Ovation guitars, any love here?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
The only guitar I currently own that I purchased new is an Acoustic Applause in Ruby Red. I played a bunch of starters and this one just felt great.
Strums and finger picks well, lead lines and bends all sound sweet. Stays in tune superbly and has nice dynamic range without going to mush.
Admittedly, not a complex tone but covers all the basics beautifully. 

The company has had a difficult past few years, not sure where they are heading. 

Anyone else have a thing for these unusual acoustics? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    My friend had an acoustic Ovation that sounded amazing. Don't know which model, it was quite old but it sounded so good it stuck in my mind. Wasn't an electro-acoustic.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Never heard an Ovation acoustic that sounded right tbh, especially the ones with lyrachord backs. They just sound thin, flat and processed. I know there are guitar pros that think they're brilliant though: Robert Fripp and Al Dimeola were both fans, so what do I know. A guy I knew had a top end lyrachord model and it had the best neck I've ever played... shame the tone of the thing was so bad. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I've got an old one from the early 80s that I love.     It's not a great acoustic sound but I the deeper body works better than some of the thinner ones I've tried.    
    The neck is super comfy!
    Like most of the old one mine has the cracks splits appearing in the top so it's a house guitar these days.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I had an early 80s Balladeer - without onboard electrics - it sounded pretty good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    The old deep-bowl purely acoustic ones sound surprisingly good - the integrated bridge saddle/pickup on the electric ones was a total tone-killer. They don't sound like a traditional wooden acoustic, but they have a much fuller and more natural tone than you'd ever expect if you've only played the electro-acoustic ones.

They still have the problem of the rounded body slipping down while you're playing though, even with that 'grip' area on the body and the strap button being under the neck to try to pull it back upright.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Ray Davies played one for long enough.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Melissa Etheridge has been playing one since the mid/late 80s and she gets great sounds from them
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I can't get on with roundback guitars, played a couple but they just feel awkward.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 984
    boogieman said:
    Never heard an Ovation acoustic that sounded right tbh, especially the ones with lyrachord backs. They just sound thin, flat and processed. I know there are guitar pros that think they're brilliant though: Robert Fripp and Al Dimeola were both fans, so what do I know. A guy I knew had a top end lyrachord model and it had the best neck I've ever played... shame the tone of the thing was so bad. 
    What he said!

They usually feel wonderful but sound, well, it's neither an acoustic, nor an electric; merely a "thing".
  • Yes I really do like them even though they're supposedly not a 'real' acoustic guitar! My favourite Ovation is a 1994 limited edition model with a fairly shallow bowl which is my first 'go to' acoustic.

I recently did a 'shoot out' with all of my acoustic guitars in one room & my wife was listening to each one of them in turn (this included 2 high end Taylors & a couple of my old Gibson acoustics from the 60's).

Guess which one she reckoned sounded the best after listening to all of them? Yes the 1994 Ovation!!

It has a tight focused sound but also is evenly balanced across all of the strings which is what I like about this guitar plus I find it fairly comfortable to play because of the shallow body.

I also have a deep bowl Legend model which is 'fugly' in appearance with an awful irridescent sunburst top but it's a keeper because of the sound - that one sits on a stand in the living room for noodling, song-writing etc.

I agree that most of them sound 'dead & flat' because of their inherent design compared to any other acoustic guitar made with good quality solid woods but there are some gems out there if you get lucky & find a 'good one'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've a Balladeer that I bought second-hand in the 80's that's got a lower action than some of my electrics. I occasionally try to find a "better" acoustic but I've yet to find one that sounds or plays nicer.
  • I've had three....a Legend, a Custom Legend and a 1997 Collectors Edition....all pretty good...easy to play and suit electric players who don't want the shock of a Martin etc.....nowadays they all seem to be suffering from cracks in the lacquer on the soundboard, not serious but can be unsightly...at the right price they a good guitar and the Custom Legend especially looks the business on stage...if image is important...
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    I have played a few. One of which belonged to a friend, and was one of the nicest acoustics that I have played. It was I think one of the most expensive in their range. Nice acoustically, even better plugged in. Well setup, and easy to play. 

I have played another one belonging to a different friend, and it was without doubt the worst guitar I have ever played. Complete opposite to above. Awful awful. Complete dog. I assume it was the budget version. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Saw this thread the other day and strangely enough I was having a look round a local antiques emporium today. The place is a huge warehouse with dozens of separately owned stalls (none of them are attended) and normally there is nothing guitar related. Hanging on the wall in one of the stalls was an Ovation legend 1117. Serial number related to 1979. There was no one about and I sat and had a play and the thing played really nice apart from the old strings which were completely dead. Condition was good apart from dings in the back of the neck but no cracks in the top which seems to be a common problem. The price on the ticket was £795 which I think is way too steep. Maybe half that and I could have been tempted. The way the place is run I could probably have walked out with it under my coat! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    ronnyb said:

Condition was good apart from dings in the back of the neck but no cracks in the top which seems to be a common problem. The price on the ticket was £795 which I think is way too steep.
    It's not the tops which crack, it's the finish. They used a very hard polyester lacquer - which is also why they don't have pickguards, they don't need them - but when the wood moves with climate changes over the years it tends to crack.

£795 is too high, but not wildly so if it was in nice condition. The last one we sold in the shop went for £699 I think - that was a really nice guitar and in very good condition with case. I'm not sure I would pay that much from an 'antiques' junk emporium though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

There was a hard case with it but not original. Personally I think they look really well made and classy but they are definitely marmite. Think i'll go back tomorrow in my 3 sizes too big coat.
  • I wouldn't pay more than £450 for a Legend...
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited July 2017
    Used to have one I bought in the 80s. I traded it in about 15 years ago in part payment for a led Paul. Probably should have kept it for sentimental reasons but I'm trying not to being so soft lol. Agree with above about it slipping down though and not very comfortable with a strap either. A guitar of its time I feel
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I have 3, my original, which was the Rose Morris rep's guitar that I bought in 1976, A Celebrity 12 string that I got in the 90's and I just got a twin neck 6 & 12.  My original is one of the best recording acoustics I have heard, it's really evenly balanced (but you have to use the right strings, it needs silk & bronze - John Pearse makes them, as does Martin).  It is a deepback with no electrics.  It has lots of lacquer cracks and one has split the wood a bit, but it still sounds great.  I got the other two for the electric sound of them (and because the twin neck was a great price).  I have Martin, Gibson, Washburn, Yamaha and other acoustics, but still love the 76 Ovation.