Mac content - does this seem like a good deal?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162543074695

Got given an old imac that isnt upto much, so going to spend out instead of being a cheapskate. 

Will be running - 
Helix editor / updates 
Basic recording - likely reaper / superior drummer / a few plugins 
Photoshop (for the missus i have no clue on specs but wont be proffesional grade) 

From what Ive read specs should be capable. However I'm fairly in the dark on prices! 

Any advice welcome :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    11" ? 

You'll get cramped shoulders hunched over it - or will you use external keyboard and screen?

You'll definitely need to be using an external screen to get anything productive done in a DAW or Photoshop.
    Red ones are better. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    The only things you can realistically do are stick a big ssd in and max out the RAM. Would definitely recommend an external monitor and a keyboard and mouse. 

The limiting factor will be the graphics card. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    It's an Air - you can't upgrade the RAM on them, as it's soldered to the mobo., You could put a larger SSD in.

You'd be better off with more RAM - ie 16GB.

R.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Yeah Id have external screen/keyboard/mouse.

Im not sure Id be running it to its potential, but be good to have space to expand.
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    Loads of good refurbished Macbook Pro deals on Groupon.  Sign up.  

I bought a 13" MBP new from Apple the other year.  I record, mix and master at home with an external display which is fine but given the opportunity again, I'd spend the extra couple of hundred on a 15" for the times when I'm away from my desk.

Also watch out for the connectivity on the new MBPs as the Retina ones don't have USBs etc.  You can connect through a proprietary adapter, but it might be a pain in the ass for some people.  

Maximise your RAM.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    2  other options, Mac Mini or an old Mac Pro Tower, these can both be picked up for peanuts, especially if you are going to use a Monitor and keyboard. The best macbook Pro to go for imho is the 2015 model, more ports than the new model and no silly OLED strip
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Loads of good refurbished Macbook Pro deals on Groupon.  Sign up.  

I'll give that a go

sweepy said:
    2  other options, Mac Mini or an old Mac Pro Tower, these can both be picked up for peanuts, especially if you are going to use a Monitor and keyboard. The best macbook Pro to go for imho is the 2015 model, more ports than the new model and no silly OLED strip

I have toyed with the idea, but I'd also like to be able to take it do rehearsal space to record some raw tracks form bassist & maybe even vocals, then work with them at home.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Mac Mini and presonus Capture.. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview