What cheap drill for guitar work?

What's Hot
Never owned one before but have a few holes to make in my guitars for all sorts of things like backplates, pickguards, pickup rings, etc. Something cheap, cordless and idiot-proof.

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28023
    Depends a bit on what you mean by cheap. I have the previous version of this and it's superb - light, enough power and the chuck will take a 13mm bit.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gsr-10-8-2-li-cordless-drill-driver-li-ion-in-l-boxx-10-8v-2-0ah-503774

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6098
    edited June 2017
    I can recommend Screwfix's own brand.
    I've got one and it's bloody excellent!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-eri744com-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/9284t
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    I am going to suggest An actual cheap one
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4556677

I have one in my guitar assembly tool kit.  

It's a nice light weight and holds its charge well.

i put a shed together with it a few months back too

carlos said:
    The Bosch is measured differently - by the same standards it's a 12v. The B&D is lower torque (though probably enough for most jobs), and I couldn't see any mention of battery capacity.

I think it's worth spending a bit more on something that'll just keep going - I've had my Bosch for at least 8 years now. Metal gears help with longevity.

If you're only going to have one then I'd go 10.8 or 12v - lower won't have enough power, higher will be unwieldy. And two batteries.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    If it's just for tiny holes I like a tea & biscuit powered hand drill, dirt cheap and easy to control, always powered up too. Or an Archimedes drill even cheaper and no chance of breaking tiny drillbits. But I may be a luddite/cheapskate and a batt drill like ^ will be more usable for other stuff.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    Depends a bit on what you mean by cheap. I have the previous version of this and it's superb - light, enough power and the chuck will take a 13mm bit.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gsr-10-8-2-li-cordless-drill-driver-li-ion-in-l-boxx-10-8v-2-0ah-503774

That is a great drill - it's what we use all day long here at Feline - we have 3 or 4 of them.
    If I had to replace them I'd buy the same again

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Thanks for all the tips!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Not sure about the Facebook like you get with each hole drilled though....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017
    Sporky said:

That is a great drill - it's what we use all day long here at Feline - we have 3 or 4 of them.
    If I had to replace them I'd buy the same again
    I'm really tempted to get the new 12v flexi system - fully compatible with the old 10.8v stuff, and I have the 18v one already. Really handy stuff..

http://cdn.axminster.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/0/103608_xl.jpg

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    When I started doing up my house U had to buy a load of tools. All of the Bosch is still running. The B&D stuff burnt out. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Mains powered is usually cheaper than battery. Unless you intend to work at the edge of the earth....., battery is good but mains better. IMHO of course.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

The B&D spec is given further down -1.5Ah battery, max torque is 12.5/26 Nm, which implies two gear settings but I don't see a switch for changing the gearing.

I got a Parkside branded one from, I think, Lidl, and it's been fine. 16V, 2Ah, two gears, 30 quid. I wanted something lighter than my big cordless which is a bit too hefty for one-handed use or more precise work with small drill bits. The little Parkside is fine one-handed for DIY stuff like driving screws (surprising amount of torque), and I found it much more manageable for small jobs - keyless chuck, so it's fine to put a steadying hand around the chuck while drilling at lower rotation speeds. Also has a row of LEDs on the side that light up to show the state of battery charge.

Having said that, I'm with Corvus on the Mk1 cordless, especially for small stuff where it's easy to keep the balance between speed and torque. I got a little Archimedes pin vice thing a while back, but haven't used it yet, and I have a set of conventional  pin vices which have been handy for really small holes (say, 1mm or less) in materials like wood and plastic. The Archimedes thing is more suited to applying higher rotation speeds than can be done with a normal pin vice, which somewhat implies harder materials, and I haven't had a need to hand-drill anything like that yet that I can't get onto my little milling machine.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

Rocker said:
    Mains powered is usually cheaper than battery. Unless you intend to work at the edge of the earth....., battery is good but mains better. IMHO of course.
    Mains powered is also generally bigger and more unwieldy. For guitar work you don't need that sort of grunt and the trailing cable gets in the way.

I have the 10.8v Bosch, a 9.6v Hitachi (hex bits only), a teeny 3.6v B&D (hex bits only again), an 18v Bosch, a 21v Panasonic and a few mains drills; the mains ones don't get any use. They're more faff, heavier and no more powerful than the bigger cordlesses.

Actually, the 18v Bosch, with the SDS+ head on it, is better at going through the ultra-hard brick of my house than the big mains SDS+ drill I have, and far easier to work with.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Mains powered drills also tend to be noisier. For prolonged use, I'm much more likely to reach for the ear defenders with a mains one than I am with a cordless.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited June 2017
    While I'm also a great fan of Bosch, I got one of these on offer for about £35 in the 'old' homebase, fully expecting it to be poor.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WX128-2-0Ah-Lithium-Ion-Driver/dp/B010LVO7GU/ref=sr_1_3?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1497168484&sr=1-3&keywords=worx+drill

Usability-wise, it's lightness made it my go to drill for my guitar builds and mods and so, convinced that it would fall to bits, or burn out, or the battery would lose charge over time, I bought another one.  Which hasn't been taken out of its box yet...four years and many builds later.

I really didn't expect that!
    For hobby use I'd think pretty much anything will be fine.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    When the rechargeable batteries fail, as they always do sooner or later, replacements cost nearly as much as a new drill (the same model). More working stuff going to the recycling centre which is a shame. Mains drills, just plug them in! Noisy? What the hell are you doing to your guitar that the noise of a drill becomes an issue? Usually only a whiz whiz when drilling a pilot hole is all that is heard....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    When the rechargeable batteries fail, as they always do sooner or later, replacements cost nearly as much as a new drill (the same model).
    Yes. The batteries are the expensive bit. Use and charge them correctly and you'll get years and years of use out of them.

Perhaps you could post a link to a mains drill comparable in size, weight and power to the 10.8v Bosch?
    Sorry to interrupt your geeking out over drills, but I bought the Guild as recomended by @WezV and it did the job wonderfully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom