Router VPN

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
I'm upgrading my router, and am probably going to run a VPN on it. Has anyone else done this? Experienced any speed issues?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I did use a VPN for the last two years, but stopped this year as I don't need it anymore.  I didn't experience any noticeable speed issues with Private Internet Access, but I was only doing basic browsing and watching YouTube videos.  It really does depend on what you're going to be doing online and what sort of traffix you're running through the vpn as to what sort of throttling you might come up against.  

you should consult here:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/simple-vpn-comparison-chart/
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Cheers for that.

I'm using a VPN on my PC, I was more asking specifically asking about one applied directly my router.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Bidley said:
    Cheers for that.

I'm using a VPN on my PC, I was more asking specifically asking about one applied directly my router.
    There should be no real difference in speed between having the VPN on the computer or the router.
    A pipe is a pipe.

Except this one:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    Cheers for that.

Just wondering, why do you want to run a VPN on  your router directly? 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    I didn't get good results. I use ipvanish and get about 150mbps directly using the app, but adding it to the router I was getting 30mbps and constant drop outs.
    Bidley said:
    Cheers for that.

I have CyberGhost, and my license only allows use on one device. By using it on my router, I effectively have the VPN on all devices connected to it.
    DefaultM said:
    I didn't get good results. I use ipvanish and get about 150mbps directly using the app, but adding it to the router I was getting 30mbps and constant drop outs.
    Ouch. I've just tried it and I'm having all sorts of problems (which could well be just my limited IT skills). I could flash my router but... ugh.
    Bidley said:
    Bidley said:
    Cheers for that.

I have CyberGhost, and my license only allows use on one device. By using it on my router, I effectively have the VPN on all devices connected to it.

OK fair enough, just wondered. 

I bet if you asked on reddit you could get an answer. 

Probably. I'll head over there methinks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_xtpaul_xt Frets: 86
    edited May 2017
    I use ip vanish and set it up on my router by flashing it with DD-WRT. There's only certain devices in my house behind it, and I wouldn't say I notice a drop in speed etc... Works pretty well all in all