Help recording acoustic

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited June 2017 in Studio & Recording
I've been able to get some decent recordings both using the pick up, via the amp and into the computer using usb, and I've done some recordings just using a mic. What I'm really after is advice on firstly how to record both simultaneously, and then on blending them to get the nicest mix of the two sounds. 

Up until recently I've only been using audacity but I'm looking to get a decent daw and have now installed Reaper and am about to start using that once I've got to grips with the interface. 

Can I record two tracks from two different devices on that? How would people recommend not polluting the mic signal with amp noise? Should I just turn the speaker off or use headphones? 

Any tips for a noob welcome

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    My recommendation would be to not  use the pickup for acoustic sounds unless you particularly want THAT particular sound. I certainly wouldn't run it into an amp. DI the pickup if you want, but I would go for using that and at least one mic. Personally I would just use two mics if you have them.

This of course means using an audio interface with more than one input. You can record as many tracks at one time as your computer can handle, basically, but getting two different sounds recorded depends entirely on how many inputs your interface provides. For example, a basic interface might allow you to record two input sources at once (eg guitar and mic) whereas more complex ones can give you many more inputs.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I don't have an interface except my vocal processor so that's out. I kinda like the combined sound, for certain styles I think it works well. 

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    If you want to get further into recording I'd suggest getting hold of an audio interface. They don't have to be too expensive. If your computer has firewire connections there are some very good bargains out there (FWIW I still use firewire interfaces and there is absolutely no problem). Otherwise look at ones that are USB2 or upwards.

If you really want the acoustic into amp sound you'll not get it completely separate from a mic'd signal unless you isolate the amp. Or else DI the output and find a similar setting on some sort of amp sim within your DAW.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I don't have an interface except my vocal processor so that's out. I kinda like the combined sound, for certain styles I think it works well. 
    I have done this in Cubase but I can't see why the same approach won't work in any DAW. You'll need an interface with two inputs one of which needs to be able to take a mic. Plug your guitar's pickup into one and the mic into another. Open your DAW and add two tracks. Route the mic to one track and the guitar to another .. do a test recording to get the levels balanced and then record. You'll end up with two tracks of acoustic guitar .. mix as required.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    My General recording process for acoustics  ( rhythm stuff ) are to record a Di signal , then double it, pan  left and right, probably then do another take with a capo, 

Then Mic it, and record again, if you have 2 then great , usually around soundhole and 12 th fret.

Mix to suit !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Hadn't thought of doubling or recording over with a capo. Thanks for that, I'll give it a try

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    2 Acoustic takes panned L/R.....plus a few twiddly bits ! 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview