Crazy behind the nut bends and contrary motion tricks

What's Hot
I've been playing fixed bridge guitars since virtually day 1 of my playing life. I've always felt a connection to the tele and done what needed to be done to make it "special", taking all those Jerry Donahue and Jim Campilongo things.

The behind the nut bend is a staple of any flashy tele bend, especially if you're holding other notes doing it. Just recently though I realised I could do these all on my Vigiers, which is fantastic for a modern player (I could certainly never do this on an Ibanez!). If youc an do this on your axe, it's worth a go!

I also do a cool Jerry Donahue lick in this one when I bend the D up a semitone, then the G up a tone, catch the B and bend it up and I release the D and G - that's a REAL tricky one!!!

Support me on Youtube or Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/leviclay    |    https://www.youtube.com/c/leviclay
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    That scale at the end is awse! Nice one. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    My mate did this to one of my guitars and knackered the nut groove on my g string :( 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • My mate did this to one of my guitars and knackered the nut groove on my g string :( 
    What was the nut made out of? Butter? haha

I tease lol

Yeah, you need to make sure you're set up with gear for the job, but eventually, you're going to get wear anyway just as with fret wire (though a nut is much easier to replace than frets! haha)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    (I could certainly never do this on an Ibanez!)

Surely that would have worked on your PGM400? You'd get more upward travel that way than with the whammy.

I've been all over this technique from day one because the bloke who's shop sold me my first electric did it when he demoed the guitar for me, and I thought it looked and sounded awesome.

• DLM said:
    (I could certainly never do this on an Ibanez!)

Surely that would have worked on your PGM400? You'd get more upward travel that way than with the whammy.

I've been all over this technique from day one because the bloke who's shop sold me my first electric did it when he demoed the guitar for me, and I thought it looked and sounded awesome.

ughhh I miss that guitar

IIRC it still only had a tiny distance between the strings behind the nut and the truss cover - I'd bet you'd struggle to get a semitone

TBH though, I didn't know what a behind the nut bend was when I had that axe

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/kent912/A9luvu085.jpg
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'll have to watch that, I can't say I'm good at them but I do like a behind the nut bend and JC is a bit of a hero to me, although I think I first heard them done by Rory Gallagher ( maybe Tony Iommi as well?). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    Impressive.  It would be really impressive if he played those behind the nut bends in a real song....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Ah, I see. With the back-angled headstock on the PGM there's not much space to push down. You'd need a Timmons or a Satriani 600 or something.

@EricTheWeary Wis'd. Iron Man intro.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33792
    Rocker said:
    Impressive.  It would be really impressive if he played those behind the nut bends in a real song....
    You mean like Jim Campilongo does? :)

octatonic said:
    Rocker said:
    You mean like Jim Campilongo does?

The main riff in Monkey in a Movie uses twisting the machinehead which I don't think I've ever seen used by anyone else other than just as noise. 

Jim, Rory Gallagher, Tony Iommi ( as noted above Iron Man wouldn't be the same without behind the nut bends), Jerry Donahue, John 5 and plenty of country guitarists use them - you're not necessarily aware that's what you are hearing. 

They're slipped in here for example ( it's a fairly recognisable song/ instrumental), not a great version of JC doing this on YouTube but this guy does an excellent version:

Sorry, answering my own point here - no behind the nut bends but more tuner tweaking. Plus any excuse for some Junior Brown. 
    edited July 2017
    octatonic said:
    Rocker said:

The main riff in Monkey in a Movie uses twisting the machinehead which I don't think I've ever seen used by anyone else other than just as noise. 

Yes but Jim also bends behind the nut at various points in the song as well.
    I know this because I transcribed it.
    I also have a copy of Jim's notation on this song- he has a really weird way of doing it- it is a combination of chord charts and tab in one.
    It is actually harder to figure out than reading dots.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    I've always found these techniques incredibly impressive, ever since I saw Jerry Donahue do it on the Equinox guitar special (the one with Frank Dunnery showing off his ridiculous alien hands too). Thing is, I find the behind-the-nut bends to be ridiculously painful on my finger tips...no idea why...so I just stick to my boring, conventional bends ;)
    <space for hire>
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Rocker said:

I also have a copy of Jim's notation on this song- he has a really weird way of doing it- it is a combination of chord charts and tab in one.
    He uses them a lot! He also uses tone swells a lot which is something I don't think many other people do. I think a lot of this stuff comes from Roy Buchanan but Jim knows about jazz and punk and Hendrix and reggae. He's a great interviewee if nothing else. He used to do a techniques column in Guitar Player many, many years ago which I remember reading and having no idea what he was on about! 

This is is a terrible quality video but he's using behind the nut bends and tone swells ( that wahhh thing) on this:

octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Rocker said:

He uses them a lot! He also uses tone swells a lot which is something I don't think many other people do. I think a lot of this stuff comes from Roy Buchanan but Jim knows about jazz and punk and Hendrix and reggae. He's a great interviewee if nothing else. He used to do a techniques column in Guitar Player many, many years ago which I remember reading and having no idea what he was on about! 

This is is a terrible quality video but he's using behind the nut bends and tone swells ( that wahhh thing) on this:

Yeah he clearly studied Roy as well as Danny Gatton.
    Jim is probably my favourite modern guitar player- he has such an advanced level of technique but his style is still very much rooted in playing the song, rather than showing the technique.
    He's a monster player.
  • Man... the first time I saw Jim live... I couldn't believe what I was seeing - such a unique voice, but with nods to some of the greats