Personal Video Lessons

What's Hot
EvoEvo Frets: 308
Hi guys and gals!

I'm sure some of you have seen me pop up with various comments and classifieds around here but for those that haven't, i'm a full time player and teacher from the Leicestershire area. I've been doing regular functions and sessions for a fair old while now as well as teaching as often as I can.

One of the ideas I implemented a little while ago was to offer a recorded video lesson when a student couldn't make an appointment in person. This meant that they didn't miss out on the lesson and could review the material at their own convenience. So, following on from that idea (which proved to be rather popular with some of my busier students) I figured "why not offer the same thing online?"

If anyone is interested in getting some tuition, but for some reason either cannot or would rather not book a lesson in person, feel free to get in touch on here or through 

https://dgsessions.wordpress.com

(where there's also a little more info)

It's all tailored to your own requirements, covering a particular song, technique, style, grade or topic, just like a regular lesson would be. Only, you can't turn up to a regular lesson in your slippers and pyjamas without attracting some funny looks on the way.  

Lastly, if anyone has a problem with me posting this on here, i'll happily remove the post. It's not my intention to be stepping on any toes. I just genuinely thought some people on here might be interested. I am by no means a big internet business, just a local teacher with an idea really. 

Again, apologies if anyone has any problems. I'll happily take this down if people aren't comfortable. 

All the best!!

David
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    Out of interest only, do you do skype as well? 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    If somebody wanted it, then I'd happily oblige.

Generally, the benefit to Skype is the interaction aspect which I try to address beforehand in a recorded lesson.

There will be a dialogue between myself and any potential students before anything is agreed to make sure they get exactly what they're after. If it's something where seeing their playing myself would offer a significant benefit to the lesson, then I would ask them to record an example during this dialogue.

So I suppose, I would likely point out the benefits to the recorded option but if Skype was still their preference (for whatever reason) then it's their choice and I would have no issue providing that service.

It would, however, be subject to a cancellation policy. But that's the case for all my scheduled lessons and I'm sure most people would expect it anyway.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Any skype lessons iv had i have recorded so that i can play things back and work things out ...the only problem i see with your idea is no interaction ...the whole point for me with having a skype lesson is to ask questions ..any things im struggling on technique kind of things ...the whole thing of a good teacher is listening to what your doing and suggest what you should and shouldnt be doing and offer guidance to what you already have ...

Im maybe missing the point here though but to have a video lesson without being able to ask questions is the same as any book or lick library lesson....

Im by no means saying its a bad idea or anything but i dont really see the advantage for learning properly and having proper guidace :)
    edited July 2017
    Well, that's sort of what I addressed in my last post Barney.

90% of my teaching is done on a one to one basis. I also do offer Skype lessons, as I outlined above. But I had noticed some drawbacks to that as well, which is why I offer this in addition to those options.

I'm not suggesting that this is better than any other teaching method, just that it offers certain advantages which some people find useful. Such as the freedom to view the lesson at your own convenience, not having to commit to a set time, being able to review and rewind sections without using up valuable lesson time and in this instance, saving money!

It won't be for everyone, but for some people It's very useful :-)
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Evo said:
    Well, that's sort of what I addressed in my last post Barney.

90% of my teaching is done on a one to one basis. I also do offer Skype lessons, as I outlined above. But I had noticed some drawbacks to that as well, which is why I offer this in addition to those options.

I'm not suggesting that this is better than any other teaching method, just that it offers certain advantages which some people find useful. Such as the freedom to view the lesson at your own convenience, not having to commit to a set time, being able to review and rewind sections without using up valuable lesson time and in this instance, saving money!

It won't be for everyone, but for some people It's very useful :-)
    So you did ....i need to open my eyes :)
  • sekerisekeri Frets: 2
    I think you can post some of your lessons to the websites like https://www.myguitarworkshop.com/lessons to establish a visibility on the net. Many people do that.
    Thanks sekeri! I'll have to get onto that!
  • cool. good idea. I've just setup my session guitarist channel, check it out, hope you like it :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom