Amp rattle

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I gigged my 2204 head last weekend and since the gig there is a nice rattle at certain frequencies. I though it was some loose speaker bolts so I tightened them up but the problem remains. Is there an easy way to pinpoint the source?

It also happens on my DSL401 combo - much more noticeably so. It's very frustrating!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Tried the Valves to ensure they are not loose? Does it have a reverb tank?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    JD50 said:
    Tried the Valves to ensure they are not loose? Does it have a reverb tank?
    The valve in V1 on the 2204 does have a bit of movement but it has a spring loaded cap...I would have thought this would suppress any movement?

No reverb on either.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Are both amps doing the same in the same room? it might be something resonating in the room if that's the case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No, separate rooms.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It's most likely valve rattle, normally it's the power valves.

Does the DSL401 not have reverb? Unless you physically remove the tank it can still rattle even with it turned off, although it's much less common than the valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    It's most likely valve rattle, normally it's the power valves.

Does the DSL401 not have reverb? Unless you physically remove the tank it can still rattle even with it turned off, although it's much less common than the valves.
    How can I solve this? I am more concerned about the 2204 as its my live amp. 

I removed the reverb tank from the DSL because it was borked! 

First you need to identify if it's the problem - you need to play through the amp and get it to rattle, and then hold the power valves with an oven glove or a couple of dusters to see if it stops… obviously it can be useful to get help with one part of this :).

If it is, the only solutions are to fit some sort of heat-proof dampers to the valves - or replace them with ones that don't rattle.

If it's *not* the valves, check for any loose nuts and bolts on things like cap clips, loose wires near enough to rattle against the chassis inside, that sort of thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Right I have cured it I, it was the valve cover on V1. I'm assuming its ok to leave it unsheathed?
    Yes, should be. If you can stretch the spring so it's held more firmly it would be better though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Yes, should be. If you can stretch the spring so it's held more firmly it would be better though.
    I'll give that a try, thanks! 
  • Same thing happened to me! Was about to package up a '75 Lead and Bass amplifier I'd sold and prior tested...next minute the speakers were rattling like mad! Took the back off and it turns out a small piece of plastic had gone into the back of the cone! Took it out and it was fine (without any damage to the cones too thank goodness!). I'd suggest just checking if anything has fallen behind the back of the cones...simple as it is, there might be something there!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ...would you rather have amp Rattle or amp Hum?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>