Peach v Coda

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    Sassafras said:
    You need to be able to test guitars out in a quiet room, do they both have that? It was 4 years ago last time I went to Coda, and the acoustics were upstairs I think, and it wasn't really quiet enough

Make sure you also try the many brands in the Acoustic Music Co in Brighton, which I believe has more top-spec Pro acoustics (i.e. Lowden prices and above) than all the other shops in the country put together, and does have a silent room to test guitars in
    Is that the one in St James St near Marine Parade?
    yes

The Acoustic Music Company Ltd. 
    39, St James's St 
    Brighton 
    BN2 1RG 
    United Kingdom 

Phone: 01273 671841
    From outside the UK: +44 1273 671841 

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/guitar-luithers-.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Coda are very good. I also had a nice afternoon trying out acoustics at Guitar village a few years ago.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    lookin forward to this'n. =)
    ah Lowdie territory -I've played a few - and for a new guitar the finest sounding was an Alpine topped Tasmanian Blackwood F model < > 4 years ago, I can still hear it - there were music in them there notes - whole other level sound.
    Once that guitar is played in god knows what it will sound like, and what it will 'make' it's owner play. 'F's are a tad on the small side for me, I play an 'O' from 1988.
    As I said above - remember these will be NEW guitars, I'd say the better the guitar the more it will change and develop as it gets played in - a few years depending on the top.
    happy hunting T

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    make sure you try some cedar tops
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    make sure you try some cedar tops
    I've started to realise (was reminded when I was in Guitar Guitar tryingbthings) that I often favour Cedar, and that sometimes Rosewood can he a bit ploddy - despite usually assuming that Spruce/Rosewood is the best starting point lol

I want to catch my acoustic gear experience up so am not hung up of finding the 'perfect' guitar, just something I'll enjoy experiencing 
    Red ones are better. 
    AliGorie said:
    lookin forward to this'n. =)
    ah Lowdie territory -I've played a few - and for a new guitar the finest sounding was an Alpine topped Tasmanian Blackwood F model < > 4 years ago, I can still hear it - there were music in them there notes - whole other level sound.
    Once that guitar is played in god knows what it will sound like, and what it will 'make' it's owner play. 'F's are a tad on the small side for me, I play an 'O' from 1988.
    As I said above - remember these will be NEW guitars, I'd say the better the guitar the more it will change and develop as it gets played in - a few years depending on the top.
    happy hunting T

There's a used Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood F in Peach...
    Red ones are better. 
    ah Tim, I wasn't quite clear bout THAT guitar, I was most impressed with the way GL was 'working' spruce and that was the defining aspect of that guitar. Being an owner I kept an interest in the Lowden output and had a well stocked shop nearby to try out and assess the changes in they're line over three decades
    Tasie Blkwood is an Acacia( melanoxylon) so v-similar to Koa etc, <> 55-65 SG and smooth textured in the raw, not my favorite 'sound'. I'm a rosewood - medium heavy kinda guy, for that clear overtone rich pallet of sound.
    As I said I have played a cedar / EI rosewood O25 for a long time and know it's sound intimately, GL's guitars were once known for the 'signature' sound he got from cedar  - no more, he's getting it from Euro spruce as well, only different.
    BTW - did you know that back in the '70's / '80's he used tops and braces from split the logs, unheard of outwith the individual luthier world, he also used Euro spruce for bracing the cedar tops.
    had a look at the shops u'r going to and these stuck out, I taking it the 'O' will be to big for you ?.

Lowden F50C Madagascar Rosewood Alpine
    https://www.coda-music.com/acoustic-guitars/lowden/lowden-f50c-madagascar-rosewood-alpine-spruce-bevel.html

*note* - this guitar seems to be wrongly described - it's Honduras rw. similar to the P Bensusan model, defiantly worth a try.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/14020715334058-57256--lowden-o35x-honduras-mahoganyalpine-spruce-18410
    Lowden O35X Honduras Mahogany/Alpine spruce

sorry for the ramble :3

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    The real value of Doug and the team at Coda is aftersales; when it goes wrong, or you've purchased the 'wrong' item...

They have been superb on every occasion.

Not always the case at Peach, if im being completely honest. Just sayin'... imho, ymmv etc etc

This.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Thanks again guys.

Planning the trip to Coda for Tuesday next week.

If I do go Lowden it will be a base model - the F50 is a long way beyond my means!
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Thanks again guys.

Planning the trip to Coda for Tuesday next week.

If I do go Lowden it will be a base model - the F50 is a long way beyond my means!

do try a wide selection of they're guitars to get a sense of the differences are - u'll notice many of the now famous Lowdie players started out using standard models and many still do, fine instruments.
    The '50' or custom series tend to be lawyer / accountant / dentist faves. :o    
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I tried a bunch of new Lowdens in Guitarguitar last week and they were all without exception really zingy in the top end - down to the new factory elixirs I think. Worth factoring that in because they sound considerably better with decent strings on! My 023 - now 5 years old - sounds considerably better after playing in and with non-Elixirs...
    good point Moe - I'd forgotten the put Helixiers on the showroom guits - for longevity,
    Plus as I said the 'newness' aspect - to keep in mind.
    I'd expect a shop to fit out a guitar with my choice of strings (within reason) for me to audition If I were goona spend £2k+, just a thought.

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    Coda every time. It's the best shop in the UK. I've been buying most of my gear from there for about 22 years now, despite it being 440 miles away or so. The service from Doug et al is just absolutely impeccable. 

I haven't managed to buy anything major from Peach yet, despite trying twice to get information on fairly big ticket items they had in stock that I was ready to buy. 
    I'm heading to Coda tomorrow...
    Red ones are better. 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    You should live stream it :)
    ha, yes that might be interesting. Or indeed not! 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited June 2017
    Oh my word 

I have a problem - there's half a dozen I'd buy in a heartbeat.

I have gone for lunch to reflect before going back.

Current shortlist:
    Lowden F32 Spruce/Rosewood
    Lowden F35 Cedar/Walnut
    Baranik CX Spruce/Rosewood

Notable mentions:
    Collings SJ
    Collings D2H (best dread I've ever heard by a country mile)

Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    TimmyO said:

There's a D2H in the classifieds for a good price...
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    TimmyO said:
    Oh my word 

I have a problem - there's half a dozen I'd buy in a heartbeat.

I have gone for lunch to reflect before going back.

Current shortlist:
    Lowden F32 Spruce/Rosewood
    Lowden F35 Cedar/Walnut
    Baranik CX Spruce/Rosewood

Notable mentions:
    Collings SJ

Have you tried the Lowden Pierre Bensusan?
    I have GASed hard.
    Time to head home. Pictures in about 3 hours when I get in!
    Red ones are better.