200th & Final Chord Of The Week 3/6/17 - a Dmadd9addb9(no5th) by viz - the 'Hive' chord

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
When theFretboard was being set up in the summer of 2013, we asked TTony on the TempFab forum what we could do to help and his answer was, provide content that will give other guitarists a reason to join and participate. So on Saturday 3rd August 2013, the launch date of this forum, I posted my first Chord Of The Week, a discussion of different ways to play a Dminor chord. By the end of that week we had listed 77 different voicings :-) The other 199 Chord Of The Week discussions are all indexed, link to the index in the post below this one.

Now for the 200th and final edition of Chord Of The Week I'll hand you over to @viz, who also found the C7no3rdno5th/Bb  Chewbacca chord I used for the 100th edition. This chord is one of his own devising, which he suggested when we were plotting what we could do for the April Fool chord this year (for that I went with a D7#5addnat7add11(noRoot) which doesn't occur in I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones). The Hive chord consists of 4 consecutive semitones arranged to make use of the open E, and its original incarnation as viz first suggested it is:

Dmadd9addb9(no5th): x x 12 8 6 0

to be played over-the-neck style - watch viz's video at the bottom of this post!
As the lowest note in the chord is a D x x 12 x x x, this is some form of D chord. The other notes are
Eb xxx8xx
F xxxx6x
E xxxxx0 
Because the chord contains the F minor 3rd of D but doesn't contain the F# major 3rd, this is a form of Dminor chord rather than D major. As the A note, the 5th of a Dm chord, is missing I have notated the chord as a Dm(no5th). Then the E and Eb are 9th and flat 9th extensions of the Dm chord, so the overall nomenclature for this type of chord is madd9addb9(no5th)

viz also demonstrates 2 variations on this chord on the video, moving the root note up a semitone each time and continuing to make use of the open E xxxxx0. These two chords are:

Ebmadd9addb9(no5th): x x 13 10 7 0
Emadd9addb9(no5th): x x 15 11 8 0

Conceptually viz has also worked out that there exists a Hive chord in C#m, but he said his fingers couldn't stretch enough to play it on the video!

C#madd9addb9(no5th) x x 11 7 4 0

Thanks to viz for the chord and the youtube demo, and to everyone for their contributions to Chord Of The Week over the last 4 years.

You can see viz demoing this chord at 0:26 in this video

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments