NGD

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
My trip to Coda was bloody fantastic (5+ hours in the car notwithstanding :-/

Result : see my new (to me) Baranik CX

If you're wondering what one is, me too. I'd never heard of the brand let alone the model.

Despite expecting to buy a Lowden (probably Cedar) I have a cutaway guitar in Colorado Blue Spruce and Panamanian Rosewood.

Some crappy phone pics:

It was a custom order just over 2 years ago by a guy who waited months for it, then on day 1 smacked it against his coffee table and split the top. You can see the repair in one of the pics. It was repaired (possibly by Dave King) at the time then sold by Coda to its 2nd owner who had it for 2 years then traded it in last week. 

It sounds, to me, nothing short of amazing. It gives up a big sound with the gentle finger picking, but was still one of the best I tried when cranking out strummed cowboy chords. Obviously I'm firmly in honeymoon period so I won't wibble on, but on the aesthetic front some of things that stand out better in the flesh:

The impossibly thin fingerboard binding, the odd curve to the cutaway end face, the similar figuring/emblem on the headstock and the endpin area, and the spalted maple soundhole. 

Very happy Tim. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    That's quite a looker you've got there. Hope you continue to enjoy it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Very nice!
  • Cor that's pretty!
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
    Cheers guys.

Oh yeah, and the 'label' inside is made of wood too :-) 

I've just been doing some googling re the materials (I wasn't familiar with either of the main woods) - sounds like the Blue Spruce is a quite a hefty upcharge looking at some builders' pages, and that the Panama Rosewood is a bit 'quicker' and physically lighter than EIR which fits with how much I like the sound but sometimes find other Rosewood guitars a bit ploddy.

Red ones are better. 
  • DougCodaDougCoda Frets: 642
    That's a stunning guitar,I remember it coming in and was very impressed with it. I'm not often in the acoustic shop as I'm holed up in the noisy place. I think we may have crossed paths as you went out for lunch and I popped up to the quiet place for a coffee...Thanks for coming and enjoy that guitar!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Fabulous!      I hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks. 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Looks stunning! 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    well done - great choice, no excuses now Tm - that’ll do everything you can - and a lot moresound clips ?.
    ah the fabled Dalbergia Tucurensis / Panama Rosewood touted by some esteemed luthiers as one of the best r/woods.

DougCoda said:
    That's a stunning guitar,I remember it coming in and was very impressed with it. I'm not often in the acoustic shop as I'm holed up in the noisy place. I think we may have crossed paths as you went out for lunch and I popped up to the quiet place for a coffee...Thanks for coming and enjoy that guitar!
    Ah yes that was me :-) 

It was well worth the schlepp - despite the gridlock on the way home. 

Quite a place you have there, and the guys were fantastic. 
    Red ones are better. 
    AliGorie said:
    sound clips ?.

Funny you mention it - my studio-owning friend has said he wants to hear it so I should have some nicely recorded samples soon 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Lovely looking guitar but what's the strange black protuberance on the back of the peghead? 
    It's a volute that's kind of blended in and with a veneer or stain over it. a 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4149
    Sassafras said:
    Lovely looking guitar but what's the strange black protuberance on the back of the peghead? 
    They are a bit of a design nod to how headstocks used to be attached. Nowadays as necks and headstocks on high end guitars are usually one piece, they don't fulfill any function beyond decoration to my knowledge.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    I have to say I don't like it as such (in terms of an instrument that I'd like myself), but it looks like a fantastic thing. Looking forward to clips!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    nice dat
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    That's a very smart looking guitar.  Congrats
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Blue spruce, sounds awesome. Must admit I have never heard of this brand. Happy NGD.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    @TimmyO - I can't see this in the classifieds yet. Is your internet broken?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    jellyroll said:
    @TimmyO - I can't see this in the classifieds yet. Is your internet broken?
    Fuck off! lol 

Yeah I know I was a bit all over the show over the last 6 months - I admit that I went off a bit half-cocked with the 000 and the Yamaha - on the upside it made it clearer to me the sort of sound/feel that I was after. And a bloke in a Maserati got a good deal on a Martin ;-) 

I'm supposed to be going to an open mic next week with a mate - it'll be nervewracking taking this but that's a first world problem and no mistake... 
    Red ones are better.