Terrorist threat, does it bother you

What's Hot

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Doesn't bother me, personally.  While I feel sorry for people who are affected by these incidents, I'm more likely to get killed crossing the street, or by some yobbo in a pub.  Terrorism is the least of my worries.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    It bothers me insofar as I don't want to be blown up on a train or on the tube.  While I think it's very unlikely, so is winning the lottery and someone wins that quite frequently.....

Business as usual though as, like most people, what choice is there.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

A little, If I'm with the kids.  I was with my lad when Old Trafford was evacuated and that was a bit worrying.  On my own I don't really think about it.  

Off to London next week, will be doing the usual tourist things with the family, it won't stop us doing anything, but I think making the effort to be aware of your surroundings and check emergency exits etc is no bad thing.   But then you should do that all the time anyway.  Also it's good to be aware of the normality bias.  Go about your business without worrying, the chances of anything happening to you are statistically very low, depite what the media says.  But don't refuse to believe something could happen.  If there's a warning and you have time to act, it's best to act on it quickly and efficiently.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26926
    I worry about muggings and stabbings when I travel, but little else, and certainly not terrorism.

I guess I'm just a tiny bit uneasy about the increased risk of incidents with planes, but I flyer work an average of once a week and will continue to do so. We had a couple of internal flights in Egypt in April and the chances of something happening even there are still so ridiculously low as to be insignificant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    It doesn't bother me in the least.  

Mrs Marlin is a bit of a panic monkey, it bothers her. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'm not afraid of terrorists harming me.
    I am more scared of a terrorist harming my friends and family. As unlikely as it is.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Emp_Fab said:
    Naah.  Fuck 'em.  The odds of any of us getting blown up are miniscule compared to the increased odds of getting knocked down because you're too busy worrying about getting blown up.
    This. I've found that people who're properly scared of a terrorist attack tend to pay less attention to the everyday things they come across that will definitely kill them in favour of looking out for something that - statistically-speaking - might as well not happen at all.
    <space for hire>
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Worrying about Isis falls somewhere below running out of tea bags.

In fact it makes me want to go to Manchester. I was born close to it, my family such as it is came from there, I haven't been back in years. It's a great city.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Not worried in the slightest. But I do think we should stop it from happening by working out what makes people do this and stopping them from feeling that way so they stop trying to do it. 

The actual threat to any of us is statistically almost non-existent. The damage done by fear, worry and changes to our way of life is the thing we need to watch out for.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    it hasnt made me any keener to into Bradford City Centre, but then again i try and avoid that fucking armpit of humanity at all times anyway 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    underdog said:
    ......and if so how much?

For many the threat or impact of terrorism may not impact their lives with fear (or bereavement for the few very unlucky) but terrorism has impacted many ways of life far more banal.

Having a nail cutter seized by customs before boarding a plane, and incredibly long waits for customs at airports.  Incredibly tight levels of security for office workers for the civil service and other offices in London and other cities.  Scanners for entering museums, venues and so on.  

Other aspects as well, none of which have any serious impact but are a regular cause of minor aggravation.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I'm more worried about falling down the stairs when I get up in the morning and feel a bit groggy.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    So all those who aren't worried, would you go to an event in London with 80,000 people attending it and not worry? Would you do the same but take your wife/partner/loved one and not worry?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yep.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    underdog said:
    So all those who aren't worried, would you go to an event in London with 80,000 people attending it and not worry? Would you do the same but take your wife/partner/loved one and not worry?

Yes, I would.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    underdog said:
    Yes.

I'd be more worried about being mugged on the way there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    no. The odds of being caught up in a terrorist attack are minuscule, and there's loads of people keeping us safe to ensure that it doesn't happen. Driving is much more dangerous. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    For me, I don't think about it too much, just get on with the same stuff. For my family, yes, I'd worry about certain scenarios
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    underdog said:
    Even if there was an attack at such an event, the chance of fatality or injury is still fairly low.

I'm far more concerned about driving up and down the A1, to be honest - regular crashes near us. In fact, I drove past a nasty one yesterday - somebody trying to pull onto the A1 from a standing start (it's a very dangerous junction), misjudged it and got hit by someone at 70. The cars ended up 150 yards down the road, one in the ditch and one one its roof.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    Not really.

Death (at least not a painless one) doesn't bother me at all.

But dying before the kids are grown up and able to look after themselves - that does bother me quite a lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom