SOLO of the Month #27 - Voting

Howdy fretboarders!

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month #27

Voting closes on the 31st May at 11.50 pm.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Same deal as the main Fretboard Challenge, vote for your top 3 entries!

1st choice gets 5 points

2nd choice gets 3 points

3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries on this playlist

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm-26-2017-05
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    edited May 2017
    One thing that surprised me is how few people ended the solo.  Maybe I think in too linear a way, as I'm not sure anybody else ended when I did  I just heard vocals coming back in there.

Hard to keep track of what I thought, so wrote a bunch of notes on them all.  Then deleted those who didn't score.

@Brad - my girlfriend was listening while I put this on.  I hadn't told her which one was mine and, when this started, she immediately piped up, "This one's good!"  I agree.  My immediate first choice. 5 points.

@DulcetJones - novel approach, which I applaud, and some sexy little runs.  3 points.

@Modellista - well structured and some cool melodic phrasing and enjoyed the run up towards the end.  1 point.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    @imalrightjack I ended the solo in the same place as you ... actually on the same note :-)

5 points @imalrightjack - simple, but well constructed and with a nice bit of harmonies at the end
    3 points @modellista ;- mainly because of the ascending run at the end, which I really enjoyed
    1 point @Brad - nice tone and playing

I think @Rowby1 said this is actually part of a completed track that has vocals and everything - and I think having the vocals for context would really have helped in some respects. As it was I struggled for anything to latch on to when thinking of something to play.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Lots of great solos, so I picked up on fairly subtle things to differential between them and to make my decisions.

5 points @Brad Well constructed. Sounds a bit EJ at the end.
    3 points @imalrightjack Nice understated harmonies.
    1 point @ash96 This one has a tone and style that is well suited to the track.
    It's not a competition.
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Really tough to vote on this, there are things I like in every solo and anyone could've made it into my top 3.

5 points @imalrightjack - lovely melodic use of bending just about set this apart for me. A singable solo!
    3 points @Teetonetal - great feel and phrasing again nice and melodic too.
    1 point @stratman3142 - like the way this one develops, some nice thinking outside the box phrases.

Special mention to @DulcetJones for the nylon string approach, reminds me a little of Steve Harley's 'Make Me Smile'.   

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    edited May 2017
    @imalrightjack @markv yes, the vocals probably should have been left in to at least give a bit more of a clue as to the start and finish of the solo. 

Some really great playing in the stuff people have entered though. Will sort some scores tomorrow.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    @Rowby1 I guess having it without vocals makes it more open to interpretation.

Once we're done here I'd love to hear the whole track!
    If people who want to hear it PM me their email addresses I'm happy to send them the full track.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    5 Points -  @modellista ;  Loved the raw tone, Tele?
      3 Points -  @Brad  Killer lick near the end.
       1 Point - @stratman3142  It was close, so many good entries.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

edited May 2017

@Bellycaster - 5 points  Nicely phrased and slightly understated. Maybe the tone could have been a touch brighter but that was outweighed by the feel and phrasing.

@Brad - 3 points  Good all round, tone maybe a touch too rock for my taste against the track but hey,  good job we don't all like the same thing.

@mudslide73 - A bit too heavy on the reverb which meant some of the detail got a bit lost, but nice work otherwise.

All the entries were good though, no one really deserved nil point. As it's my backing track I should make some special mentions worthy of at least a point each.  

@DulcetJones for a good idea trying the nylon strung approach, a nice alternative.

@modellista for the great ascending double stops at the end of the solo.

@imalrightjack for great harmony ending and for spotting the "out point" without having the vocal cue.

@markv for also "getting" the ending.

The original track actually has some "vocal interjections" over the solo which I debated leaving in but felt it might limit peoples options a bit too much. Would have been interesting to see how differently people would have approached it with the vocals though.

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 167
    edited May 2017
    Didn't find time to get an entry in for this one sadly but will add my votes anyway fwiw:

5pts - @Brad - loved everything about this
    3pts - @imalrightjack - lovely feel, bends and harmonising
    1pt - @ash96 - particularly liked your tone 

Again, tricky choices, good work all round.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Very well played all round here, just my taste tended to prefer the more subtle approaches to suit this backing track. Very little between my Top 3.

5 Points @Brad wonderfully melodic and the ending, to me, had a kind of Mike Oldfield feel to it. Good spot by @stratman3142 as there are EJ vibes going on there too.

3 Points @ash96 The tone and feel were well suited to the track. Nice "hook" phrase towards the end too.

1 Point @markv I like the way this solo has a gliding/floating relationship with the backing, very smooth.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    @mudslide73 @modellista @Teetonetal @ash96 @ChrisRG - nobody else votes, so you might as well have your say :)

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    @mudslide73 @modellista @Teetonetal @ash96 @ChrisRG - nobody else votes, so you might as well have your say

Sorry Been away all weekend and just got back today.

My votes go to -

@Brad - 5 Points - Found this one to be structured really well, well played and nice tone!

@teetonal - 3 Points - Lots of nice little licks and hooks throughout

@imalrightjack - 1 point - Lovely bends throughout!

Most of my love for solo's come from how well I can sing it after I've listened to it once or twice, so well done chaps!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Yup, also busy as living in a hotel whilst water damage to flat is taken care of.
    5 points @Brad
    3 points @imalrightjack ;
    1 point @ash96 

• ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Last few nights out of town too.  Really high standard of playing and great to see so many entries

5 points - @Brad ; superb playing and an EJ feel at the end.  Awesome
    3 points - @stratman3142 another great solo.  Nice run at the end too
    1 point - @Teetonetal smooth playing and a really nice melody
  • 5 points @Brad
    3 points @ChrisRG
    1 point @modellista ;
    Old Is Gold
  • voting closes today
    Old Is Gold