Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273

Generally it is the kick that causes the issues, and it is also the easiest thing to replace.  When the foot and hand aren't hitting at the same time there's only so much you can do with any time stretch, or cut/slip/fade method before it ruins the transients.  

Half the time I think it's better to just copy paste a hit from elsewhere if there's no option to replay it.  Or just leave it in every now and then, putting the snare in time as priority.
    A kick / snare flam doesnt bother me unless its a really flammy flam. The most annoying thing is the double bass drum part thats supposed to be this:

0---0---0---0---

but looks like this:

00-----0-0----

Separating too early double kicks is a PITA without destroying the cymbals.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited June 2017
    Generally it is the kick that causes the issues, and it is also the easiest thing to replace.  When the foot and hand aren't hitting at the same time there's only so much you can do with any time stretch, or cut/slip/fade method before it ruins the transients.  

Half the time I think it's better to just copy paste a hit from elsewhere if there's no option to replay it.  Or just leave it in every now and then, putting the snare in time as priority.
    A kick / snare flam doesnt bother me unless its a really flammy flam. The most annoying thing is the double bass drum part thats supposed to be this:

0---0---0---0---

but looks like this:

00-----0-0----

Separating too early double kicks is a PITA without destroying the cymbals.

Yeah that's an argument for using a kick pad instead of a real kick. Would make life a lot easier in this scenario.

Since I'm assuming you're not going to retrack here's how I'd deal with it.

Put everything as in time as possible that doesn't mess up cymbals. Then start copy pasting sections where he's played it correctly over the parts he's fucked up. Try to not use a part that's chronologically near where you're replacing if possible, that way nobody is going to notice that the same crash hit happens at 1:30 and 3:45 etc. This is there's repeating patterns to work with.

If it really can't be fixed, then ungroup the kick, edit the cymbals and other shells to be right, then draw in a MIDI kick. You'll have to highpass the OH, but if the music is heavy and busy enough you can probably get away with it. If you don't hear any original kick bleeding through with all instruments in it won't matter. 

The reason I'd go for copy paste over just redoing an ungrouped kick from the start is that'll preserve the natural timing difference between hands and feet as it was played. It sounds weird to me if the hands and feet hit in perfect unison, even a really tight drummer has some difference between hand and foot even when they sound dead in. 

Worst case scenario you'll have to redo it all with samples. 
    There is one section tbat every 1st bar of thr phrase has the same issue on the first 4 hits on all 10 takes :(

I think i might just trigger samples for just that section.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    So for anyone who bought the plugin, they're doing a deal to upgrade to the full SSL bundle.  It's currently $174.99 if you've got an account at Audio Deluxe.

https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/audio-plug-ins/waves-ssl-e-channel-upgrade-ssl-4000-collection
    It seems this is a new tactic from Waves.

They have cycled multiple $29 dollar plugins recently. Today's is the J37 tape. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    It seems this is a new tactic from Waves.

They have cycled multiple $29 dollar plugins recently. Today's is the J37 tape. 
    Which is a great plugin, one of my favourites on guitars and also mix bus.

The random pricing and endless sales do make a bit of a mockery of their regular pricing, though.
    Definitely.  

I think they're kind of stuck in a place where their older plugins are probably too expensive now in the current market, but they don't want to slash the price of their bundles too much further as that'd piss off a lot of people, and also make it harder to justify WUP.

I do like quite a few Waves Plugins but I've never upgraded my Gold bundle - I just add the extras I like as they go on sale.  A lot of their lower cost bundles don't contain the juicy stuff and Mercury is crazy $$$$'s, even if there are a lot of plugs in it.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I'm getting spammed by Waves daily since buying some of their $29 deals.
    Yeah they probably worked out if they rotate each of their plugins on a super low deal they can make more money total.

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I've bought a few of their plugs on sale, there's no way I could justify full price...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    edited July 2017
    wave100 said:
    I've bought a few of their plugs on sale, there's no way I could justify full price...
    It's the only way I buy them; they are worth $29, I wouldn't pay full price for any of them. 
    Puigtec EQ on sale today for $29, I've bought it. For that price it seems like a no-brainer, and I'm curious how it stacks up to my current Pultec VST, Nomad's Pulse-tec.

I have no idea why anyone would ever pay full price for anything, unless they absolutely *had* to have a particular plug license right there and then - Over the last 24 months I've picked up J37, NLS, DBX160, BSS DBR-402, Renaissance Bass, Trueverb and Supertap, for on average probably 15-20% of the list price. Just by waiting for things to show up in sales.
    edited July 2017
    Cirrus said:
    Puigtec EQ on sale today for $29, I've bought it. For that price it seems like a no-brainer, and I'm curious how it stacks up to my current Pultec VST, Nomad's Pulse-tec.

I have no idea why anyone would ever pay full price for anything, unless they absolutely *had* to have a particular plug license right there and then - Over the last 24 months I've picked up J37, NLS, DBX160, BSS DBR-402, Renaissance Bass, Trueverb and Supertap, for on average probably 15-20% of the list price. Just by waiting for things to show up in sales.

There are multiple business models that seem to work right now.

The subscription model - Slate seem to have gone all in on this, standalone licenses don't seem to be discounted much any more

The rotational larger discount sales model - which Waves seems to really be going for with these recent low priced offers... requires a larger catalogue of offerings (and I guess Waves' catalogue may generate further money through WUP)

The less frequent, lesser discount, larger holidays type sales only model - FabFilter etc

The no sales model - Uhe etc

Thing is once you've had large discounts it kind of shifts perception of the maximum value of the product...  if people know it recently sold for considerably less they might not buy something and instead wait for a sale.  I definitely see Waves as being seen like that.  Whereas if sales are pretty minor discounts or likely 3 months away and you need it now, you're more likely to pay a higher price.

Would be very interesting to actually look at how this works out ££$$ wise for companies.  And to see what newer companies manage to make work.. the subscription and larger sale thing seems to work ok for compaines with a bigger catalogue of plugins, but at some point we'll hit saturation point.  I don't post on Gearslutz but I do read it occasionally, some of the reaction to the new dynamic EQ from Sonnox IIRC was regarding the price point... not really sure of how representative GS is of the market as a whole but it does seem like price expectation is as low as ever and probably not likely to recover.

FWIW Waves do subscriptions - but I'm not really sure it's worth it for anything other than short term use, given how cheap it is to buy permanent licenses if you keep your eye on the deals.

http://www.waves.com/subscriptions
    It can be frustrating for the end user in that with the BSS 402 compressor, I bought it in the introductory sale thinking if I didn't like it I could sell the license on. As it turns out, it's fine but I've literally never felt compelled to use it among the sea of other more simple compressors in my plugin folder.

But, any time I think "ah, I might get round to selling that"... I check and it's literally always on sale, so what's the point?

Yeah, I'd be interested to see the sales figures too. Soundtoys are a good example. They've had some cracking deals in the past with free or pay-what-you-want lite-versions of their plugins, have the occasional cheaper upgrade price offers, but seem to have better maintained the perception of quality and that their bundle is worth the regular price.
    SoundToys kind of have (at least a perception of) uniqueness in their favour.  Quite a few of their plugins don't have a direct counterpart elsewhere, or at least didn't last I checked, - as opposed to something super common like a company focussed on modelling the 'classics' (la2a, 1176 etc).

Plus the SoundToys bundle is awesome.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    IMC1980 said:
    wave100 said:
    It's the only way I buy them; they are worth $29, I wouldn't pay full price for any of them. 
    I nearly always get these even cheaper at Plug in boutique or one of those other sites.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    FWIW I started out with the free soundtoys stuff last xmas and then upgraded to soundtoys 5 with a discount offer based on just those free plugs, I also just got fab filter on a bundle discount.

By contrast the only waves plugin i have so far is one of the $29 sale ones so fabfilter and soundtoys are more succesful at getting my money.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Soundtoys 5 is half price with extra discounts if you have existing individual licenses right now, just as a FYI for those who it might interest. My upgrade price is $145... it's going to be a struggle not to jump on that.
    Cant remember what mine was but it was a similar no brainer.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ