Visiting Brook Guitars

What's Hot
Not so long ago, the Other Half went in for a planned hospital stay in London, so I was 'encouraged' (trans: virtually bullied!) into fucking off for a few days on my own for some respite.

So I booked myself into a pub in Exeter and went down to pay a visit to Brook Guitars in Devon. I've always wanted to go and see them, and I wasn't disappointed.

Not only was it in a ridiculously remote area (my Volvo only just fit down the lanes, and overall I met more people on horses than in cars on the way there), but it was in an unutterably lovely location. And two of them get there on motorbikes! Top men.

They were all lovely guys and showed me round, telling me about all the processes they go through, the woods and how they look after them, where they get them from, how they work them and dry them and were just terrific. The workshop was a dream, too.

On top of that, I'd foolishly/courageously (delete as appropriate) taken my Martin O'Neill down to ask them why it sounds like I'm playing it through a sock. Not only did they not laugh in my face (they probably pissed themselves afterwards, mind), they were really complimentary.

"What you on about? This is all right. Just needs a bit o' sanding here and there to get it smoother, maybe a bit of filler at the neck bout. You've done all right."

"Where'd you make it?"

My garage.

"Fookin ell, mate you're a braver man than me, I wouldn't even consider that."

Then they gave the nut a recut, adjusted the truss rod for me and gave me some advice on redoing the saddle - it seems that's the problem with the sound. Apparently, if I filed it down with even the slightest arc on the bottom side, then air will get trapped between the saddle and the soundboard, deadening the response. So all I have to do is get myself a new nut and make sure it's properly flat at the bottom.

I was amazed. I genuinely thought they'd giggle themselves sick.

Anyway, lovely people who work in a lovely place making lovely guitars that sound absolutely fantastic and are a joy to play.

I had a great time. :)
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    Aren't they lovely people? I went last week and got my Taw looked at.

So, be honest, which one of the guitars on sale was your favourite? Mine was the 12 fret Tavy with a cutaway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aren't they lovely people? I went last week and got my Taw looked at.

So, be honest, which one of the guitars on sale was your favourite? Mine was the 12 fret Tavy with a cutaway.
    Honestly? I don't know what it was called, but it had a cutaway, was about the size of a Tamar, I think, but was thinner. It was just gorgeous to play. It was so good, in fact, that after plucking up the courage to play something, one of them said "Ooh, that was lovely, what was that?"

I nearly fell off the chair!
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    The Martin O'Neill?  Is that the one you made from a kit?

I remember you brought it to a Gas-fest when it was nearly finished, possibly one in Middlesbrough.  It still needed some work on the neck, but was playable.  If so, I'm pleased to hear that you finished it, and that you still have it!
  • @Nitefly ;Yep, that's the one. It's still not finished, to be honest, but I've been tinkering with over and over again in an attempt to get it properly playable and acceptable. I've got the edges a lot smoother and leveled out a lot of the bumps and lumps, it's a lot more playable than it was, but it's still not quite there yet.

Oh, and it was a Gasfest in Bristol, in 2009, I think it was. I particularly remember because that's where I met Neil Xlr8, late of this parish, who used to make Morgan guitars.

I told the Brook guys the story of that show. I basically took it down to show to Neil and ask him if he had any ideas on how I could improve the finish. Anyway, he gave it a look over and I could tell he was desperately thinking of something positive to say, and to not shoot me down in flames by saying how shite it was. Instead he said "Can I give you some advice?"

Sure.

"Don't cut corners."

Fair enough. But the reason I asked your advice is this - am I still cutting corners if I don't know I'm cutting them?

"How do you mean?'

Well I've never done anything this complex before. The most complex piece of workmanship I've ever done is bodge a bookcase together when I first got married cos we couldn't afford to buy one.

"Ah. Right. So why did you try this then?"

Well I've had a hankering for having a go ever since I found out years ago that Martin do kits. Then when the internet came, the temptation became almost unbearable, but I knew I'd cock it up if I just piled in. Then I saw what you were doing with your guitars and I thought, well he's particularly good, but he's an airline pilot, so it's not like he has any special skills, so I thought sod it, I'm having a go.

"Ah. Right. So, erm, you, um, obviously missed the bit where I said I'd been a master cabinetmaker for 15 years before I became a pilot then."

The Brook guys absolutely pissed themselves.

Hey ho. One lives. One, hopefully, learns. One doesn't, very often. Or at least, not quite as often as one would like to think. :-S :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Haha, good story Dennis!  

You're right, it was Bristol.  I remember Tom Ross winning the Morgan Junior that XLR8 generously donated as a raffle prize...

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    I desperately want a Brook Guitar, as much because I love the nature of the company as much as anything else. That being said, the two brook guitars I've played have really bowled me over.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I had a Brook for a couple of years, but found that the shallow neck and flat fingerboard didn't work for me with extended playing.  They are really great guitars though.

I do wonder about getting them to custom build me one with a neck profile I like.