Mixing with closed back 'phones?

I want to get a better pair of headphones. They'd be used for recording/tracking guitar and vocals at home.

I also need to mix mostly on headphones.

I read that open-back are better for mixing - will I b silly to try and mix using DT770 Pros ? 

Also, if I get the 250 ohm version will I be able to use them at all with my macbook's output for general listening too, or will it not drive them? 

Thanks for any pointers!
Tim
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited June 2017
    I really like Beyer headphones, I've got 80ohm 770s, and 250ohm 880s and 990s... all 'pro' models - I think the only real differences between pro and non pro are the headband clamp, which is said to be tighter on the pros, and some of the pros have coily cables (880s and 990s)

With my iPhone I'm happy with the volume of the 250 ohm pairs for casual listening, for recording though I'm not sure as I've never tried with anything except an interface or headphone amp.  You generally need more power for recording since the levels are lower than a mastered track.

For mixing the 770s will work if you learn them but like any (especially closed) headphone it will be a compromise.  They've got a lot of low end, a dip in the high mids and quite a bit of forward treble.  I don't actually find the treble a problem, if anything it is helpful to hear what's going on up there, it's the dip in the high mids I find makes them harder to judge mixes on.

I'd still pick them over Sennheisers (had HD380) and Audio Techicas (had M50, M50x) just because they're miles comfier, you can always get something else another time if you find you can't mix with them.

If you do really like the 770s and want an open back pair to mix with I'd recommend the 880s over the 990s.  They're flatter, although the 990s are fun to track with (if bleed isn't an issue) and they're my overall favorites for casual listening.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Cheers man
    Red ones are better.