NBD: NOS Squier V.M. Precision Bass, C.A.R.

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
Originally a customer order that was never collected, this instrument has languished at the back of my nearest Fender dealership in its cardboard box for a few years. BNIB, it just cost me the sort of money that unmolested pre-owned examples now fetch.

In my opinion, a white/black/white pickguard would look infinitely better against Candy Apple Red than the stock B/W/B. I envisage replacing the Gotoh 201B lookalike bridge with the genuine article. Parts drawer pickup options available to me include EMG GZR, SD/Basslines Pro Active or the ol' Seymour Duncan Active EQ "switch" pickups. 

I do not usually care very much for PJ pickup pairings. This instrument will be an exception. The extra pickup would be especially useful if I ever bought a fretless Squire VM P and swapped the necks over. 

No pics until;
a) I have finished modifying
b) I sort out a photo hosting account.
Be seeing you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Went with the EMG GZR pickups. Standard solderless VVT control layout.

Thoughts of adding a dual concentric treble 'n' bass active EQ have been thwarted by the intrusion of the barrel jack socket into the same bit of the control cavity where the PCB portion of an EMG-BTC or Duncan STC-2C-BO needs to go if it is to fit neatly.
    Be seeing you.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    Photos damn you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    Be seeing you.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Looks cool, what do you think of those GZRs?
    I love the P pickup. It does what Geezer said he wanted in the EMG promotional video. I rarely use a plectrum on bass. If I use a hint of index finger nail, that classic Rock bass sound is right there. It records beautifully.

The J pickup is a well chosen balance for the P. In a blend, it is not completely swamped. On its own, it is pleasantly wiry. 

What the GZR combination fails to do is the classic passive J Bass honk. (Not that I ever expected it to.) P on full, J on 90% has a useful hollowness to it. Just not the full-on Marcus Miller slap thang.

As mentioned in the opening post, there is insufficient space in the control cavity for a stacked knob dual concentric active EQ. Turns out that there was no pressing need for onboard EQ. The traditional passive voicings are fine. 

I hated the minty green scratchplate when it was on my Seminole Red AVRI '63. On the Squier, it looks fine.
    Be seeing you.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Cool, I have liked a lot of the clips I've heard of the P pickup.  It does seem really well voiced for rock stuff.