Seagull Merlin Dulcimer

I popped into our local music shop to look at ukuleles for my daughter (4) who will be doing a bit at school next term. While in there I spotted this weird instrument and had a go. It was really fun. Does anyone here play one of these?  The tuning of d-a-d seems like it might be a bit limited in what it can do but I was rather taken with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I've got an Appalachian Dulcimer that I got as a teenager, although I haven't played it for years. It needs a new nut and a little bit of TLC to the tuners. That could be a little project for over the summer...
    they are really fun little things though - I bought one coz I was heavily into a couple of early Strawbs albums which feature acoustic and electric dulcimer on a few songs. 
    It's fairly easy to play as they are fretted to a scale and you can just play the paired course of strings, although you can go further and figure out chords on the drone strings too. Good fun little alternative to guitars!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I've always liked the look of these.  Presumably because of the fretting pattern, they only play in a few keys?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    You can tune the strings to what yoiu like but there are only enough frets to play certain notes
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    This is the Issue that stopped me getting it. Only playing in one key might get a bit dull after a while.