The guitar rant thread

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Another thread prompted me to start this one. A simple thread where we can vent our guitar related pent-up anger (keep it on topic now!)

What pisses me of the most is when guitarists snip the excess strings a country mile away from the actual post. I mean why go though all the rigmarole of restringing, finding the snips and then not trimming them properly. Gah!

Your turn!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I hate it when screws wear, and the tiny crosspoint screwdriver (pickup adjustments) or tiny allen key (bridge adjustments) no longer works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited May 2017
    Guitarists who think that guitar innovation stopped in the 60s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I hate when putting in new pickups and you forget to solder the live from switch to pot.
    Not that I've done this recently........

As for other guitarists, too many pinch harmonics.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    I hate myself for hating the whole guitar system, which I find literally uncanny. I even whinge when I have to change a string. It can be said that my brother has become a rather successful luthier whereas I own up to being an utter brute who needs someone else when there's the tiniest problem. I just try to play.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    dirty grebby strings that are caked in crap - so brittle they will almost snap with a quick bend - assuming you want to touch them anyway

Can I have 3 to pick ? - If so then I'll add

customers who bring in a guitar, either to trade or repair with the nut on the jack socket so loose it rotates

Strings not cut off at all - some often just 'floating' around ready to poke someone in the eye
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    edited May 2017
    I hate would-be guitar purchasers who insist on proffering their tat in part-exchange for my tidy items rather than pay its full price in legal tender.

EDIT: I have experienced one exception to this sweeping generalisation. A guy who was very insistent about acquiring my 1987 Guild X-170 exchanged a 1965 Gibson Melody Maker. That time, I think I won.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i hate when you do a gig and someone comes up looks at your amp guitar pedals shakes his head and walks away!.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    i hate when you do a gig and someone comes up looks at your amp guitar pedals shakes his head and walks away!.

I shall remember and do this at your next gig......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    That often asked 'Do you play lead guitar or rhythm' ?

Or again that often asked 'Is that a lead guitar or a rhythm guitar' ?

That statement 'I've got a Gibson Les Paul' - turns out it is an Epiphone - so just tell me it is an Epiphone then

Or that other statement 'I've got a Fender Strat' - turns out it is a Squier - so just tell me it is a Squier then

The other statement - 'I've got a vintage guitar' (because it is now over 30 years old but it is a 1986 SG, or whatever) - this could be a topic on its own 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    i hate when you do a gig and someone comes up looks at your amp guitar pedals shakes his head and walks away!
    That's probably me.  :3

Seriously, though, does that happen before or after you perform? A lot of people do seem to listen with their eyes. They subscribe to a notion that there should be a correlation between music genre and equipment. (e.g. Explorers and Vees are unacceptable for lounge Jazz.)

I attend live music in the hope of being entertained and, possibly, pleasantly surprised by innovative playing or sonics. If it were me eyeballing the stage equipment, it would be in an attempt to understand why you sound the way that you do. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Vintage radius Fenders and fretting out, and Fender keep making them by the hundred thousands anyway.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    For me it has to be guitarists who can't be bothered to tune their instrument or, even worse, they can't even hear that it's out of tune. Painful :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Just because it's loud doesn't mean it's good.

I SAID "JUST BECAUSE..."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    edited May 2017
    People posting on classified sites 'Fender Squier' stratocaster. All your searches for Fenders include boatloads of Squiers.

Truss Rod nuts being made from softer metal than the allen keys that turn them.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I like the idea, a sort of Guitar Room 101.

Mine would be:

Buskers, all of them pretty much apart from the dude who plays medieval pavanes on the penny whistle in New St, Birmingham. Hate the sound of percussive strummed acoustic guitar at the best of times but even more so with piezo equipped quacky sounding guitars through a Roland Street Cube accompanying a cheesy ironic cover of Rihanna

For something more specifically instrument based, I'd go for people who when playing an electric guitar unplugged still change the pickup selector.

And for something playing related, in "heavier" music for want of a better word, it always seems like it's only a matter of seconds during any rhythm playing that the guitarist will do that awful muted low string percussive note thing and think that it sounds big or bad ass or "heavy man"

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Jimbro66 said:
    For me it has to be guitarists who can't be bothered to tune their instrument or, even worse, they can't even hear that it's out of tune. Painful :s
    Oh god yes, There's a violinist who plays in Birmingham city centre who, if he could hear that his strings are all different amounts out of tune, might actually be alright. But it just shows that the player has clearly only "learnt" the tunes by muscle memory parrot fashion and therefore do not actually learn the real music
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    people who, in band practices, insist on noodling away in between songs when you're trying to talk about stuff.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66

And for something playing related, in "heavier" music for want of a better word, it always seems like it's only a matter of seconds during any rhythm playing that the guitarist will do that awful muted low string percussive note thing and think that it sounds big or bad ass or "heavy man"

Palm .... muting?
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    Floyd rose equipt guitars with the intonation way out of wack or the angle either too high or too low. 

Volume controls too close to the strings. 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

Post a picture of a left handed guitar and the incredibly witty comments...

'It's the wrong way round!' and  'It's back to front!'

Are sure to follow.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom