Valve vs SS Cat/Pigeons By Chappers and the Captain

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUNz02rPI4Y

Cat amongst the pigeons.  The Mustang GTs now getting a pasting vs the Vox AC10, a controversial model in itself.

Why not Blackstar HT1R vs Boss Katana?  Because the Katana would win by too much...?

They clearly aren't avoiding controversy.  I'm not sure what kind of player they are doing the comparison for, neither would be a first choice serious gigging amp, and why would a bedroom player buy the huge Mustang and not the baby one?

Thoughts?

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Once upon a time, a pair of bellends talked sh*t about nothing.

The end.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Is Chappers pissed up?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    rico said:
    Is Chappers pissed up?
    Possibly, they always talk about going to the pub before they do the videos.

Tough job but someone has to do it...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26578
    Two amps for totally different use cases. The AC10 can't be run at its crunchy best at home volume but isn't much good for gigs (it's barely louder than a snare even when you're ragging the balls off it), while the Mustang isn't really any good for anything but home use.

A much more useful comparison would've been one of the Bassbreaker 15 heads against a Katana 100. Particularly given that they've both already said that they think the Katana is the best of budget modelling amps...which makes me a little suspicious that they'd already drawn a conclusion and wanted to emphasise it by picking the Mustang.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader

Once upon a time, a pair of bellends talked sh*t about nothing.

The end.

If we could stick to the topic at hand rather than opinions of Chappers in this thread that would be great.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Two amps for totally different use cases. The AC10 can't be run at its crunchy best at home volume but isn't much good for gigs (it's barely louder than a snare even when you're ragging the balls off it), while the Mustang isn't really any good for anything but home use.

A much more useful comparison would've been one of the Bassbreaker 15 heads against a Katana 100. Particularly given that they've both already said that they think the Katana is the best of budget modelling amps...which makes me a little suspicious that they'd already drawn a conclusion and wanted to emphasise it by picking the Mustang.
    Have a wisdom - thats exactly why I posted the thread.

Basically, the video seems designed to come up with no conclusion "two mediocre amps, neither is the best of its kind - lets see which is most kind of OK maybe".  Your examples are perfect, compare two of the best of their breed like the Katana and Bassbreaker (the 7-watt is more price comparable, still 100 quid more than the Katana 100).

One of the biggest advantages of something like a Katana is its incredibly low cost for what it is.  Sure a £1000 valve amp is better at decent volume, but if you only ever play at home, save you £800 for something important and buy a Katana!

IMHO, YMMV of course.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Why is the AC10 controversial?
    Why is the AC10 controversial?
    Well neither choice is controversial as such, though given they both say they don't like it, choosing it to represent valve amps seems rather eccentric.

But neither rings true to me, as I said in my first post, I just found the way the video is set up interesting.  Maybe it would be better to compare a small valve amp and a small digital for bedroom (like Ht1/Ht5 or Vox AC4 vs Katana 50) and do a later video for gigging amps.

I'm not sure matching price, as opposed to purpose, necessarily helps the cause.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think a far better comparison would be a Vox AV30 and an AC4, both Vox, both fully Analogue and both similar prices.