Terrorist threat, does it bother you

What's Hot

Comments

• paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Being in London it bothers me. But I wont change my routine or my hobbies or anything. I'd rather die.
    Same here, I live in London, use public transport for everything and work near canary wharf. It has been on my mind this week but I wont let it affect anything that I want to do or would do normally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    With Grimsby,I imagine,not being that high on the list of terrorists targets it doesn't worry me at all,though I fully understand why others living in big cities do.

There was a bit of a debate about this subject on the local news tonight as there is a big festival on in Hull this weekend.One guy emailed in saying he'd ripped up his ticket as he didn't want to risk it,which I thought was a bit extreme but each to their own,I suppose.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Even though I chastised @Winny_Pooh for his logic in another thread, it's extremely unlikely to be any of our downfalls so it doesn't worry me personally at all. I was a teenager when 9/11 happened and the hysteria afterwards from some of the girls expecting to explode at any moment was utterly brain melting stuff.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Again, old enough to remember the pub bombings and the very imminent threat of the Cold War, tbh Manchester, though tragic is one of those things we are going to have to live with as we go bombing the living shit out of other Countries and give Religion the oxygen it craves 
    My family grew up round Belfast during the troubles so I've heard plenty of stories and have a couple of memories related to them. Driving with southern plates round Belfast when something had happened that had both sides riled, that sort of thing. Young/stupid enough not to be bothered at the time, my Aunt who was driving was though; a combination of stealth and super fast tactics through the back roads. Different times.

I've always been fascinated by the cold war, how many people here were at an age to understand it enough to be genuinely worried the end was nigh? Forgetting whether it was a rational or irrational fear, did anyone really think it would happen?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Tavernor said:
    My family grew up round Belfast during the troubles so I've heard plenty of stories and have a couple of memories related to them. Driving with southern plates round Belfast when something had happened that had both sides riled, that sort of thing. Young/stupid enough not to be bothered at the time, my Aunt who was driving was though; a combination of stealth and super fast tactics through the back roads. Different times.

I've always been fascinated by the cold war, how many people here were at an age to understand it enough to be genuinely worried the end was nigh? Forgetting whether it was a rational or irrational fear, did anyone really think it would happen?
    Living pretty much next door to 3 main Cold War targets, we'd come to the conclusion that we wouldn't have had the 4 minute warning and been a pile of ash before we knew it. The sense of imminent destruction was palpable back then and the growth of the CND and the Greenham Common camps only gave a more vocal reference point 
    There are some mocked up videos on YouTube of real-time news reporting on things unraveling with Russia, spiraling out of control then ending with a very realistic 'take cover' style warning before static. The one I saw started with bargain hunt for about 10 minutes so you could dupe friends into thinking they needed to repent. I knew it was fake but still felt hypnotised by it and had cold chills at the abrupt ending. Think there's an updated one with TM in charge but haven't watched it yet.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited May 2017
    Fuck no. Even living in London my odds of dying in a terrorist attack are as likely as winning the lottery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Tavernor said:
    Even though I chastised @Winny_Pooh for his logic in another thread, it's extremely unlikely to be any of our downfalls so it doesn't worry me personally at all. I was a teenager when 9/11 happened and the hysteria afterwards from some of the girls expecting to explode at any moment was utterly brain melting stuff.
    Were you a sexy teenager?
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited May 2017
    It bothers me as a world issue but I will never let it affect my day to day life.

I refuse to give those fuckers what they want and why they do it in the first place - fear.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It bothers me as a world issue but I will never let it affect my day to day life.

I refuse to give those tickets what they want and why they do it in the first place - fear.
    Yeeeaahh! Fuck those tickets!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    @Drew_TNBD they've hacked my account already too! ;)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    Naah.  Fuck 'em.  The odds of any of us getting blown up are miniscule compared to the increased odds of getting knocked down because you're too busy worrying about getting blown up.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    I went to New York with some mates a few weeks after 9/11. We had it booked months beforehand and we were damned if we were going to let 'them' ruin our plans. We had a bloody great week!

My brother took his wife to Paris a week after the cafe bombing. He asked my advice before they went (my brother never asks me for advice) which tells me they were worried. Their hotel was around the corner from the cafe so it was understandable but it was also - in my mind - the safest time to travel there and probably the safest place to be staying given the crime scene investigation going on nearby.
    They went, and had a fabulous time.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited May 2017
    No. Having been through a false alarm - although it seemed pretty real at the time - in the Louvre last summer, I can honestly say that I will not bow to fear. I'll take reasonable action to avoid danger if something actually happens, but beyond that, I'll do no more than be aware of things like where the emergency exits are - the same as if there's a fire. The chances of actually being killed or injured even if you're at a venue that is attacked are fairly small, and the overall odds are probably about the same as being struck by lightning or dying in a plane crash. (I have no idea how accurate that comparison is and I have no real interest - they're all pretty remote. All significantly less likely than being killed in a car crash.)

I was back in the Louvre an hour later after the all-clear had been given, by the way - with my wife and kids. I reasoned that the risk was extremely small in the first place and that immediately afterwards, it would not only be completely safe due to the increased security presence, it would most likely be as un-crowded as it would ever be! It was...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    No, it doesn't really matter if I die
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    No way will it change my life. 

I grew up in London during the 70's and 80's and the threat the IRA posed seemed greater - but we just got on with it.  

I took my kids to a gig a Wembley the day (ish) after The Bataclan attack.  Fuck you terrorists - I ain't scared of you and neither are my children. 
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I took my son to Anfield for the first time a few weeks ago. My wife's biggest worry was a terrorist attack, really does make you think. We both worked in London at the time of the IRA litter bin bombs, that was a truly fearful time and it looks like we're heading back to those fears. So yes, it does bother me and starting to think twice about heading to events with crowds
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Does it bother ME? No, not really. I doesn't stop me going into London, and I wont let it stop me flying to Germany next month either.

Would I take my family to a big event with massive crowds at the moment? Probably not.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom