Passive vs active pickups

sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm quite new to the whole electro acoustic world. 

I have an old takamine electro and have never been quite that happy with the plugged in sound so I managed to pick up a fishman rare earth sound hole pickup which sounds awesome but is much quieter than the onboard preamp/pickup. The fishman is passive however. Is it normal for passive pickups to be much quieter than active ones?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    Yep, totally normal for a passive pickup to be quieter than an active one.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    edited June 2017

I have an old takamine electro and have never been quite that happy with the plugged in sound so I managed to pick up a fishman rare earth sound hole pickup which sounds awesome but is much quieter than the onboard preamp/pickup. The fishman is passive however. Is it normal for passive pickups to be much quieter than active ones?
    Yes - 'active' means the pickup has a built-in preamp.

I'm not 100% sure about the connections, but it should be possible to run the Fishman through the existing Takamine preamp - that way you get the best of both worlds. (It varies on some models, but if you're lucky it will be a 2.5mm mini-jack, so you would just need to shorten the Fishman cable and fit one of those to it.)

I'm not normally a fan of onboard electrics, but in fact the usual Takamine preamp has no known reliability problems (unlike some others) and since there's a whacking great plastic box in the guitar already you may as well use it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:
    I'm not 100% sure about the connections, but it should be possible to run the Fishman through the existing Takamine preamp ...
    Won't the Takamine preamp be designed for a high impedance piezo pickup input? Is there no problem running a magnetic pickup into that?
    No - the other way round would be. I've done it with quite a few different preamps.

The problem is with systems where the pickup is polarised, with a voltage on it - they aren't compatible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:
    No - the other way round would be. I've done it with quite a few different preamps.
    Ok, I knew piezos were quite fussy - needing a high impedance(?), and I assumed it might work the other way round too.
  • isnt the fishman rare earth a n active pickup, mine runs off two small battiries
    isnt the fishman rare earth a n active pickup, mine runs off two small battiries
    You can get both active and passive versions now.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11412
    ICBM said:
    isnt the fishman rare earth a n active pickup, mine runs off two small battiries
    You can get both active and passive versions now.
    Wouldn't get either though for a permanent pickup.  I'm certain they affect the vibration of the top.  They might be ok as a temporary measure, but I'd go K&K Pure Mini, or an undersaddle for a permanent installation.