Tuners

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
What do you guys use/prefer? Do you prefer a pedal on the board or use the type that you clip on the guitar? 
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Pedal tuner for gigging, clip on is ok for home.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Same here - either is fine at home, pedal for playing in the band. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    What board tuners do you use ?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Clip ons are alright for jam nights or home.

I have a cheap clip-on which is shite. However I always have a Boss metronome/tuner unit so I can tune up accurately at a jam. It lives in my gig bag. I'd use a pedal tuner given the choice.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Pedal for gigs, phone app for home.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

A pedal at gigs always. one that can mute. right dull for the crowd listening to you tune up.

At home, into rack tuner on desk if there. or just phone app in in living room.

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    Boss Tu-3 pedal at gigs for the convenience/ability to mute and I'll use any old tuner when playing at home
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Pedal for gigs. Everything else is either too much faff, or isn't going to work properly.

I've got a Polytune mini on my pedalboard and a full sized Polytune that I use with my acoustic, so if I need a tuner at home I grab the Polytune out of my "acoustic gigs" bag.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Pitch black on my board, crappy clip on for unplugged. 2 of my amps have tuners built in at a pinch.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I have a tc polytune although it seems mostly to be on my son's bass but I wouldn't use it live as it would be too easily knocked off. My old TU2 still gets used for gigs, sometimes it's as useful as an instant mute as much as a tuner. At the moment it's also got the OD daisy chained off it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Fobthe tc electronic ones have the ability to mute ? I know I can check this all out online somewhere but I'm just being lazy ;)
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Yes, Polytunes mute
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I have a tc polytune although it seems mostly to be on my son's bass but I wouldn't use it live as it would be too easily knocked off. My old TU2 still gets used for gigs, sometimes it's as useful as an instant mute as much as a tuner. At the moment it's also got the OD daisy chained off it. 
    Fobthe tc electronic ones have the ability to mute ? I know I can check this all out online somewhere but I'm just being lazy ;)
    tc Polytune clip I meant. I think the pedal version can mute. You can tune using the clip with the guitar volume off but instant muting is more helpful on a gig. Depends on the gig I guess and especially if you need to change instruments.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Pitch pipes.
    I'm old school.
     :) 

Actually, I use a TC Polytune which is playing up at the moment so I'm going to replace it with my dependable old Korg DT-10.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited May 2017
    TC Polytune clip on as the tuner on the Axe-FX is utter garbage 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Phone App or Korg GT4 at home/Jams etc.
    Kork Pitchblack on the pedal board for gigs.

I do like to compensate a little on some guitars after the machine tuning, more to do with my playing style ( I say style like its classy and effortless...).

I toy with the idea of a Peterson strobe pedal, but at £190 I think I'll manage, I did without any tuner at all for the first 10 years of gigging.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Pedal tuner for me. Sonic Research ST 300.
    Great for standard night time gigs...not so good outside in daylight. ..LED display.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    TU2 on the board or Korg dtr2000 in the rack. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Pedal for live, clip on would get knocked really easily and break. I have the TU-2 and Polytune.

At home I use my trusty Korg TM-40. Its so old its discontinued!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    My bass amp has a built-in tuner. For guitars, I use an old KORG DT-7 - just in case I ever subject one of my guitars to a Buzz Feiten recalibration. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.