Hows about these then..... New Gibson Standard Paint Over

What's Hot

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 374
    I actually liked the black over gold one, It's a good colour combination. I'd like to see some other models done in this style, it might suit them better.

I don't quite get the Gibson hate, it seems like people just enjoy having a moan at their expense.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    This one:

Or...this one:

Please! :)

But @ £999, not £5,999.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I'd buy the white for £1k....that's it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    For fender, back in the day, anything other than sunburst was a custom colour. Hence why the two tone reveal relic paint job is relevant to their aged guitars. 

Gibson trying to imitate this? Not so sure. Maybe if the price was a lot lower and realistic. Having said that.. a fender custom shop two tone relic isn't exactly competitively priced when you consider how much extra the extra colour layer of nitro had cost you

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Jack_ said:
    I feel a bit sorry for Gibson - people will hate on them for anything they do, they might as well give up.
    No... people will not hate Gibson for making a sensible standard range of their most popular models, with decent QC and at reasonable prices, with classic hardware and without pissing around changing the spec every year, and possibly with a few 'other' models as limited editions or to try new ideas.

But they seem incapable of doing this, hence the hate.

These are stupid, overpriced, bandwagon-jumping gimmicks that look terrible. The sooner the whole obviously-fake-relic thing becomes about as fashionable as brass hardware and multiple mini-switches the better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    ICBM said:
    Jack_ said:
    I feel a bit sorry for Gibson - people will hate on them for anything they do, they might as well give up.
    No... people will not hate Gibson for making a sensible standard range of their most popular models, with decent QC and at reasonable prices, with classic hardware and without pissing around changing the spec every year, and possibly with a few 'other' models as limited editions or to try new ideas.

These are stupid, overpriced, bandwagon-jumping gimmicks that look terrible. The sooner the whole obviously-fake-relic thing becomes about as fashionable as brass hardware and multiple mini-switches the better.
    Wis'd! That's all we want. 1 range, classic designs and specs, good price. A trad spec Les Paul Junior at £1500 and I'm in!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I'm with @ICBM - just a sensible range which they believe in enough not to change it every 12 months. When Fender launch something like the American Pro, they'll stick with it for a good number of years. 

And the 2017 catalog is plain weird - all that shit at the bottom end yet you can't buy a Les Paul Junior. In fact, outside of the custom shop you can't buy anything with a P90. Or a fatter neck than a 60's slim taper.

Ludicrus company - the sooner it goes bang (sorry folk who are employed there) and someone picks it up and makes it good again the better.

• MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    edited May 2017
    Not great. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Well Gibson *did* do something similar back in the day. For example George Harrison's red Les Paul, Lucy, was a factory refinish. Alvin Lee's Big Red was oversprayed with lacquer in the factory following the headstock repair meaning the stickers couldn't be removed.

So yes there is 'history' here plus there are examples of Gibsons that have been over painted by third parties - either for a cosmetic change or to hide some repairs.

But... these aren't very nice. I'm NOT a fan of guitars where the relic finish exposes another shade underneath. Frankly it looks a bit daft - the real guitars so finished originally rarely look so distressed (unless Yngwie has been 'looking after' them). Plus aren't relics supposed to be falling out of fashion? I hope so, as whilst I don't mind guitars with a few signs of genuine use and battle scars this fashion for guitars that look like they have been mauled by a Tiger in a sess pit whilst on fire look silly. And whilst these don't fall fully into that category, they do look daft.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I wouldnt mind them if they weren't so obviously fake looking, possibly because the over spray colours aren't really classic Gibson colours...actually I think it'd look better on Firebirds / Explorers and maybe SGs. 

As others have mentioned it does feel a bit like the relic thing is slowly losing popularity and we're moving back to standard finished or lightly aged nitro types. That just makes it worse - Gibson are not only bandwagon-jumping, they're doing it 10 years too late.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I wouldnt mind them if they weren't so obviously fake looking, possibly because the over spray colours aren't really classic Gibson colours...actually I think it'd look better on Firebirds / Explorers and maybe SGs. 

As others have mentioned it does feel a bit like the relic thing is slowly losing popularity and we're moving back to standard finished or lightly aged nitro types. That just makes it worse - Gibson are not only bandwagon-jumping, they're doing it 10 years too late.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Jack_ said:

I agree with this

I have no issue with Limited Editions been added to the range or custom colours added to the range as additional models - ie LP DC Junior or Specials with an aged finish - @WezV 's example looks better than those of Gibson - But such guitars need to be optional models to the best selling classic versions

Launch say a Limited Edition LP Standard with say an aged finish or a few custom colours from time to time, but again these should be additional to the best selling model

Get the core range right and add a few well chosen Ltd Ed versions around it with custom options
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    They would have done well to do this on a "student" series guitar like a Melody maker or LP junior - it would have been a winner.
    Huber is now doing Krautster relic finishes.
    Irrespective of the finish I think the price of these models for any guitar is just ridiculous

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    they are a bit similiar to this, Gibson have never been so quick on the uptake have they 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    They noticed those lovely 'old black' custom orders that Coda have had done and rather than leaving it at a good thing that those of us who are Neil Young fans would fancy, got a bit carried away (again) and produced a whole product line. 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Looking at that LTD, I've changed my mind. Great job Gibson. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Just... no.

Is it just me? Am I really out of touch with what high end guitarists like, or are other people thinking "if I had £6000 to spend on a guitar it would be a once-in-a-lifetime purchase and I'd want it to look less shit than that. A lot less shit."

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    That knob wear on the LTD is comical.

someone described mine as looking like the devils guitar.  But the LTD has the claw marks ;)

they are all all just finished at the end of the day.  Mine was a non-authentic build, but I wanted to try some relic techniques and decided it should have a non-authentic relic finish.  I still considered a "story" for the finish.  

I did a red stain and clear lacquer finish just like an original junior.  I considered the overspray as a later mod, not a factory job. Probably done be some punk band in the late 70's, a lazy refinish over the existing one. Then it got 40 years worth of hard gigging wear.  A guitar that was under valued, not looked after.    This is probably the true story of a few juniors over the years
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I have a LTD with a relic finish. Like the one above I don't think it would fool anyone for a second that it has thirty years of wear but I don't think it's meant to, it's just a look - could equally have been pink with purple spots. 
    The Gibson and Fender ones do seem to be trying to convey actual use though. I'd agree that for Gibson this would be more convincing on something like a Junior.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Which US states legalised pot again?

Good grief.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom