amps, same strings, same delay pedals, same cables, etc...

I think there is some sense to the different voicings argument. But that's if you WANT different voicings, and often times metal bands kinda don't. They want big in yer face walls of sound, which are equally attainable with two of the same amp imo.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    edited May 2017
    A different speaker/cab and mic will make a big difference, even with the same head.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I actually really like the sound of two guitarists using the same brand or even the same equipment, it really allows you to tell the differences in technique, feel and core tone.

While i was still touring, we had a Laney endorsement so we both used Laneys, when we played Download we both used Marshalls and a lot of the bands we'd play with would often have a couple of 5150's or a pair of Rectos. The whole separation thing is something that happens on the internet, if you go out and play live and rehearse hard with differing guitar parts you'll be fine. I used to love really locked in palm mute sections when me and the other guitarist would really connect, it created massively fat tones.

Most of my experience is at high gain, if that makes any difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    timmysoft said:
    I actually really like the sound of two guitarists using the same brand or even the same equipment, it really allows you to tell the differences in technique, feel and core tone.

While i was still touring, we had a Laney endorsement so we both used Laneys, when we played Download we both used Marshalls and a lot of the bands we'd play with would often have a couple of 5150's or a pair of Rectos. The whole separation thing is something that happens on the internet, if you go out and play live and rehearse hard with differing guitar parts you'll be fine. I used to love really locked in palm mute sections when me and the other guitarist would really connect, it created massively fat tones.

Most of my experience is at high gain, if that makes any difference.
    Very interesting!!

Well the other guitarist hasn't ruled it out, and I have someone coming to possibly buy my VHT Sig X on Monday, so a VH4 or Hagen isn't totally out of the question!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Paul Weller and Steve Cradock often seen with a mix of Blackstars and Marshalls each
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

My main gripe with twin guitar bands is when two guitarists are playing the same part. If guitarists are playing the same thing as each other then lose one guitarist as it just muddies tone and clarity. 
    shaunm said:
    In my band the other guitar has more gain and I have more clarity and more classic rock gain. We use different amps.

My main gripe with twin guitar bands is when two guitarists are playing the same part. If guitarists are playing the same thing as each other then lose one guitarist as it just muddies tone and clarity. 
    I can't agree with that at all really. Hasn't been my experience. Checkout bands like ISIS, Pelican, and Mastodon. Heavy riffs that are mostly played together, with a few notes here and there that are different to create harmonies. No muddiness at all, just pure rock and metal in yer face guitars!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    shaunm said:
    In my band the other guitar has more gain and I have more clarity and more classic rock gain. We use different amps.

I can't agree with that at all really. Hasn't been my experience. Checkout bands like ISIS, Pelican, and Mastodon. Heavy riffs that are mostly played together, with a few notes here and there that are different to create harmonies. No muddiness at all, just pure rock and metal in yer face guitars!
    Personally I love those songs where both guitars have their own complementing parts, but then double up occasionally to really hammer home the riff. 
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    Drew_TNBD said:
    shaunm said:

I'm probably looking at it from a indie rock perspective where it's barre chords. From a heavier rock side of things I get it when used occasionally for effect but when it's riff after riff - it gets lost on me.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    We use 2 marshalls. I'm aware this is dewply uncool.
    I had hope that the other guitarist would get something else after I accidentally set his amp on fire but he bought another identical one (its an AVT too not even valvey).
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ