Helix and tube amp?

What's Hot
NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504

Interested to know what are the experiences of using the helix through a tube amp?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and replacing my pedal board with the helix lt.

I use a Mesa Boogie Mark V:25.

Any drawbacks?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    I love it. Using Helix rack with a victory kraken. Only thing I'm not sold on is the tuner. The rest is amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    It works well - I've used it with my V:25 too.
    Agreed about the tuner too, i find it frustrating. Maybe I've spent too long with Polytunes.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited May 2017
    I use an Axe-Fx through a Marshall 20/20, don't forget the power Amp and cab option either 
  • @sgosden and @simonk What's the issue with the tuner? Is it inaccurate?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    @sgosden and @simonk What's the issue with the tuner? Is it inaccurate?
    there is a massive thread on he Helix forum about the ability or inability of the tuner to tune anything apart from your nerves ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The tuner is usable, Its fine if I'm just noodling at home. I just find my Pitchblack much more stable and accurate, also helix doesn't like the real low tuning on bass.

I just prefer putting a tuner infront of the input, so I can have a loop playing too .

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Using mine with a Fender Princeton Reverb and MJW Roadstar.   Sounds great with both.
    No drawbacks so far, I used my POG occationally but not missing it so far.  There are so many additional options to what I had I'm thinking out what I've gained rather than what I've lost.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    use mine with either a Bogner Shiva or Mesa Stiletto and a Blackstar HT5 - no issues whatsoever.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939

I tried my Helix through a Morgan PR12 and the clean dry sound was different, it was a small difference but noticeable. Enough to really upset me. I A/B'd it with my wife listening and she agreed. It was brighter, harder sounding, something in the transient of the attack of notes was hardened through the Helix losing a softness and some compression.

Obviously not really noticeable with a drive engaged but still bugged the hell out of me. Maybe it's the amp, maybe it was me, but the Helix input and outputs were set to unity with no global EQ and I didn't like it. 

Loved the Helix though and miss it for direct to studio monitor and headphones playing.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    At the moment, using it with the Carr Rambler.

Perfect and no issues. Also, works well with the stereo introduction of the DXR 10.

I mainly use mine as a pedal board 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

Used mine for the first time at a gig last night, it worked well.  I only used a few effects (Timmy, OCD, Trem, spring reverb, delay and flanger), but it just felt great to use.  I did manage to use the pedal edit mode to add delay feedback and used a snapshot to give a big distorted flanged part in a song, something that was logistically difficult before.

Listened back to the gig on the way home, happy with the tone.  I used an MJW Bantam which sounded ace.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I had to google 'tube amp'.
     :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jgmoutonjgmouton Frets: 30
    Careful, the Helix colours the sound.  It is not true bypass.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    jgmouton said:
    It really doesn't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    jgmouton said:
    I hope tongue was firmly in cheek when you typed this.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28133
    Isn't the sound of an electric guitar straight into a PA or set of monitor speakers critically important to rock n roll?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

I tried my Helix through a Morgan PR12 and the clean dry sound was different, it was a small difference but noticeable. Enough to really upset me. I A/B'd it with my wife listening and she agreed. 

You realise that's borderline domestic abuse right?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.

I tried my Helix through a Morgan PR12 and the clean dry sound was different, it was a small difference but noticeable. Enough to really upset me. I A/B'd it with my wife listening and she agreed. 

"yes dear... I can tell the difference, you're completely right" she says convincingly, with her feet up on the sofa, eyes not leaving her book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    sgosden said:

"yes dear... I can tell the difference, you're completely right" she says convincingly, with her feet up on the sofa, eyes not leaving her book.

My wife reads?