Invoices

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
edited June 2017 in Live
Just wanted to ask how you guys deal with getting paid at venues. I ask because sometimes I get asked to invoice. Do you guys set up a band account and submit tax returns each year? I'm not talking about bands that go out as a business but small local pub bands like us who do the occasional private gig. 
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Sounds like a lot of invoicing. We do some agency work - I invoice them on behalf of the band and supply my personal bank details, then divvy it up once it's been paid.
    I've not had a pub/club ask me to invoice them yet... they normally just ask me to sign something on the night, then hand over the readies.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Sign something yes but this pub wanted to include on the paper band name, contact number, address and all. Which means that who ever signs it is traceable for tax etc.  FFS it's supposed to be for fun :(
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28028
    If you're not paying tax on it you're asking for a brutal reaming from HMRC.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Of course but when one does a real cheapo pub gig and all the effort that goes into it one would think a cash payment would be ok on occasions. Just going to have to increase the band fee to accommodate the tax part that's all . Just a bit pointless it seems sometimes as the charge just gets knocked on  
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    Yup, a local 'pub and beer festival' band just got a beat-down from HMRC for not declaring income.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

RiftAmps said:
    Sporky said:
    Yup, a local 'pub and beer festival' band just got a beat-down from HMRC for not declaring income.
    Lucky we haven't been busy this year then apart from a few freeo gigs . Gonna make sure I'll be putting any paid gigs on my self assessment form I get in the future. My share of it anyway 
    I wonder how the HMRC work it out though if there are no invoices or receipts? Or is it a fine ?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    Sporky said:
    A lot of us can demonstrate that our band costs are greater than our income from music. Rehearsal room costs, travel to rehearsals and gigs, and a proportion of equipment and consumables, exceed my band income.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Sporky said:
    A lot of us can demonstrate that our band costs are greater than our income from music. Rehearsal room costs, travel to rehearsals and gigs, and a proportion of equipment and consumables, exceed my band income.
    lol ain't that true. I don't even want to think about what I've actually spent :(
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    I think it's a fine.

In this case, the bass player was issuing an invoice in order to get paid, but then didn't declare the income. They were quite unlucky as the pub that was hiring them (on a regular basis) was under audit, the inspectors just followed the money and said "why haven't you declared the £3500ish in gig fees?".
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    I think it's a fine.

In this case, the bass player was issuing an invoice in order to get paid, but then didn't declare the income. They were quite unlucky as the pub that was hiring them (on a regular basis) was under audit, the inspectors just followed the money and said "why haven't you declared the £3500ish in gig fees?".
    Ouch :( I can just see the discussion in the rehearsal room asking for everyone to chip in to pay that

Roland said:
    Sporky said:
    That's a fair point - I should have said "doing the tax" or similar. But you do need to be able to prove  it.
    I keep all my receipts. Just a habit I've always kept up thankfully 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Sporky said:
    Of course but when one does a real cheapo pub gig and all the effort that goes into it one would think a cash payment would be ok on occasions. Just going to have to increase the band fee to accommodate the tax part that's all . Just a bit pointless it seems sometimes as the charge just gets knocked on  
    It's not hard to start up a "business" as a sole trader musician. If you're a four-piece, you get 25% of all the bands income as your personal income to your "business". Then, as expenses, you claim for mileage travelling to gigs and rehearsals, for supplies that need replacing such as strings, to buy the equipment you need in the first place to do this thing, etc., etc.  It won't be hard to make a loss that means you don't have any extra tax to pay. 
    Sporky said:
    It's not hard to start up a "business" as a sole trader musician. If you're a four-piece, you get 25% of all the bands income as your personal income to your "business". Then, as expenses, you claim for mileage travelling to gigs and rehearsals, for supplies that need replacing such as strings, to buy the equipment you need in the first place to do this thing, etc., etc.  It won't be hard to make a loss that means you don't have any extra tax to pay. 
    I could be wrong but you could only do this for 5 years. After that the HMRC writes the company off. Is this correct ?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited June 2017
    I asked HMRC about this for my band, and when they heard the ballpark numbers they told me not to bother declaring it. That was poorly / barely paid originals though, 3500 would have been 10 years work, and before expenses at that!

Maybe things are different now though, that was a few years back.
    I asked HMRC about this for my band, and when they heard the ballpark numbers they told me not to bother declaring it. That was poorly / barely paid originals though, 3500 would have been 10 years work, and before expenses at that!

Maybe things are different now though, that was a few years back.
    Not that different, that's all we would get if we got paid in my area :( Its the private gigs we want which are also pretty few of them we see. Pub gigs we think of as a loss lead. We're doing something wrong :(
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Roland said:
    Sporky said:
    Absolutely! I declare everything... it can be a bit of a ball ache recording mileages and stuff but it all helps towards proving, certainly in my case, that I make a sizeable loss.
    As my accountant once said after going over monkeyFX - "If you can find a tool or book costing you about £40 in the next couple of weeks then your hobby has cost you nothing this year. I am sure we can continue on a similar basis for the foreseeable future."

I have a lot of receipts for the new workshop, so that'll cover (at current rates) any sales by monkeyFX Guitars until the heat-death of the universe.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 230
    I keep a note of all my gigs and how much i earned. I then make sure i spend more than that on the kit i need every year. I was told that its fine as long as its a paying hobby.