The Daily Mail

What's Hot
funhousefunhouse Frets: 123
Excellent article on The Daily Mail in the current edition of the London Review of Books. Couldn't resist sharing this paragraph:

"[Paul] Dacre’s paper is like the drunken lout at a party who can’t get anyone to like him. Suddenly all the girls are sluts and all the men are poofs and he’s swinging at the chandelier before being huckled outside to vomit on the lawn. The Mail desecrates the holy places where it likes to stake its claim, and would be a laughable rag, really, were it not for our degraded political culture taking it seriously. Look at the paper itself and you see it is not the real voice of England, but a dark distortion of it, a post-truth version that shouts about decency but doesn’t exhibit any, that praises aspiration but only certain sorts. Every day in Dacre’s paper, the people who make up the population of Britain, the people who teach your children and bandage your wounds, drive your trains or clean your floors, are described as aliens and forgers and scum. The Mail fought for justice for one black man [Stephen Lawrence], and long may the editor plume on it: the paper he presides over is in no hurry to gain justice for any others. Quite the opposite: the Mail in its present form pictures Britain as a place populated by delinquents and bomb-makers, sexual deviants, spongers, social workers and gay bishops, a dark and fruity manifestation of the editor’s daily fears."

And this rag is informing, if not guiding, government policy. Heaven help us.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Didn't the Daily Mail expose the MPs fiddling their expenses? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 123
    No, that was the Daily Telegraph.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Yup, I wouldn't disagree with that assessment.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    All the more reason to avoid ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Someone else who is fond of hyperbole.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's editorial commentary - there's a difference... and it's grounded in fact. It might be instructive for you to read the full article. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Don't see how it's informing/guiding government policy though. I thought they all read the Morning Star... :)

• WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    I can't see many Tories reading the Morning Star!
    funhouse said:
    That's editorial commentary - there's a difference... and it's grounded in fact. It might be instructive for you to read the full article. 
    Well maybe you need to educate yourself on what hyperbole is, because editorial commentary and hyperbole are not mutually exclusive.

Also if you want people to read the full article, why don't you link it!?
    Because it's a subscription site and I believe that quality journalism should be paid for.

I think it might be worth considering taking up a subscription in your case as it might broaden your outlook.

Are you losing the argument on the other thread perchance, despite your strident use of capital letters?  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    funhouse said:
    Because it's a subscription site and I believe that quality journalism should be paid for.

I think it might be worth considering taking up a subscription in your case as it might broaden your outlook.

Are you losing the argument on the other thread perchance, despite your strident use of capital letters?  ;)
    Which argument? There are a couple going on right now, surprise surprise!

I'm happy to engage with you though. I thrive on debating non-contributing members of our community!
    Drew_TNBD said:
    funhouse said:

I'm happy to engage with you though. I thrive on debating non-contributing members of our community!
    Sorry, did you mean to write "debating with"?

That I contribute to discussions, albeit infrequently, is a fact, not a matter of debate. I take it that your comment is supposed to be a dig?

I just don't believe that I have a great deal to contibute on the technical side - there are many people here who know far more than I do about musical equipment, and their contributions are certainly more valuable than mine would be.

No offence though - like you, I do think its important to listen to other people's views, whether you ultimately agree with them or not and, occasionally, to challenge them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Apparently Stephen Lawrence's dad Neville had done some decorating work in one of Paul Dacre's houses, which represented such an unusual degree of human contact for the reclusive editor that Mail staff refer to it as a "near life experience", and is why the Mail ran their campaign. 
    funhouse said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    funhouse said:

Sorry, did you mean to write "debating with"?

That I contribute to discussions, albeit infrequently, is a fact, not a matter of debate. I take it that your comment is supposed to be a dig?

I just don't believe that I have a great deal to contibute on the technical side - there are many people here who know far more than I do about musical equipment, and their contributions are certainly more valuable than mine would be.

No offence though - like you, I do think its important to listen to other people's views, whether you ultimately agree with them or not and, occasionally, to challenge them.
    LOL. Like the phrase 'use of strident capital letters (wink wink nudge nudge)' wasn't supposed to be a dig!!

Ah well. Enjoy the classifieds matey, I get it. It's a good place to sell gear. As long as you're not hurting anyone.
    Do you have anything sensible to contribute to the topic or do you just want to pick fights with people who challenge your orthodoxy?

Resorting to this kind of behavior is unedifying. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    funhouse said:

I don't recall The Mail doing anything of quality. I don't think it's journalism either, but it's your cash.....

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

funhouse said:
    Do you have anything sensible to contribute to the topic or do you just want to pick fights with people who challenge your orthodoxy?

Resorting to this kind of behavior is unedifying. 
    I thought calling you on your hypocrisy was a sensible contribution tbh.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Another thread descends into fackin' 'andbags. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    If their was no market for it, it would not exist. Unlike the Grauniad it has to actually make money to pay people and survive so it is hardly a surprise its content fits a large demographic. Some people ae too hoity toity ti be seen buying the Sun but don't have the mental capacity for the Telegraph or Times. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom