How do I ... How does this work ... How (etc)

What's Hot

Comments

• Misty said:
    Couple of things: When I click on someone else's thumbnail I'm taken into their messages, and I can read them. Surely that can't be right?
    You're not seeing their messages, you're seeing their public "Activity" page. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    Thanks....I realised this shortly after posting, so I deleted that part of my post, but you were very efficient and got there before me!

Also I got the email notification this time, so it's all fine.

• :((
  • :((

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    @Ttony and @monquixote

Help! I don't seem to be able to make any comments or send PMs if I use Internet Explorer 11.  I have to switch to Firefox if I want to do anything.  It keeps saying 'body is required'.  I've tried using the search function to find what to do, but drew a blank.  Any ideas?

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    edited May 2014
    Is there a button to click on so that I can keep up with my posts and any replies to them?

Edit:

Found out how to do that.

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I have to click on the "Show rich text" icon to allow me to enter text in the "Leave a comment" box. Actually, not true, it allows me my first response after logging on, then I have to use the icon. Is that normal ?. 

My browser is Chrome, btw.

Cheers.

dilbert 
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Also, can I upload photos directly from my PC or do they have to arrive via photobucket ?. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    dilbert said:
    Also, can I upload photos directly from my PC or do they have to arrive via photobucket ?. 
    They have to be already on photobucket or Flickr or picasa or some such.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    I think this has come up before but my keyboard won't come up when I click on a blank area in the reply box (nexus 7) I found it will if I tap the two opposite arrow things top right. Then I lose all the other functions. Am I doing something wrong?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Sporky said:
    Exactly the same way - just post the URL. :)
    What am I missing here? A 'tube video, copy URL, paste in post....doesn't work. :(
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Is there a search facility? I would search this department if there was one ;)

what I'm actually looking for is if someone has recommended a brand of valve or a source of valves
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself

what I'm actually looking for is if someone has recommended a brand of valve or a source of valves
    You mean like the box in the top right (underneath the banner image) cunningly disguised with the word "search" and the magnifying glass icon??

Though, to be fair, it's not wonderful.  Every time we try to incorporate a better search function, it breaks the site in some way.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited April 2014
    TTony said:

You mean like the box in the top right (underneath the banner image) cunningly disguised with the word "search" and the magnifying glass icon??

Though, to be fair, it's not wonderful.  Every time we try to incorporate a better search function, it breaks the site in some way.

Ah, you mean like the almost black little thing on the black background, with the dark grey writing inside it? So cunningly disguised, I had no idea it was there. I'm surprised there isn't a little black light that shows when you've clicked it ;) 

EDIT To be fair, it's got a blue surround that shows when you click it. I suggest putting the word SEARCH in white, or putting it in black on a white background.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    wots the "frets" bit that everybuddy has?
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    hootsmon said:
    wots the "frets" bit that everybuddy has?
    Well, I've got  7 "LOL's" and 2 "Wisdoms" (Me? "Wisdoms"??), and 9 "Frets". I think 'Frets' are made up from the number of times other members click on these 2 and the "Wow!" above the posts we make.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Also, if you go to your profile page (or someone else's for that matter) and click on the badge icons under the avatar, you get to see all the good folk on here who also have that badge.

You get badges awarded by the software for hitting landmark numbers of posts, wows etc, there was even one for the first 100 to sign up to this place, woo hop !  (what's happened to the logo for that badge then chaps?) and some still carry with pride the old "face palm" badges from the good old days before the "face palm wars" erupted.

It is the only way I know of to find someones profile and be able to then message them, etc, if they are not online or you can't find them in a discussion anywhere.  It is a bit longwinded as they appear to be in random order, probably historic as people achieved that level of fun / hilarity (in the case of lols).

There must be a better way of messaging someone, an index of members maybe?

There must be a better way of messaging someone, an index of members maybe?
    Or just click the messages icon, select new message, and then start typing the persons name into the recipients box.  The system will automatically populate a drop down list with all matching names of existing members - just select the appropriate one.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Aha, absolute genius, why didn't I think of that  (don't answer !).

I always thought that you needed to know the, often cryptic, user name in full.  That will help - thanks @TTony  :)

BTW are user names etc on there case sensitive ?

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890

You get badges awarded by the software for hitting landmark numbers of posts, wows etc, there was even one for the first 100 to sign up to this place, woo hop !  (what's happened to the logo for that badge then chaps?) and some still carry with pride the old "face palm" badges from the good old days before the "face palm wars" erupted.

Dont mention the Face Palm wars.  I'm still in therapy.  Nearly made it out before the fabled "sausage finger" incident.